Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask
Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate (emollient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate (emollient thickeners), Dicaprylyl Ether (emollient), Ethyl Macadamiate (macadamia nut oil/emollient), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agents), Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate (emollients/thickeners), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant fatty acid), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidants), Linoleic Acid, Phospholipids (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Retinyl Palmitate (vitamin A/fatty acid-based antioxidant), Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide Lysine (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Glucoside (emollient), Sclerotium Gum (thickener), Hectorite (mineral-based suspending agent), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

This is a lifesaver for my dry winter skin. Chicago is rough in the winter and as I've started dabbling with retinols, the effect has been much drier skin than normal. I usually have combination skin, by the way, so I'm wary of using products that are targeted to dry skin because it can be too much moisture. This however was perfect- the consistency is a creamy whipped-textured cream that feels soothing. I leave it on for 20 minutes minimum. You don't see it on your face after 20 min or so but as soon as you wash it (pat dry- otherwise you're undoing all your good work), you feel the thickness of the texture. My skin looks much better- bright, a little bit more glowy (or just very clean) but also and most importantly, moisturized and hydrated.

It costs around $21 for 4 fluid oz which is a good price for me. You don't need a lot, half a teaspoon is good enough for me. A great buy.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is my skin's best friend forever. It is a very creamy and rich moisturizing mask that works as promised. I apply a thick layer to my face first thing after every shower (esp. in Fall/Winter) and let it sink in while I am applying body lotion and dressing up. I take the excess off with a moistened cotton pad (DHC Silky Cotton works a treat, it is very resistant). Then I proceed with the rest of my skin care routine. Without fail it gives me a moisturized, plumbed up and youthful looking skin. It is full of good ingredients for my skin (e.g. olive, borage seed and evening primrose oils, phospholipids, vitamins C and E, sodium hyaluronate), is very soothing, never irritating and costs a very reasonable $21 for a 4 oz. tube. What is not to love?

Bottom line: LOVE. Have repurchased, will repurchase, always.

If you're looking at these reviews debating, buy it!! I highly recommend and I'm someone who buys and researches just about everything. A true product junkie. This entire line is amazing. I have very dry skin and have never seen a product give the results like this. The whole line is like that - amazing. Leaves skin glowing and fresh - so healthy.

on 10/27/2013 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Like so many, I did not use this as a mask. Perhaps if I had, I would not have gotten a few breakouts as a result. I used it as a regular moisturizer overnight when my skin was horribly dry and I was trying to rehydrate it and the following day I wore it under a (light) zinc oxide only sunscreen as I was trying to find something that would protect my skin from the effect of the zo sucking all the moisture out of my skin (I seem to be having trouble right now with mineral sunscreens doing that). After those two uses, I ended up with two surface zits and one place that felt like it would develop into cystic acne. So, obviously, using this as a moisturizer for me is to heavy for me. I won't buy an entire tube but probably will keep around sample packs for occasional mask use when my skin feels very dry. I'm now using PC Skin Recovery Moisturizer during the day and Moisture Boost Moisturizer at night.

ETA: I have since used it as a mask only, wearing it for a few hours at a time, and experienced no acne or sensitivity.

9/9/16: This mask now stings. I find 100% Pure's Aqua Boost Hydrating Mask to be incredibly moisturizing and soothing, and it is now my preferred moisturizing mask.

on 10/9/2012 8:23:00 PM

I use this two ways: (1) as a mask while I'm in the bathtub after cleansing my face, so my skin won't lose moisture, and (2) as a moisturizer on the nights when I want to give my skin a break from retinol, exfoliants, and other heavy-duty products. If using as a mask, I just wipe off with a moist washcloth when I get out of the bath, then apply my normal skincare. When my skin just needs a break, this is what I reach for (after the RESIST toner) and it absorbs surprisingly well on my combo skin, considering it's designed as a "mask" product. Also works really well around the eyes and over the decollete area. It's a good deal for the 4 oz. size, considering the cost of other PC moisturizers.

on 1/24/2009 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a great moisturizing mask that can be used as a mask or left on as an intensive moisturizer. It's a thick cream with no smell that is good during the winter and on plane trips (leave on and rinse off after arrival). It absorbs fairly quickly and is very similar to the Avene Instant Soothing Mask but I prefer Paula's because the ingredients are excellent. The only thing is that around my eyes it can be irritating. I've been using this for a year and I will keep using it.

This is what Paula says: "Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask drenches normal to very dry skin with a creamy blend of enriching emollients, soothing plant oils, beneficial antioxidants, and skin-friendly water-binding agents. Ideal for an occasional indulgence or for times when skin feels dry and dehydrated. Your skin is left feeling wonderfully soft, moist, and supple."

Price: 14.95 for a 118 ml tube (cheaper in the US) from paulaschoice-eu.com

Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate (emollient), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin (water-binding agents), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Propylene Glycol Laurate (emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient thickener), Ethyl Macadamiate (macadamia nut oil/emollient), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agent), Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate (emollients/thickeners), Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agent), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (all non-irritating antioxidant plant oils), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Linoleic Acid (emollient), Phospholipids (cell-communicating ingredient), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Propylene Glycol Isostearate (emulsifier), Carbomer (thickener), Ethylcellulose (film-forming agent), Aminomethyl Propanol (pH adjuster), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol (all preservatives).

A cure-all when winter skin gets dry and flaky. A miracle product when left on overnight -- awaken with smooth, perfect skin. Ahhh!

on 12/19/2007 9:15:00 PM

I bought a couple of samples of this mask to try it out and my skin felt absolutely great after using it-very soft and smooth. My one complaint though is that this product does have a bit of a strong smell- but i might just be a bit sensitive. Overall, it is a very good moisturizing mask.

I find this facial mask to be excellent. I love using it when my skin has just had enough- either too much exfoliation, or else just stubborn dry patches that won't go away, even after intense moisturization. The winters are very cold here, and I also use Retin-A micro, so about three times during the winter months I whip out this facial mask and just slather it on. What I really like about it, is that it goes on kinda slick, but then sinks into my skin in about five minutes. I usually leave this on for about twenty minutes, and can actually see the moisture pouring itself back in. My skin always looks plump and radiant after I rinse this off, and it feels satisfied. I've never broken out from it, and I know I can count on this to take my skin back to a normal texture each time I use it. I wouldn't say this is for the hot humid summer months, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a tube of this during the fall and winter.

on 1/29/2006 4:45:00 AM

Because I have a mild form of rosacea I have to use very mild produkts without parfum and other irritating ingredients. Well, now during this cold winter and the hot central heating my skin turns out to be really dry. I tried this mask and I really love it. You can use it as a mask, rinse it off or as a creme, also around the eyes. It leaves my skin moisturized and healthy. Defenitely stick to it!