Pond's Magic Powder - BB

Magic Powder - BB

4.5

talc, triclosan, fragrance

on 5/18/2004 8:56:00 PM

Magic Powder comes in a 50 gram plastic canister (very small, but dirt cheap, drugstore/supermarket bought) at 23 Thai Baht (USD 1 = THB 42), purchased at Watsons, Your Personal Store, which has branches in parts of East Asia and Southeast Asia. It has an antibacterial agent that absorbs oil and shrinks swelling of pimples. I'm 34 and still have trouble with acne, and after 1 application and 1 night of useage, it's done wonders - and so cheap. Would surely repurchase. But as for packaging, this is loose powder and wish it was packaged in a "pan" as "caked powder" for easy carrying around. Comes in 3 types to choose from "Cool Blue," "Soft Pink," and "Natural White" as the colors of the powders - I bought the "Natural White." (UPDATE: I found out the other day that though this formula doesn't come in a "pressed/cake powder," there are some caked powders: 1.) Oil Control 2-way powder in 3 colors to choose from - a foundation powder 2.) Oil Control as a pressed powder.)

*** UPDATE: I've been using this product for a few days, over the weekend, and I've changed the rating from 5 to 3 lippies and might not buy this again. Reason: because it ended up drying my skin and making it oil-free, but it hardened the pimples and I had to use a facial scrub to remove the hardened pimples since a facial clay mask didn't help do the trick. It might be good for oil skin types rather than combination skin at age 34 with hormonal acne - but for me, it wasn't quite exactly what I wanted. I am currently off it and using regular moisturizer, making sure I thoroughly remove all makeup for a clean face.

on 8/17/2007 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love love love this loose powder. It comes in a plastic talcum bottle-like container. Cute.

I have 2. One in a white container and the powder is white. One in an orangey container and the powder is (you guessed it) kind of orangey. The latter has tiny flecks of GOLD shimmer in it. I've never seen a prettier loose powder.

I pour some of this into a little container and I use it as a loose powder. It absorbs oil well, keeps my T-zone matte and is uber cheap.

I use both. On usual days, I use the white one. When I'm a little tanned, or if I'm wearing warm colors that day (apricot, bronze, golds), I'll go with the orangey one.

I bet you could mix the orangey one with some body lotion and make a glowy body lotion.

Fantastic buy. HG!!!

on 9/23/2006 12:51:00 AM

Ingredients : talc, triclosan, fragrance (old formulation); talc, triclosan, fragrance and micronised titanium dioxide (new formulation with UV protection)

My skin type is combination and acne prone.

The difference in the different types of powder is in the color and the smell (effects wise i don't think there's any difference).

Pink bottle: the powder is pink in color and the fragrance is the strongest. when applied it gives my face a more radiant look.
Orange bottle: the powder is white in color, the smell is like normal talcum powder's. will leave a white cast on the face when applied.
Blue bottle: the powder is blue in color, the smell is the same as the pink one but is not as strong. Have not tried this on the face yet.

This performs well for oil control (for its price) and this does not give me any breakouts or clogged pores. In fact i think it's good in controlling pimples due to the triclosan. I will use this after moisturiser for a natural look. It can also be used in place of loose powder too. I've been using this for years!

on 11/8/2013 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing powder! Searched for years to find a product to control my oily skin which doesn't break me out. This is it!! I have adult acne on my chin and my skin becomes sooo oily after approx 2 hrs. This powder actually works! My skin stays matte for hours. Feels so good to finally find a decent product that does what it says it does. I was so excited to hear of milk of magnesia as oily skin cure however it did nothing for me. This powder is my HG! The price is ridiculously cheap, £2.20 for 2 on Amazon. Try it you will not be disappointed!

on 6/21/2016 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I feel bad doing this because so many people love it but... This powder turns my face slightly pink, and unnatural color even when I blend it out, and did nothing for oil control. I tried baking, lightly dusting it over my t zone and doing the Wayne goss method and still, it didn't control shine or oil production. Was super excited and it's just another dud. Sigh.

on 11/28/2014 8:14:00 PM

This is great stuff in my opinion. Inexpensive, gives nice coverage and has the added benefit of a sunscreen. I really appreciate products that give great results at a sensible price and this gets a big tick of approval from me.

on 9/18/2013 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is for the "BB" version of this magic powder... It comes in a pink bottle, just as the others, but it has the label "BB". I don't know exacly what BB stands for in this particular product, but it's definitely a trend in cosmetic industry nowadays.

So, i was searching on ebay for a good powder for oily skin, and i saw this "magic" powders by pond's. What really caught my attention was the price. It's soooo cheap! And you get a good amount! I paid less than 3 euros for a 50gr. bottle. My go-to translucent powder by catrice costs almost 5 euros for 11gr.

This claims to control oils and blemishes, keeps skin matte, has UV protection and it's allergy and dermatologist tested. I choose the BB one because it's a skin colored powder, and gives a little bit of coverage.

I have oily acne prone skin, so this seemed to answer my needs...

I'm not a fan of the smell of it, it's very perfumery, but once applied it doesn't bother me anymore. It really gives a flawless look. It has a very light coverage, which complements foundation or bb cream very well. The finish is matte, but it's not powdery at all!!! It's perfect! I'm amazed!! It controls oils very well. As for blemish control... i don't really know. I already use treatments for acne, and i'm not looking for a powder to do it, i just want it to set my makeup and control my oils.

Also, the color doesn't make me lighter than my skin tone (i use this over my colorstay foundation in Sand Beige, and my Garnier BB Cream for oily skin, in the color light, and it's perfect).

I just don't like the packaging, it's not really handy. It's like those bottles of baby powder. I put the powder on a empty translucent powder container and i'm good to go :)

Definitely repurchasing! I'm going to try the light pink one, to see if it has any difference, but i will then mix with this one, as i prefer a skin colored powder.

on 5/22/2010 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

the best powder i've ever bought!!!!

i think it's even better than my MAC studio fix

it goes better when i wear it with Benefit That Gal, gives me rosey look and it last longer than any foundie&compact powder..just the best!!!

this is my 3rd bottle and i think i only got 1 bottle left,,

i think i'm gonna bought a dozens via ebay...

I bought the pink one! I used this today for the first time with Maybelline Fit Me concealer (no foundation), because I just wanted to cover up my dark circles. I kinda swatched it on my hand before trying it on, and at first I thought it will give me a whitecast. But when I baked with it, surprisingly the powder faded away and voila, no white cast! After wearing it for 10hrs+ it still holds my concealer in place, with decent shine (i’m a combination leaning to dry though). I like this product a lot, considering the cheap price. I only hope the packaging comes in a jar instead of a tube.

This powder is incredible! I ordered mine from Amazon. It's takes almost a month to get it since it's shipped from Thailand but it was worth the wait. I have oily skin and I usually blot my face at least 4 times in a day, since using this powder I only have to blot around my nose once. That's pretty amazing for me. I will definitely repurchase.