Mario Badescu Special Mask for Oily Skin

No Image

3.4

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), Seamollient,Kaolin, Calamine,Magnesium Carbonate,Bentonite, Sorbitol,Boric Acid. 5/20/09

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Hello! This is my first review. I have very oily skin and I'm afraid that I will never be able to enjoy 2 days in a row without oily skin. Then again I have never made consistent effort to attack it until recently.

I've been using the Special Mask for Oily Skin by Mario Badescu at least 2x per week for about 3 weeks. Unless I find something better I will continue to use it as a part of my regular routine.

Pros: Minimizes pores and I have reduced pores for 24hrs. Maybe longer depending on my diet and other external factors (i.e. humidity, oils in my hair, etc). Another pro is that it does loosen blackhead plugs. I have a bad habit of pulling my skin to search for bumps, plugs and clogs..... I notice that since I've been using this the past 3 weeks occasionally a blackhead/plug will just fall out while I'm doing this. HUGE bonus because I'm a pimple/blackhead buster (bad...I know....but I can't help it!).

Cons: Smells awful! The stinkiest mask I've ever used, but it doesn't make me puke. I just smell the sebum or whatever that white crap is that gets in the corners of your nose. Another con is It dries up and gets lumpy, but I think this can easily be resolved by adding deonized/distilled water. Last con is that if you have nails, it will get under your nails.

IMHO the pros outweigh the cons. I will be buying this again.

Note: I have used this in the past with no issues. Its just that I haven't used it consistently until 3 weeks ago. I was using it before primarily for oil reduction then after some self education realized that this doesn't happen overnight.

Hope this helps!

on 6/12/2014 3:13:00 AM

This mask mostly does what I want it to do and expected it to do from the ingredients: tighten my pores. This is certainly not a cure for chronically oily skin.

What I'm really frustrating about, however, is the packaging and formula. Within a week of buying this, I began to notice that some of the formula had clumped pretty severely. I had to get in there with a spoon and lose a lot of product trying to declump it, and 15 minutes of that only made a small difference. Besides packing it in my checked luggage to bring overseas, this mask hasn't been stored in humid, overly warm or overly cool environment. It just sucks.

Once it's done, I won't repurchase. I could just buy a $2 container of clay from a pharmacy or natural foods store and it would tighten my skin. This wasn't really worth the money before the clumping, and is now offensively not worth my money...

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I got this as a free sample and hated this. This product smells like potatoes! I used this 2-3 times a week for almost a month with absolutely no results. After i removed the mask off of my face, my skin got oily again in 2 hours. What a disappointment.

on 12/16/2012 9:36:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I quite like this mask. I know some reviewers say it's very drying, but I find my skin tolerates it without trouble. Then again my face is as oily as it can get. I've only been using the mask for a couple of weeks but every time I use it my face feel clean and refreshed, and for a while I barely notice the large pores on my cheeks. Of course that effect disappears after a while, hence I do think regular use of the mask will give better effects than only using it once in a while.

I also think it's important to moisturize after using it or your skin will get dry, especially with a mask like this one that can be harsh for a lot of skin types. It's not for mixed, dry or normal skin, as it's supposed to to be a mask for oily skin specifically which I quite agree with. I think if my skin were more mixed and less oily, this mask would probably have been too strong for me to use.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have very, very oily skin, so I'm always intrigued when products claim to minimize oil. I've tried a ton of masks with kaolin clay for this specific purpose, and they've all worked well, but this is the first one that's actually dried my skin out. Not necessarily dry to the point of flaky patches or irritation, but my skin has never felt so tight and parched before, even after moisturizer. I found myself reapplying my moisturizer twice within a half hour of rinsing this off because it was so uncomfortable--and slightly itchy. So I certainly recommend moisturizing very well after using this product.

Now that being said, this definitely does the job that it claims to do. Several hours later and my skin is still shine free (whereas I normally don't stay matte for more than 20 minutes). It feels clean, tight and healthy. I also noticed that a few of the blemished I've been battling lately finally came to a head after using this mask, which is certainly an added bonus.

Only having used this once, I'm certain that this mask would be ideal for oily skin right before a big event like a wedding or a particularly long day in the heat/humidity. It will absolutely keep your skin looking matte all day. Now I definitely wouldn't use this two to three times a week (as the website suggests) because I feel like it would severely dry out my skin. But once a week, or even a few times a month, would work well.

All in all this mask does exactly what it claims to do, so it gets a thumbs up from me. I did take 1 lippie off because this does really *really* dry out the skin, but I'm sure using it only occasionally will be wonderful.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I like this mask a lot. It definitely controls oil and seems to tighten pores. I use this pretty much every 3rd day around that "special" TOM when my skin seems to be excessively oily. Starting from a week "before" to a couple days "after" and it seems to keep the hormonal breakouts to a minimum.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Great at reducing oil and getting rid of redness, although it's not a HG miracle product for me. I wish it came in a tube so I wouldn't have to get my hands so messy while applying it! When it dried out, I just added some distilled (deionized) water to it to replace what evaporated, and it was as good as new.

For some strange reason, most of the pot's contents dried before I could properly use it! So while the results I could see were good, I'm sticking with other clay-based masks that do not dry in the pot/tube before I can use them...

I have to say that I'm disappointed by my results with this. I felt like it just didn't do anything for me. I was hoping for similar results that the previous reviewers had stated (mainly reduction in oil the next day), but I didn't really see any. I won't buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm really impressed with the Mario Badescu line so far. I have very oily skin that (of course) is both acne prone and sensitive. So it's a challenge to find something that's strong enough to deal with the oiliness and acne but won't drive my skin bonkers. This is a clay-based mask that also features calamine lotion as an ingredient. I use it about once a week, in rotation with QHMJM and aspirin masks. It is very soothing and does seem to significantly reduce the amount of oiliness the next day. I've been using it for a couple of months and have noticed my face is less oily, though that might be a combination effect of all the MB products I'm using right now. My only complaints are that it's a bit pricy (though unlike other masks, there is a noticeable result) and that the mask tends to dry out a bit in the jar, as I think someone else noted.

Ingredients: Deionized water, PVP, Seamollient, Kaolin, Calamine, Magnesium Carbonate, Bentonite, Sorbitol, Boric Acid.

**EDIT: Took off one lippie cause the packaging sucks...my mask dried out in its jar after a couple of months :(