RIMMEL Sun Shimmer Instant Tan Make Up - Medium Matte

RIMMEL Sun Shimmer Instant Tan Make Up  - Medium Matte
Sun Shimmer Instant Tan Make Up  - Medium MatteSun Shimmer Instant Tan Make Up  - Medium Matte

4.7

Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Triethanolamine, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Bht, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Citronellol, Coumarin, Edta, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Acid Red 27 (Ci 16185), Fd

Ive used this product for years!! I love how its matte & has no shimmer, gives some coverage & is easy to apply! Great price for a great instant tan...will always repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

First time I have used this product
It does exactly what it says
It has a pleasant smell
Streak free
Covered my body very well
It also covers my chest and pubic hair
Which is a bonus
Dried very quickly
An hour later
Great result
It made my private bits much darker which I found novel
Would recommend and buy again

on 2/3/2017 10:52:00 AM

I've just discovered this product (VERY late in life!!) via a passing comment by a fellow MUA reviewer on another tanning product.
Reviewing the same other product I was lamenting the fact that most fake tans seem orange or yellow-based when a real tan is red-based (all those burning UV rays!!). My other remark in the same review was - that of the dozens of fake tanners and instant bronzers I've tried over the years, most lack depth and just look like tea-stained pale skin. This lack of depth is the missing magic ingredient. Perhaps the application of more layers might achieve it but who has the time for that (let alone the inclination or the money?).
This product however - even on just a rough first try - seems to tick both boxes, so I'm seriously impressed. It's red-based AND colours and camouflages enough of the skin underneath to achieve that all-elusive missing depth.
Don't let the name put you off - I did purchase Medium Matte and don't know enough about the range to say whether it still contains shimmer (as per its namesake) but if it does it's no more than the slight sheen you see on freshly moisturised skin. Barely there.
The colour is dark enough to actually LOOK like a tan (not a weak and watery stain), and I gather it's buildable if you want to deepen it. I initially just applied it with my hands but despite thoroughly washing with soap and water, they're still a little stained (which is probably actually a plus for the staying power of this product).
(NB: I applied a second coat using a small sea sponge which worked well, so I'd probably go with a mitt or sponge for future use).
One of the things I've noticed with fake tans as I've got older, is that no matter how much you exfoliate beforehand, the older you get the more dry spots you get. And traditional fake tans just seem to cling to every little spot making it look like you have either lots of large freckles or big age spots!! (Neither being desirable!!). Instant tan/makeup type products are a much better option because they sit on the surface of the skin and don't concentrate colour on all those little spots of dry skin, instead acting as camouflage for them the same way foundation does for your face. The only downside of course is having to reapply each time (but on the upside mistakes are easily washed away). So far I can't see anything I don't like about this product.
And it smells just like baby powder - no offensive odour at all. In fact it smells really nice.
So thank you Emmyjay05. I think I'm going to love this.

Update 27 March 2017:
Two words of warning - this is best used on ‘flat’ surfaces (arms, thighs, lower legs). DO NOT use it on fingers or toes. I made the mistake of using it on my feet and needed a bubbling half-hour footbath to remove the staining on my toenails and the skin around them.
And second - because it colours on contact don't squirt out a drop straight onto skin (I recommend a sponge) because you'll have a visible telltale spot where the concentrated colour was, and it's stubbornly resistant to blending.

on 1/25/2016 1:04:00 AM

This is definitely a life saver for pale girls like myself! I swear by this product! Gives such a nice, natural looking tan but also noticeable, I am very pale and the shade medium made it look noticeable but still natural on my skin. It also has a slight shimmer in too which is great for nights out, summer ect. This is such an easy product for a quick instant tan and easy to apply with just a normal tanning mit. Simple squeezy bottle makes it easier too. Costs no more than £5 and lasts for quite a while! Overall I think this is a fantastic product and I definitely recommend!:)

on 1/9/2015 4:18:00 PM

A lovely budget instant tan! The color is great, not to orange and it is easy to apply (i use a mitt). It does not transfer on your clothes and it's cheap, nothing bad to say really.

I'm naturally extremely pale and this is my go to product for a night out - without it I look truly ghostly. My flatmate introduced me to sunshimmer as I used to use mousses such as St Moriz and St Tropez but would complain about the smell and the stains it left on my sheets and clothes. This smells lovely and as it is wash-off, is easy to get off. She urged me to buy the light colour as she thought medium would be too dark for me, but medium is in fact just the colour I want for a noticeable tan, and I have had a fair few compliments!

This is very easy to apply with a fake tan mitt as you can see where it's going instantly, and you are not left with white bits or patches. I also mix this with my normal foundation so that my face matches my body and have never had a bad reaction to it like I have other tanners.

The only disadvantage (which is also an advantage depending on how you see it) is that it washes off with contact with water, and I have had a few disasters where I have spilt drink on myself and had a few white spots - but no major problem. When my current tube runs out I plan to try the splashproof version to solve this problem.

The price is also ideal and I often stock up as Superdrug does deals and half price on this product regularly. It gives me the same colour as I would have with a spray tan for 1/4 of the price.

on 7/15/2011 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Im really pale so on nights out I like to look a little less ghostly and this is perfect. I dont have patient for normal tan and cant stand the smell of it so its great than this is so quick and easy. I mix equal parts moisturiser and sun shimmer and then just rub it in... Presto, I look alive!! ^_^

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This product was a miracle discovery for me a few months ago while I was getting ready for a wedding and was desperate for a tanned glowy look, without having the possibility of sunbathing too much and not being a sunbed user. You need a bit of exercise for the application, I use my bare hands as I think it works better this way and just keep hot water running and wash them with lots of soap in between applications. A small quantity goes a long way, you need to blend it really well and carefully let it dry and you can slowly build the tan up if you want to. It stays on really well, but you need to keep away from water, perfume or deodorants as they may stain. It comes off easily with plenty of soap/shower gel and you need to either use a scrub as well or get a coloured towel because it might stain it when you dry yourself after the shower. Good price as well, no obvious fragrance and overall excellent product.

on 6/7/2009 2:26:00 AM

This thing is HG for my face, I am so scared that this is a summer edition and that it will go away, if it is the case I need to find a ds dupe for it, cause I use it daily and it is a must for me. If anyone know something similar at a similar price, let me know. I tried the Bonne Bel Gel Bronze in golden tan and it has a pink tone to it and is translucent.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this product. Its great for when im in a rush to get ready to go out and I want to be tanned. I usually just apply to my legs, arms chest and my upper back. Its easy to blend as long as you work quickly, and it dries super fast. I'd definitely reccommend this to people that hate the hassle of fake tanning but love the colour. Its a very believable medium-dark tan. Love it!