Ponds Magic Powder - Oil and Blemish Control

4.5

talc, triclosan, fragrance

on 6/21/2016 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I feel bad doing this because so many people love it but... This powder turns my face slightly pink, and unnatural color even when I blend it out, and did nothing for oil control. I tried baking, lightly dusting it over my t zone and doing the Wayne goss method and still, it didn't control shine or oil production. Was super excited and it's just another dud. Sigh.

This is rather worth the money if you ask me.
However, I would prefer if it did come in a loose powder tub with powder puff form.
But for the super low price, I guess I cant complain much.

I have combi skin (normal but oily at the T-zone).
So far, it has been doing a rather OK job at keeping my face oil-free.
No breakouts or anything bad so far.

on 5/18/2004 8:56:00 PM

Magic Powder comes in a 50 gram plastic canister (very small, but dirt cheap, drugstore/supermarket bought) at 23 Thai Baht (USD 1 = THB 42), purchased at Watsons, Your Personal Store, which has branches in parts of East Asia and Southeast Asia. It has an antibacterial agent that absorbs oil and shrinks swelling of pimples. I'm 34 and still have trouble with acne, and after 1 application and 1 night of useage, it's done wonders - and so cheap. Would surely repurchase. But as for packaging, this is loose powder and wish it was packaged in a "pan" as "caked powder" for easy carrying around. Comes in 3 types to choose from "Cool Blue," "Soft Pink," and "Natural White" as the colors of the powders - I bought the "Natural White." (UPDATE: I found out the other day that though this formula doesn't come in a "pressed/cake powder," there are some caked powders: 1.) Oil Control 2-way powder in 3 colors to choose from - a foundation powder 2.) Oil Control as a pressed powder.)

*** UPDATE: I've been using this product for a few days, over the weekend, and I've changed the rating from 5 to 3 lippies and might not buy this again. Reason: because it ended up drying my skin and making it oil-free, but it hardened the pimples and I had to use a facial scrub to remove the hardened pimples since a facial clay mask didn't help do the trick. It might be good for oil skin types rather than combination skin at age 34 with hormonal acne - but for me, it wasn't quite exactly what I wanted. I am currently off it and using regular moisturizer, making sure I thoroughly remove all makeup for a clean face.

on 3/18/2012 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have the pink one, I got this from ebay for about $4.30 CAD.
Packaging: Is loose and comes on bottle (looks like baby powder)

I untwist this and pour some an a flat palette or in my palm, It looks like hot pink loose powder but when applied it is translucent, has this sweet smell, I really like it. Over my regular foundation and powder (Hardy candy one step foundation + Gosh pressed powder) it keeps me matte for about 5-6 hours before I show signs of dewiness not greasiness! I can go without blotting for about 8 hours before thinking of blotting or applying it again and my makeup will still look fresh just like I applied it in the morning. When I used I got so many compliments on my skin! I love this and would definitely repurchase this again from ebay, since its not available in Canada.

Will update a couple of weeks later :)

on 4/6/2011 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Curly, Other

Oh how I wanted to love this product - I don't think it's fair to mark it down because of MY sensitivity to the smell - which I find quite strong and lingers
(Migraine trigger) It did control the oiliness but I just cannot get past the smell.

If it were fragrance free it would be 5 lippies for sure.

If scents don't bother you give this a try to control your oily skin.
I've seen several different brands of Magic powder on Ebay if anyone
knows of 1 that is unscented please contact me.

on 4/11/2009 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I think the pink works for fairer skinned people. The orange ("natural tan") powder was my staple in college. Controls oilies better than plain baby powder, and I liked how it seemed to even out my skin tone (this was before I'd discovered foundation =P). I'd reapply when needed, and it kept me feeling fresh and relatively matte in humid weather. Just be careful not to get it on white clothes. (It doesn't really stain though. Just flick it off.)

The packaging is a bit clunky. Best to transfer to a cute sifter jar with a puff.

I've used this for the past three years and will still repurchase! I can't find it here so I have my mom or sister send me a couple of bottles which I'm keeping in stock for summer. Haven't used it much this past winter but I found another great use for it: I use a fluffy brush and dust it over my undereye concealer to set it. The orange tone helps cover up the blue, and the sparkles have that brightening effect. =D

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It definately does it job well. It absorb oil well leaving my-normally-oiyl face smooth and soft.

on 10/31/2017 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I'm reviewing the BB one because I bought only that one after reading so many good comments.

This product has totally nailed it! In Thailand it only costs about 20 Baht/ ±9000 IDR
And it really does its job! I have a very oily skin and my skin gets oily again after 2 hours of using other loose powders
But with this Ponds BB Powder my skin could stay looking fresh even after 5+ hours. It's really my holy grail now! Where was this product before? Everyone should really try this. Gonna buy this again hell yesss

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Love Love LOVE this powder.

I have the blue and pink and I also bought the BB magic ones. They are strongly scented so if you are sensitive then they may not be for you.

I like the pink more than the blue, the blue greys me out a little. But what I love is that these powders are very lightweight and blur pores, can be easily topped off if like me you have an oily t-zone, and are cheap! They take a while to arrive but that's generally not a problem.

This powder is incredible! I ordered mine from Amazon. It's takes almost a month to get it since it's shipped from Thailand but it was worth the wait. I have oily skin and I usually blot my face at least 4 times in a day, since using this powder I only have to blot around my nose once. That's pretty amazing for me. I will definitely repurchase.