Dior Dioressence

Dior Dioressence

3.9

This review is for the original, vintage formulation.

Top Notes: Aldehydes, Orange, Fruity Notes, Patchouli, Green Notes, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Carnation, Tuberose, Cinnamon, Violet, Orris, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Geranium.

Base Notes: Musk, Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Oak Moss, Vetiver, Styrax.

Dioressence was launched in 1979. The nose behind this fragrance is Guy Robert.

To my nose, this is very much a classic chypre despite the fact that there is no labdanum listed in the notes pyramid. I detect a huge oak moss note that dominates the entire composition from top to bottom and from beginning to end. I do detect some florals, most notably rose, geranium, and a tiny hint of carnation, but the florals are dominated by the oak moss and green notes. I detect aldehydes, orange, and bergamot upon initial application, but they fade relatively quickly, albeit not as quickly as the top notes of many of today's fragrances. The one note that characterises Dioressence more than any other for me is the oak moss.

Dioressence smells trés chic, sophisticated, expensive and undeniably old school. It is very much a perfume of its era or even earlier than 1979. In fact, if I did not know better, I would have supposed it was launched in either the 1950s or 1960s. It is difficult to believe that this composition came at the end of the 1970s, just before the vogue for really big Orientals began in the early 1980s.

As it is so unmistakably wedded to its time period, I cannot imagine most young women of today wearing Dioressence, but it is nonetheless an exemplar of the very high end chypre fragrances of its time. This is a fragrance for chypre worshippers more than anyone else, and it is a fragrance for those who love and tolerate oak moss very well in large doses. I like oak moss, but this is an oak moss bomb. Anyone who wants to know what real oak moss smells like should sample vintage Dioressence.

Longevity and sillage are very good. Projection is good. I applied it approximately twelve hours ago and can still detect it on myself.

Fragrance: 7/10
Longevity: 8.5/10
Sillage: 7/10
Projection: 7/10

on 8/5/2016 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Of all of the classic Dior scents, this is my favorite! Originally this came out in 1979, and was Dior's first oriental fragrance. Around this time YSL Opium and Estee Lauder's CInnabar were reigning supreme. This was released again in 2009 as part of Les Creations de Monsieur Dior. Dioressence is a classic chypre which has aldehydes, fruit, bergamot, orange, patchouli and green notes in the beginning. There are many floral notes, but I pick up on a lot of cinnamon, which gives it a spicy quality. There's a hint of patchouli and vanilla as well. It does smell like an older perfume, but it is really interesting and complex.

on 4/17/2013 5:55:00 AM

more expensive version of Clinique's Eau Dynamisante....
especially the 2009 les creations line..
not exciting nor special....herbal,patchouli combo for refreshing summertime...
boringly unisex

on 11/14/2011 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

(Speaking of the new, Les Creations version and not the vintage.)

Dioressence starts off with a strong dirt note that had me wondering if I had mistakenly grabbed a patchouli single note scent. Since it lacked the skank of patchouli I stumbled along, wondering what it was...and realized it was geranium. Spicy, dirty geranium. As Dioressence dries down the dirt softens to a powdery earthiness sprinkled with pepper that sticks close to the skin. Unfortunately it's gone in two hours, which is a shame as I liked Dioressence while it lasted and it's unlike anything else I have in my ever-expanding collection. I wouldn't say no to receiving a bottle in a swap/as a gift, but wouldn't want to buy it myself.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Spicy, warm and powdery. Also kinda stuffy. I see why others like this perfume but there is something in it that makes me nauseous and no matter how interesting it may smell, my stomach revolts. Had to wash it off after an hour, despite wanting to stick around for the dry down.

on 12/14/2010 9:32:00 AM

I started wearing this nearly 30 years ago and it was my signature perfume until quite recently. I was told by a friend that her (now grown up) son smelled this after not seeing me for several years and it brought me to mind right away. For me that is what a perfume should do-be evocative. It always made me feel sophisticated and elegently sexy. And not like I was wearing the same perfume as everyone else!
Since I have retired from the suit-wearing, corporate world I feel this perfume does not quite suit me as well as it did once- though I still reach for it when I am wearing my black cashmere sweater! Now that my life is more introverted and contemplative I wear l'Heure Bleue most often.
Dioressence is a very grown up and sophisticated scent for the woman who considers herself a strong-minded individual who can still be sexy.

on 7/11/2010 3:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

happywoman must have the wrong chemistry for perfumes of this type. While it does go on my skin as a hideous old fashioned powdery medicated horror, it quickly dries down to a powdery-in-a-good-way resinous spice that ends in a soft resin and amber base. Very warm and elegant. Dated, but in a classic way. It smells like it is from the 40s rather than 1979.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a totally masculine strong chemical stench of cheap incense
and dirty ashtrays. It's not green or a chypre. It's oriental and competes with Youth Dew for the all time worst smell from a bottle.
It actually reaks very similarly to Youth Dew.
I'm amazed at all the positive reviews for this.
It is sour, stale and reminds me of OFF bug spray, which actually smells better.

This is for the vintage edt version in the ribbed glass bottles. Soft, warm, smooth and elegantly spiced. This somehow makes me think of mink coats and cigarettes in long holders. I love it, don't wear it that often but couldn't be without it.

on 4/2/2010 5:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Too spicy and oldfashioned for my taste, reminds me of EL Youth-dew (which i don't like). nice staying power though.

Popular Fragrances