Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask
Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

4.1

Not tested on animals

Water, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate (emollient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate (emollient thickeners), Dicaprylyl Ether (emollient), Ethyl Macadamiate (macadamia nut oil/emollient), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agents), Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate (emollients/thickeners), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant fatty acid), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidants), Linoleic Acid, Phospholipids (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Retinyl Palmitate (vitamin A/fatty acid-based antioxidant), Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide Lysine (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Glucoside (emollient), Sclerotium Gum (thickener), Hectorite (mineral-based suspending agent), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 4/17/2011 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Best moisturizer ever! Forget that is says 'mask' in the name, it's perfect as a moisturizer. This is my favourite night cream and I can't even remember how many tubes I've gone through.
------------
PROS:
- Perfect as a rich cream (I've never used it as a mask) for dry skin. It has helped me survive several winters. I dare you to still have dry patches after using this!
- Great lightweight texture, considering it's such a rich cream. Not classic Nivea cream or Creme de la Mer at all; it's very easy to apply.
- Non irritating - which is what Paula's products are know for. No colouring or fragrances.
- Contains anti-oxidants - YAY! I never want to get old, so I pair this cream with an anti-oxident rich serum by PC.
- Clean looking airtight packaging.
- Good price point. Also, this 'mask' is a way better deal than the 'moisturizers' from PC. It contains 118 ml (4 fl.) and costs around 16 euros, while the regular creams contains 60 ml (2 fl.) and costs around 20 euros.
-----------
CON:
- This really bugs me: the tube contains 118 ml, which is too much for a 'liquid' product to bring in your handluggage on an airplane. Why can't it be 100 ml? I've smuggled it in many times though, by just putting it in the little plastic bag with confidence. Who can tell it's 118 instead of 100, right? I risk getting my beloved cream thrown away every time though.
- You can't buy PC products in the store, only online.
----------
If you have dry skin or dry patches, try this 'mask'/night cream out! Samples can be ordered from PC's website. I was hooked from the start and don't even search for 'the next best thing' anymore. My roommate, mother AND boyfriend now use this moisturizer! If it ever gets discontinued, I'll cry.

on 4/10/2013 11:03:00 AM

I gave this product 5 lippies with a slightly different perspective.

This so called, "hydrating treatment mask" really doesn't work well as a mask. So I would give this product a horrible rating if I were to rate it as the sole purpose of using it as a mask. It's a bad bad mask.

But Read On. Why do I love this product?

TEXTURE: It's a light textured, not so heavy, ever so slightly thick lotion like texture. If you have all used Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion, it's lighter than that but not a runny consistency.

No breakouts, no whiteheads, etc.
No fragrances, no harsh additives, Non-greasy.
Love this aspect.

PRICE: $16? You'll definitely get your bucks out of this product. Here is why.

I live in Toronto Canada and it gets very cold and dry in the winter.
I am 24 years old, have normal to dry skin which was pulling in every direction as soon as I landed in Toronto a few months ago. I was looking for a solution so I initially searched for a mask until I ordered this product accidently.

I apply a very thin layer of this mask over a cream or daily moisturizer if I feel like I need something extra, depending on the weather and the condition of my skin. It seems to work, it really hydrates and my skin absorbs it.

Recently, I have been getting more creative and used this mask by mixing a pea size amount with 1-2 drops of face oil (Bobbi Brown Extra Face Oil or Darphin Rose Aromatic Care) and applying directly to my face at night. I've always found applying face oil a difficult task for me. I seem to have a heavy hand and I can't help myself. But this trick actually seems to help the face oil to absorb into my skin faster, thanks to this Paula's Choice mask. This helps to relieve my skin for the night and my face is so soft in the morning when I wake up.

FINAL VERDICT:
Although this product doesn't live up to its true purpose as advertised, I think they should just change the name to "Multipurpose Cream" and sell sell sell. At $15 a tube, it's a bargain in my opinion. It's just a simple moisturizer that doesn't do any harm to your skin and you can mix with other products or layer it depending on your needs. I sometimes even apply some on my hand if I see it.

Try it, and if it doesn't work for you as a mask or even as a moisturizer I'm sure you can figure out a creative way to use this product, ONLY because this product doesn't have any complex ingredients.

This is a well-formulated, effective product that I will continue to repurchase. I never use it as a mask - I use it as a more intense moisturizer. It's $14.95 for 4oz.

