Guerlain Les Meteorites balls powder

4.1

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I managed to nab the Meteorites Birthday Candles collection during a sale on the Hermo website, and I'm loving these little balls a lot! I have super oily, acne prone skin often exacerbated by the humid weather in South East Asia and prefer to use light makeup/bb cream on a daily basis. This works as a finishing powder which I dust lightly at the end of my morning routine.

The effect feels subtle upon application, which made me skeptical at first use. And yet in certain types of lighting, you can really see what a lovely finish it gives--it's almost as if my huge pores are blurred with this. Some people have noticed the glow and passed compliments too, so it must be doing something great in its subtle manner.

In terms of oil control, it helps to delay the shine, but by the end of the day my t zone will need some blotting. That's OK though, i read some of the reviews pointing this out and did not put high expectations for oil control. Also a big plus that it doesn't break me out.

CONS
-it has a strong scent, which may be irritating for sensitive skin, so one lippie off for this
-It's pretty pricey, but then it will probably last for ages so I guess it's alright.

A word of advice though, don't be swishing your brush in the tin in a hurry over the sink, one of the balls flew right out and into the sink hole, which made my heart cry a little.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think the people negatively reviewing these were expecting too much. What would you expect, it's a pretty smelling powder in the form of colored spheres in pretty packaging, not a miracle that will turn you into Brigitte Bardot. But it's just a POWDER. How much can a powder do? Is it frivolous? Yes! But so what? Pretty much all makeup is frivolous. I like feeling glamorous when I'm doing my makeup and these are PERFECT for that.
Personally I love them, they perform great and look lovely on bare skin and the psychological "I'm so fancy, you already knooow" effect is very real. I like using them to take the edge off my "dewy skin" looks and keep it from looking greasy but still light reflective and luminous. I used just concealer for under my eyes, Nuxe Or oil on my face and the Meteorites and I'm telling you, my skin has NEVER looked prettier! Even if it's not a setting powder, I love using this under my eyes on top of my concealer, now that I'm 26 I am starting to have some very fine lines there and normal powder ( I have the La Prairie one) doesn't look all that great but this is so light and fine that it doesn't emphasize any lines and dryness at all. The scent reminds me of Kenzo Flower. I will repurchase until I die or as long as I can afford them (knock on wood).

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is specifially for the Guerlain Meteorites Perles De Legende for Holiday 2016 edition, as I normally would have rated the standard version of the meteorites balls very highly. The holiday 2016 version is great for its mix of bluish-green, pink and gold balls. I think the colour mix is great. I don’t mind that it is slightly more sparkly than the standard version, cause it is still quite subtle (compared to the Hourglass Ambient powders, for example). My issue with the holiday 2016 edition is the inclusion of small balls. Because the balls are small and light, they get picked up by applicator brushes (the same happens with different brushes/ brush densities). It’s so annoying. It does this too sometimes with the bigger balls, but not as often. I just thought it worth mentioning, and hopefully someone from Guerlain pays attention. I know it looks cute on the tin can, but you have to develop products that are practical to use too.

I had a voucher and chose to get this last year... It is a lovely product but best reserved for night time...the shimmer is perceptible in daylight, but it imparts this beautiful ethereal glow for evenings. It softens imperfections for sure. I do a light dusting all over my face, and do my chest/cleavage and collarbones as well... The effect is subtle and so pretty. I like it and it's going to take a good few years to use up (I only reach for it on date nights or special occasions). But I won't repurchase, I just don't feel like it's worth it's full price, it's not a 'game changer' in my make-up routine (minus 1 lippie for this). Under the right lighting conditions, it performs beautifully, but under poor or fluoresent lighting it gives my skin this weird silvery cast (taking off another lippie for this). Maybe I should have gotten the medium shade, it's warmer and maybe wouldn't make me look silver in fluorescent lighting. For reference, I'm NC15 to NC20 (depending on season) with warm peachy/olive undertones, mediterranean coloring.

I LOVE THIS! Beautiful finishing powder. Blurs and gives a nice GLOW!

This is not a setting powder but because I have dry skin and get a cake face when I using setting powders I use this instead. It kind of does set too.

I have the Meteorites Balls in the color Clair but have now bought the compact in Medium.

I recommend it to all of you. It may be expensive but it goes a long way!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is mostly about the hype IMO. Lovely packaging and the balls look and smell so cute and dainty but didn't do much for my skin. It can add some dimention to the face if you're using a very matte foundation though. I can see tiny reflective specks when looking up close and they are quite refined. Other than that no proper setting, special glow or blurring effect. The one I got is 02 - Claire.

It surely is expensive but you get 25gr of product and it also lists diamond powder among the ingredients so I can't complain about the price. Bottom line; it's not a product I need and definitely not one I'd slather on the go but I enjoy using Meteorites for a night out. Surely I can't see much of a difference either way but feels fun and fancy. Now that the itch has been scratched I have no reason to repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I've had this in teinte d'or for years and never understood how to use it. I was initially disappointed because I had assumed it was a highlighter type powder, however when I attempted to use it on my skin, nothing showed up except for a few sparkles. I was cleaning out my makeup drawer the other day and used this again but tried it all over as a finishing or setting powder like others have suggested and I think that is the best option (even though Guerlain tried to market this a highlighting powder in their Sephora video). Like other finishing powders, it mattifies the skin but the subtle shimmer gives a glowy effect, it reminds me of Hourglass's ambient powders or Stila's illuminating powder foundation. That being said, I don't like the micro sparkles in here, it's not too noticeable but I don't want sparkles on my face. Also, while a powder like this would have been innovative in the 90s, there are so many subtle illuminating finishing powders today that I don't think its anything special. The packaging is cute though and I like the smell but this isn't a must-have

