Sue Devitt Triple C-weed Loose Powder

No Image

3.8

on 2/16/2009 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Most days are minimal makeup days for me. Therefore, the ultimate test of any tinted skin application is whether or not it goes unnoticed. I'm not saying that I don't like coverage - I have areas on my face that appear to be one big brown scar, the bittersweet remains of cystic clusters, that I like to cover up, but NEVER to the point that my makeup becomes a mask. So when I tried out this powder for first time (around the house, on half my face), I did a sprightly dance when my partner pointed to the non-makeup side of my face and asked, "What's with all that makeup?" I think this is the ONE. I love how it blends during application (I've only used the included puff so far, to tap in on and then downward strokes to blend) and the feel of it on my skin afterwards (silky, not heavy or distractingly noticeable). I really hope this doesn't break me out - if it does, I'll be back to update. For reference, I have this in Great Sandy Desert and it seems to go on just slightly darker (bronzer?), and less yellow, than my NC30 Studio Fix Powder. EDIT: No breakouts, but holy oxidization! Must be my oilier summer skin. Minus 2 lippies, since this appears to be a wearable in winter only.

on 5/20/2008 2:29:00 PM

ABOUT ME:I have combination, acne-prone skin and am on retinoids. At the time I tested this powder, I was recovering from a glycerin-induced breakout (DAMN YOU, GLYCERIN!!) and the skin treatments I was using contrived to make my already bumpy, clogged, and scarred skin also dry, dull and prone to flakiness. Given the state of my skin, I did not want a mattifying powder. I looked up top-rated loose powders here and chose Sue Devitt's C-weed powder since it was liked by a lot of dry-skinned types.

COLOR:I have light, yellow-toned skin (I'm usually the 2nd lightest of the warm shades in most cosmetics lines). I got this in Tanami first but it was about two shades too dark and made me look jaundiced. Quiet & Still was a better match (though not perfect) but would oxidize darker as the day went on . Bummer, since there are no lighter shades. These powders seem most suitable for those in the medium skintone range.

APPLICATION: I normally use a skunk brush to apply this in order to ensure a light, even application that won't disturb concealer. But sometimes I use the fat little puff that's included and that works very well too. Just sprinkle a little powder on the puff, fold it in half and rub in order to distribute the powder, then bang it on your hand once or twice to get rid of excess, then gently press onto skin to set makeup, etc. It's a tiny puff but
surprisingly cushy and not cheap-feeling.

LOOK: This is like perfect skin in a jar! Upon initial application with my Prescriptives bronzer brush (a jumbo-sized skunk brush), I got that coveted subtle glow--my skin looked like satin, but not artificially shiny or glittery. Any unevenness, bumpiness, flakiness, etc. was disguised beautifully but without compromising feel (this felt lighter than mineral makeup) and finish (gorgeous and natural). My dry bits did not look dry and my oily bits stayed under control. Overall, healthy and non-makeup-y if it's not applied very heavily.

WEAR: I went to class with my makeup looking pretty good, but expected it wouldn't last due to the humid weather. When I came home a few hours later, I checked my face and was surprised and happy to see that the powder was still on and 'working'--my skin still looked like great. My t-zone was a tad shinier than I prefer but it didn't look greasy.

PRICE: So I found that this stuff (in the old packaging) was going at ridiculously low prices on a certain auction website. But even at full price, it's not so bad. You get a very generous amount, however, and SD's prices are high-end but not outside the boundaries of reason like T. LeClerc or Chanel. As comparison: SD's powder is 25.5 grams, whereas Bobbi Brown's Sheer Loose Powder is a measly 7.5 grams. Even L'Oreal Translucide powder is only 14.5 grams. So this stuff is actually a bargain when you factor the amount you're getting for the price. And I do love the presentation of Sue Devitt products--it feels like you're getting a little gift :)

VERDICT: I think that if you have decent skin without any glaring blemishes or discolorations, this would be perfect on its own for giving a nice polish to the skin since it gives more coverage than most loose powders. I won't repurchase, though. After about two weeks of daily wear, I found that this clogged my pores and made me break out. Of course, YMMV (I have very cloggable skin). It's a good product and worth a try if you have dry skin, are not acne-prone and can get a decent color match.
continued >>

I think it's a high quality product. As other reviewers said, it controls shine well and sets makeup nicely without looking chalky. It has very good coverage as loose powder since it is quite pigmented. If I use a very light hand, it looks nice. But if I use a bit too much, it makes my face look made up, adding too much color (maybe it is because the shade tanami is a bit too deep for me). Personally I prefer sheerer powders. A good product if you're looking for a good coverage loose powder.

on 4/5/2006 4:15:00 AM

If you don't have dry skin, you probably won't notice how fine the powder really is. I have dried skin and this is by far, the most natural, sheer, and moist powder I've tried. I've tried Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, T. Leclerc, Maybelline, Covergirl, Chanel, Dior, YSL, Estee Lauder, etc. None of them compare. I have it in tsunami and it's great for my light olive skintone. The only downside is the price and the packaging. The puff it comes with is entirely useless. It's barely big enough and fit on a few fingers. But the powder itself makes up for that.