Sue Devitt Triple C-weed Loose Powder

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.5

on 5/20/2008 2:29:00 PM

ABOUT ME:I have combination, acne-prone skin and am on retinoids. At the time I tested this powder, I was recovering from a glycerin-induced breakout (DAMN YOU, GLYCERIN!!) and the skin treatments I was using contrived to make my already bumpy, clogged, and scarred skin also dry, dull and prone to flakiness. Given the state of my skin, I did not want a mattifying powder. I looked up top-rated loose powders here and chose Sue Devitt's C-weed powder since it was liked by a lot of dry-skinned types.

COLOR:I have light, yellow-toned skin (I'm usually the 2nd lightest of the warm shades in most cosmetics lines). I got this in Tanami first but it was about two shades too dark and made me look jaundiced. Quiet & Still was a better match (though not perfect) but would oxidize darker as the day went on . Bummer, since there are no lighter shades. These powders seem most suitable for those in the medium skintone range.

APPLICATION: I normally use a skunk brush to apply this in order to ensure a light, even application that won't disturb concealer. But sometimes I use the fat little puff that's included and that works very well too. Just sprinkle a little powder on the puff, fold it in half and rub in order to distribute the powder, then bang it on your hand once or twice to get rid of excess, then gently press onto skin to set makeup, etc. It's a tiny puff but
surprisingly cushy and not cheap-feeling.

LOOK: This is like perfect skin in a jar! Upon initial application with my Prescriptives bronzer brush (a jumbo-sized skunk brush), I got that coveted subtle glow--my skin looked like satin, but not artificially shiny or glittery. Any unevenness, bumpiness, flakiness, etc. was disguised beautifully but without compromising feel (this felt lighter than mineral makeup) and finish (gorgeous and natural). My dry bits did not look dry and my oily bits stayed under control. Overall, healthy and non-makeup-y if it's not applied very heavily.

WEAR: I went to class with my makeup looking pretty good, but expected it wouldn't last due to the humid weather. When I came home a few hours later, I checked my face and was surprised and happy to see that the powder was still on and 'working'--my skin still looked like great. My t-zone was a tad shinier than I prefer but it didn't look greasy.

PRICE: So I found that this stuff (in the old packaging) was going at ridiculously low prices on a certain auction website. But even at full price, it's not so bad. You get a very generous amount, however, and SD's prices are high-end but not outside the boundaries of reason like T. LeClerc or Chanel. As comparison: SD's powder is 25.5 grams, whereas Bobbi Brown's Sheer Loose Powder is a measly 7.5 grams. Even L'Oreal Translucide powder is only 14.5 grams. So this stuff is actually a bargain when you factor the amount you're getting for the price. And I do love the presentation of Sue Devitt products--it feels like you're getting a little gift :)

VERDICT: I think that if you have decent skin without any glaring blemishes or discolorations, this would be perfect on its own for giving a nice polish to the skin since it gives more coverage than most loose powders. I won't repurchase, though. After about two weeks of daily wear, I found that this clogged my pores and made me break out. Of course, YMMV (I have very cloggable skin). It's a good product and worth a try if you have dry skin, are not acne-prone and can get a decent color match.
continued >>

on 6/19/2007 4:01:00 AM

This powder does what its meant too but I really don't notice that being any different than any other powders I've tried

I have the color in great sandy desert which is a great match. In the beginning I was already reaching for it but now I'm leaning towards Bare Escentuals makeup mroe often now and just leaving this in my cupboard

on 6/4/2007 10:33:00 PM

I've been using Sue Devitt's Loose Powder shade Summer Monsoon for approx. a year, which is a very flattery shade for a medium brown skin w/ golden undertone woman of colour. It definitely brightens my complexion but has a tendency to change colour. Also, it has very little oil controlling properties especially when hot and humid. It does a slightly above average job of controlling my oil in the fall to early spring months. The colour and texture of this powder is so fine and is best applied with a powder brush. I love how it looks very natural and gives a semi matte look when first applied. But as my oils break through especially on my T zone, on certain days (especially when really hot), my face can appear as an oil slick! Not attractive! Also, using a powder puff tends to make it appear slightly powdery on the skin. This is the only face makeup I'm using now as I can't find an acceptable face foundation colour for my skin tone yet there are reasonably good shades for black women of extremes (i.e., very light or very dark)...but when it comes to medium tone black women, they seem to exclude us! Also, the price of this powder is mighty expensive. I can't recall the exact price but I believe it was over $40 CND not including taxes. But then again, I recall spending more for my bobbi brown pressed powder that was more pricier and the absolute worst in oil control. I would definitely recommend this product to those wanting a finishing powder but not an oil controlling powder. UPDATE: July 31, 2008. I no longer use this product. I haven't been using it for the past 2 weeks or so. I previously indicated, it has minimal shine control. Also, it doesn't give a good coverage. Plus, it does darken after wear for several hours. Probably best as a finishing powder. I have therefore changed my overall rating to a *2* star. I need something slightly heavier and a shine control powder like MUFE Duo Matt Powder Foundation!

on 4/26/2006 2:04:00 AM

This is a major dissapoitment to me.