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have Mythic, and it is such a cool product. It is one of those things that I got purely because it has been called a must-have for such a long time. In my opinion it isn't necessary, but it is cool to have in my collection. The outer packaging is lovely, of course, and the balls inside are so cool. After many years, mine still have the light violet scent, but it isn't overpowering. I usually use this for special occasions, but I am thinking that I'll start using it more often just because there really is a good amount of product. The powder is great for finishing as it adds a soft glow. It doesn't really look like it does a whole lot, but it just makes the face look a little more polished.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Will I actually purchase this again? Probably!!! It goes from fabulous to meh for me. I have no trouble putting it on my brush, no trouble using it as a final finishing powder. I don't use it on my nose as it has just the smallest hint of sheen which does not work there. As finishing powders go, I will say that an Aromaleigh, which is still in business, High Resolution finishing powder is as good as this at a much lower price. In fact, after trying all the super-hyped stuff like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder and Nars Reflecting Pressed Powder, which is far superior to Hourglass which makes my face look like wax, I find good-old Aromaleigh the best.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The hype is real here - I have yet to come across a finishing powder that tops my beloved Météorites Pearls in #2 Clair. One thing to get out of the way immediately is that the permanent Météorites are definitely NOT a highlighter. If that's what you're after, you're likely to be disappointed with the Météorites because the effect is really very subtle. My in depth thoughts below:

MY COLOURING:
For reference, I'm a tad paler than n15 and my undertones lean cool. I live in an extremely humid part of the world, so makeup really gets put to the test here in terms of longevity! I wear the Météorites in #2 Clair for both the loose pearls and the pressed compact versions. However, this review will focus on the classic loose pearls.

APPLICATION:
I use my Météorites as the last step in my routine, and it just melds everything together really beautifully - it softens and blurs together the edges between my blush, bronzer, highlight, contour or any combination of those products that I've happened to use. And it does so without disturbing their placement so there's no need to worry about muddying things up. The Météorites have more of a diffusing effect, eg softening out harsh edges and evening out any patchiness in application. While they may mute the intensity of your blush, that can be used strategically to your advantage if you've been heavy handed.

My preferred application method for the loose pearls is to use a fluffy natural hair kabuki brush to apply - I use a goat hair Koyudo mushroom brush which is a pro at picking up just the right amount of pigment. Bonus points because it fits perfectly into the jar! (For the pressed compact version of the Météorites, I like a dense, firm powder brush, something like the Chikuhodo Z-1.)

FINISH - PERMANENT vs LE:
The permanent Météorites pearls don't have any visible shimmer in them, at least to my eyes. The finish is softly luminous, even muted I'd say. Definitely not full on glowy. But it has this lovely hazy effect on your skin, and just softens and blurs everything together. Hard to describe I'm afraid but you really notice it in person.

The LE and holiday Météorites are generally more shimmery, although it varies quite a bit. The Happy Glow Pearls are the most recent LE release and yes, there is some discernible shimmer in them. It's not a full on glitterbomb but examining my face close up, I can definitely see a little bit of shimmer. When using these, I tap my brush lightly against my wrist before I dust the powder over my face and that tones it down to a level I'm comfortable with. Otherwise, the Happy Glow Météorites and the permanent Météorites in Clair are extremely similar - the Happy Glow edition does lack some of the colour correcting eg the green ones but I would say it boils down to how luminescent a finish you prefer.

The other recent LE Météorites I picked up were the Perles de Legende for Guerlain's Holiday 2016 collection. They were extremely glittery - definitely too much so for daily wear - and also far too dark for my skin tone to use as a finishing powder. I suppose I could have used them as a sort of bronzer but I personally don't like shimmer in my bronzers. However, for those with darker complexions, it's definitely a stunning option. I would say it's equivalent to the permanent Météorites in #4 Doré - perhaps even a tad darker!

USAGE:
One thing to keep in mind is that, as a finishing powder, the Météorites are really intended to be worn on days when your makeup includes foundation or some type of tinted base. Worn on bare skin, I don't see this doing much (especially if you're on the dry side - powder products generally need something grippy to adhere to.) if you want glowy skin, you're probably better off with some radiance boosting primer or something along those lines.

I think the main thing with the Météorites to keep in mind is that they're a finishing powder and what they excel at is melding your makeup together seamlessly - this makes a big difference if you're wearing a bunch of separate products but if your routine is quite minimal, the effect will definitely be less 'wow'.

SCENT:
Typical Guerlain scent - do you like candied violets? No? Well, can you put up with a strong whiff of them each morning as you powder your face? It disappears in 15 seconds max. If you can't even put up with that minimal level of exposure, these are not for you! (Personally, I have a little bit of a soft spot for the violet fragrance - it seems to evoke a more elegant, languid period of history. Then it's back to navigating rush hour! Joy.)

OVERALL GRADE: A+
Are these exorbitantly expensive? Well, a little bit yes, but one jar will probably last you a lifetime. Are they a necessity? Probably not. But are they a lovely product to splurge on which will make mornings infinitely more special? Absolutely. I love finishing off my makeup routine with sweeping a dusting of Météorites over my face - it feels fancy and luxurious (especially with that lacquered Koyudo brush!) and there is no better way to start the day, as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended!