Sue Devitt Triple C-weed Loose Powder

Filtered by hair type : Straight
No Image

on 5/20/2008 2:29:00 PM

ABOUT ME:I have combination, acne-prone skin and am on retinoids. At the time I tested this powder, I was recovering from a glycerin-induced breakout (DAMN YOU, GLYCERIN!!) and the skin treatments I was using contrived to make my already bumpy, clogged, and scarred skin also dry, dull and prone to flakiness. Given the state of my skin, I did not want a mattifying powder. I looked up top-rated loose powders here and chose Sue Devitt's C-weed powder since it was liked by a lot of dry-skinned types.

COLOR:I have light, yellow-toned skin (I'm usually the 2nd lightest of the warm shades in most cosmetics lines). I got this in Tanami first but it was about two shades too dark and made me look jaundiced. Quiet & Still was a better match (though not perfect) but would oxidize darker as the day went on . Bummer, since there are no lighter shades. These powders seem most suitable for those in the medium skintone range.

APPLICATION: I normally use a skunk brush to apply this in order to ensure a light, even application that won't disturb concealer. But sometimes I use the fat little puff that's included and that works very well too. Just sprinkle a little powder on the puff, fold it in half and rub in order to distribute the powder, then bang it on your hand once or twice to get rid of excess, then gently press onto skin to set makeup, etc. It's a tiny puff but
surprisingly cushy and not cheap-feeling.

LOOK: This is like perfect skin in a jar! Upon initial application with my Prescriptives bronzer brush (a jumbo-sized skunk brush), I got that coveted subtle glow--my skin looked like satin, but not artificially shiny or glittery. Any unevenness, bumpiness, flakiness, etc. was disguised beautifully but without compromising feel (this felt lighter than mineral makeup) and finish (gorgeous and natural). My dry bits did not look dry and my oily bits stayed under control. Overall, healthy and non-makeup-y if it's not applied very heavily.

WEAR: I went to class with my makeup looking pretty good, but expected it wouldn't last due to the humid weather. When I came home a few hours later, I checked my face and was surprised and happy to see that the powder was still on and 'working'--my skin still looked like great. My t-zone was a tad shinier than I prefer but it didn't look greasy.

PRICE: So I found that this stuff (in the old packaging) was going at ridiculously low prices on a certain auction website. But even at full price, it's not so bad. You get a very generous amount, however, and SD's prices are high-end but not outside the boundaries of reason like T. LeClerc or Chanel. As comparison: SD's powder is 25.5 grams, whereas Bobbi Brown's Sheer Loose Powder is a measly 7.5 grams. Even L'Oreal Translucide powder is only 14.5 grams. So this stuff is actually a bargain when you factor the amount you're getting for the price. And I do love the presentation of Sue Devitt products--it feels like you're getting a little gift :)

VERDICT: I think that if you have decent skin without any glaring blemishes or discolorations, this would be perfect on its own for giving a nice polish to the skin since it gives more coverage than most loose powders. I won't repurchase, though. After about two weeks of daily wear, I found that this clogged my pores and made me break out. Of course, YMMV (I have very cloggable skin). It's a good product and worth a try if you have dry skin, are not acne-prone and can get a decent color match.
continued >>

on 11/15/2007 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great product, but best, I think, for mature skin. I'm over 40 and find that a lot of powders just cake up, settle into my fine lines and look dry. Sue Devitt's Triple C-weed Loose Powder doesn't do any of that on me; it offers a nice light dewy finish. I do get a little shiny around my nose and forehead if I'm running around all day in hot weather, but blotting papers take care of that; honestly I'd rather have a little shine than an aging, crepey, dry finish.

I'm a PPP, therefore my shade is Quiet & Still - the lightest. I do NOT use the puff that this comes with. Rather, I tap powder from the container into its lid, and use my powder brush to apply it over my foundation, concealer and cream blush if I'm using it. It disappears in and looks lovely, not at all powdery.

It's spendy, but well worth it for a powder that has natural ingredients in it and offers such a lovely, non-powdery finish. Plus a little goes a long way - I dip my brush in the powder, tap off the excess, and apply. You don't need much, so the somewhat small jar really does last.

Highly recommended for those who want a dewy finish, and who have dry or mature skin.

on 6/11/2004 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This powder sets the makeup nicely without looking obvious. If you use a good brush to apply you have a lot of control over the amount of powder you're putting on your skin, and it has a nice silky texture.

UPDATE: this powder does have color in it, so it's important to get the right color match. As you know, translucent powder doesn't add any color to your face, but this does, so if you are too light the color in the powder will darken your foundation after you touch up a few times. In fact, I am a little concerned that in the winter when my face goes one shade paler, this shade might be too dark, but for summer it's lovely.

I have combination skin. I use the lightest color, Quiet & Still. (For reference I am a N3 in MAC studiofix and Warm Ivory in Laura Mercier.)

The price is reasonable compared to other lines and the amount of product you get in the container. You get 25.5 g, almost an ounce of product in this tub.

I like the packaging. You can shake a little out at a time without making a big mess.

I was using MAC translucent Blot powder before and Sue's powder is SOOO much better. I am still a big MAC fan, and this is the only Sue product I currently own, but I think it's a great powder.