PROS-
Great pigment
Matte Finish

CONS-
Really hard to apply
Messy
Too dark ( I purchased the tanami concealer thinking the tanami loose powder would also work)

Would not repurchase.

on 3/14/2006 4:43:00 PM

I will start out by saying, yes this is quite expensive, however I think it is totally worth the price. I have never like powder because of the way it feels on my skin and never felt that it looked natural..so over the years i have tried many just to see...nonne fit the bill except for this one. I already use sue devitt seaweed foundations and have found that i love this powder over them (if i am going out and want a polished look) or even better i just brush some on my face with concealor and lipstick and my skin looks very smooth and clean and polished. You can reapply this powder and it will not cake or settle, has a very smooth silky feel even after it is applied to the skin. I have this in Quiet&Still and am a PPP, redhead with blue-green eyes.

on 9/4/2005 2:04:00 AM

Let me first get my pet peeve about this out of the way - why even include a little puff that small? It would take FOREVER to apply this powder with taht tiny little thing. I use a powder brush and find the process a lot easier.

This sets the foundation well - and cuts down on the shine that inevitably happens in summer. It's a little expensive for the amount - but gven how well it matches my skintone I will repurchase.EDIT: I've decided against repurchasing this. For some reason, this has started to go on uneven over my foundation. I haven't done anything different so I am not sure what is going on but it is way to expensive for this to be happening.

oh, I have this in Tanami (I am N4 in MAC)

I like this poweder alot although it is a little expensive. I have had no breakouts from it and it matches my skintone nicely and that means alot to me . It sets my makeup well and does not leave me looking extremely oily by the middle of the day. I will use it again.

on 12/10/2004 4:01:00 PM

Anyone who is lighter then a NC30 should not buy this. I'm an NC25, and purchased the lightest shade(quiet and still) which is WAY too dark for me. Now, about the product...the price is insane for the quality you get; frankly, I don't really see a difference between this and some other drugstore brand. I've already gotten my $60 refund. Enough said.

on 9/26/2004 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

If you hate foundations, but you want to even out your skintone, this is the perfect powder! It's everything that I wanted a powder foundation to be, but it's a loose powder! It controls oil and evens out my skintone, but it doesn't dry out my skin. And I can build the coverage from medium to full, but it looks like my skin only better. I'm so happy with this powder! It gives the most long lasting flawless finish of any loose powder that I have tried, and it sets my concealer wonderfully! I even like it better than my beloved Chanel and LM loose powders. I don't need a foundation with this powder, and I would not use this with a foundation because it simply works better by itself. I purchased Nullabar Plain for $30 at Sephora for my NC35-42 tan skintone/mmm&ggg, and it's a perfect match! It comes with a high quality powderpuff, although it a little too small for me to use. I prefer to apply this by buffing it into my skin with a sponge applicator for a more glowing flawless appearance. I'm so glad I gave this powder a try. Sue Devitt makes the most amazing products! Eveything I have tried has become holygrail status for me! I would recommend people to give this line a try. It's really top notch good stuff! It's a decent amount of powder for the price. (25.5g) A little goes a long way too!

This is my HG loose powder! My favorite used to be Ben Nye's Luxury Loose Powder in Caramello but I seriously hated it's packaging and it's not easy to find. But Sue Devitt really came through for me! I love everything about this powder. I have it in Summer Monsoon. (This is the exact shade of BN's Caramello.) It comes with a cute little velour puff that fits in the tray of the jar. I love that the powder is yellow-based so it looks really natural and evens out my skintone. I will most likely wear this without my liquid foundation on days when I don't have as much time or when I'm on minimal makeup days. It feels really light on my face and my skin feels really silky and soft due to the nutrients added to it. I really love makeup that's good for my skin. I'm not sure what seaweed does for the skin but it 3 types are in this powder as well as chamomile extract (very soothing), green tea (antioxidant?), and vitamin C. I got this from Beauty.com for $30 and it's well worth it. You get plenty of product and it's not just makeup, it acts as a skin treatment so that's an added bonus.