Background: I have normal/combo (slightly dry/slightly oily depending on season) acne-prone skin that has dramatically improved since I've been more diligent about potentially irritating ingredients (ie alcohol). I don't have sensitive skin in the conventional sense - my skin is very tolerant of products. However, I would breakout consistently using anything even just remotely not suggested for acne-prone skin. Before buying a product I refer to beautypedia.com, the cosmetic ingredient dictionary (on same site), and MUA! My acne used to be the painful bumps under the skin that would take weeks to surface. Since using Paula's Choice products I only get the occassional spot. My current skincare regimen is used in tandem with regular workouts. For me, this alleviated all hormonal breakouts (because working out balances your hormones, and sweating changes the PH of your skin - don't know if the PH part matters for acne though).

Usage: As I mentioned, I use this as a night time moisturizer when my skin is particularly dry. I've never used it as a wash-off mask. It's a thicker cream consistency. In the winter time, I use this over Retin-A treatments/antioxidant serums for extra hydration. I use it after toning and a BHA or AHA product.

Results: This has absolutely never caused me breakouts, unlike the PC antioxidant serums (which have caused me to break out now and again). My skin is always hydrated after use. My skin looks healthier and refreshed. I will continue to re-use. This honestly moisturizes without having to slather on the product. I actually wake up in the morning without ANY flakey dry skin after use (keep in mind I'm usually slightly dry at worst, unless I've over-treated my skin)!

I only buy this on sale, since the PC website always rotates product sales I never buy anything full price. Also, check for online discount codes because you can double up your savings like that.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this 6 months ago and completely forgot about it. Cleaning out my drawer I found it and decided to use it because my face was parched due to the winter months. Soooo glad I did. I know it's a mask but I slather it on after my skin care routine at night and sleep in it. The next day My skin feels so hydrated and soft. In a few days it has completely changed my skin. This will definetly stay in my winter arsenal. Ladies 40 plus, this is a godsend if you have dry skin as a sleeping mask. Even better than the Korres Sleeping mask facial.. Will repurchase for sure when I run out. Oh, and no scent! Which I love! 😊

PROS: Many use this as a mask and rinse off, but I leave it on all night. And when I'm very dry, even use it under my foundation. If I apply lightly, will not even ball up under my foundation like some moisturizers do. It's VERY moisturizing for my dry skin.(Best thing I've ever found for giving moisture, without leaving a crisco oil slick on my face.) Full of antioxidants. No harsh/artificial scent. So gentle and feels nourishing to my skin. I'm seeing a difference in my skin: wrinkles are softened, dry patches are GONE, and redness is lessened. I love to use this for eye cream at night. No animal testing. The price is very reasonable.

CONS: Leaves a very slight stickiness left over. May be too much moisture for some, but certainly it's clear by the description on the site/bottle that this is for very dry skin.

APPLICATION TIPS: Great for eye cream. And I love this for a night cream (don't wash it off) and even under my spf in the morning, when I'm very dry.

ALTERNATES: Paula's Resist Barrier Repair is much lighter but still quite moisturizing. The regular moisturizer under the Skin Recovery line by Paula is a bit lighter than this, if this is too much for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE this stuff! I use a bit of it with the weekly resurfacing treatment (see my review) for dewy, fresh, renewed skin. I'll use it before bedtime when my skin feels dry and looks dull. I'll use it instead of other PC products when I feel it needs something gentle but still hydrating. I use a tiny pea sized amount to my morning makeup routine. I have repurchased it and will continue to do so. It works and it feel lovely. I have dry, sensitive skin and this one always works well with its needs.

on 1/29/2016 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is designed to replenish moisture in dry or sensitive skin that is tight and itchy or flaky. My skin is combination to slightly oily and so I rarely need this, but in winter my skin does become drier and I find it helpful to restore balance to my skin.

The mask is rather thick and creamy and feels like cold cream going on, but it soon sets to a mostly invisible finish for the twenty minutes you are supposed to leave it on. It's never completely matte and dry like a clay or charcoal mask. It feels soothing and non-irritating. It contains anti-oxidants. There is no noticeable fragrance. After twenty minutes when I wash off the mask, the skin does feel fresher and softer, and less like a desert.

I don't recommend this as an all-night sleeping mask because it can rub off on your pillows and sheets. I rinse it off after twenty minutes.

$21 for 4 ounces isn't bad when I compare the price to other brands such as LUSH or Fresh or Origins. It's cheaper than masks from Peter Thomas Roth. It comes in a tube with a flip cap, which I prefer to jar packaging.

Paula's Choice products are cruelty free.

You can usually get a free sample of this if you buy other Paula's Choice products. If you don't see it among the free sample options at checkout, you can select a sample size from the pull-down menu on the product page and try a packet for eighty cents. Most of the products are available in travel packets so it's easy to try the product before buying a full size. For overnights those foil packets of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer can save you from packing a larger duffel.

Key Ingredients: Glycine soja sterols, tocopherol, linoleic acid, macadamia nut oil, apricot kernel oil, olive oil/olive fruit oil, glycerin, evening primrose oil, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, phospholipid, vitamin C, sodium hyaluronate, borage seed oil, ascorbyl palmitate, vitamin E, caprylic/capric triglyceride, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, glyceryl behanate

Product Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate (emollient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Alcohol (emollient thickeners), Glyceryl Stearate (emollient thickeners), Dicaprylyl Ether (emollient), Ethyl Macadamiate (macadamia nut oil/emollient), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agents), Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone/water-binding agents), Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate (emollients/thickeners), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (all non-fragrant antioxidant plant oils), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant fatty acid), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidants), Linoleic Acid (cell-communicating ingredients), Phospholipids (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Retinyl Palmitate (vitamin A/fatty acid-based antioxidant), Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide Lysine (skin-repairing ingredient), Cetearyl Glucoside (emollient), Sclerotium Gum (thickener), Hectorite (mineral-based suspending agent), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is my skin's best friend forever. It is a very creamy and rich moisturizing mask that works as promised. I apply a thick layer to my face first thing after every shower (esp. in Fall/Winter) and let it sink in while I am applying body lotion and dressing up. I take the excess off with a moistened cotton pad (DHC Silky Cotton works a treat, it is very resistant). Then I proceed with the rest of my skin care routine. Without fail it gives me a moisturized, plumbed up and youthful looking skin. It is full of good ingredients for my skin (e.g. olive, borage seed and evening primrose oils, phospholipids, vitamins C and E, sodium hyaluronate), is very soothing, never irritating and costs a very reasonable $21 for a 4 oz. tube. What is not to love?

Bottom line: LOVE. Have repurchased, will repurchase, always.

on 10/27/2013 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Like so many, I did not use this as a mask. Perhaps if I had, I would not have gotten a few breakouts as a result. I used it as a regular moisturizer overnight when my skin was horribly dry and I was trying to rehydrate it and the following day I wore it under a (light) zinc oxide only sunscreen as I was trying to find something that would protect my skin from the effect of the zo sucking all the moisture out of my skin (I seem to be having trouble right now with mineral sunscreens doing that). After those two uses, I ended up with two surface zits and one place that felt like it would develop into cystic acne. So, obviously, using this as a moisturizer for me is to heavy for me. I won't buy an entire tube but probably will keep around sample packs for occasional mask use when my skin feels very dry. I'm now using PC Skin Recovery Moisturizer during the day and Moisture Boost Moisturizer at night.

ETA: I have since used it as a mask only, wearing it for a few hours at a time, and experienced no acne or sensitivity.

9/9/16: This mask now stings. I find 100% Pure's Aqua Boost Hydrating Mask to be incredibly moisturizing and soothing, and it is now my preferred moisturizing mask.

on 10/25/2012 2:40:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Being a skincare junkie, always looking for the next "it" treatment and trying promising "miracle potions" left and right - I sometimes get my complexion in trouble :( My bathroom sink is littered with all kinds of cleansers, scrubs, toners and exfoliating treatments...its a disaster area that i am always trying to organize, downsize and arrange in some kind of order...Resistance is futile and i am messy so its always a work in progress!
So when i go overboard with exfoliation, AHA treatments, acne creams or simply get a mysterious rash (yuck!) this mask is my HERO! No matter how much i mess up Skin Recovery always soothes any redness, flakies or mini-burns. Its gentle, not greasy, fragrance-free and thanks to the gel-like texture it feels great on the skin so much so that i often forget that i have it on my face. Thats no easy feat!
Aside from the soothing properties i have found that this mask works even better when paired with either a clay or deep cleansing mask. The purifying effects derived from the cleansing mask are complimented by the hydration of this one. It seems to restore skin balance after any treatment, soothing, moisturizing and softening the complexion almost instantly.
Did i mention that this is also priced very reasonably and using light layers insures that a tube will last you a long-long time!
I will hoard this always! Just in case they discontinue it or needlesly change the formula :( Paula's Choice i am once again your #1 FAN!