Victoria's Secret Love Spell

Victoria's Secret Love Spell
Love Spell

3.4

on 10/29/2008 9:54:00 PM

You know, every VS fragrance I've ever smelled has had the same sugary-sweet, nauseating undertone to it, and this one is no different. It's like they all use the same base or something. Eau de Migraine. Blecch. The only VS fragrance I can stand is Endless Love, and even that is borderline.

And I agree with the reviewer who mentioned the degrading way this company markets to women. Are we all vapid whores who should be concerned with nothing other than being "sexy"? Am I out of touch with being a woman? Cause being "sexy" is just not a priority to me. That combined with the baby prostitute perfumes and the overpriced underwear are the reasons why I've only ever purchased *3* items from VS in my entire life. I can get a perfectly good tit sling at wally world, and NOT pay $40+ for it. I don't like the way the company markets the whole 'love' theme either. It's like "Buy our panties & be LOVED!" WTFever. Sex is NOT love.

on 2/14/2014 6:00:00 PM

First off, I'm probably the oldest person, here, to review this product. I'm the proverbial "old lady" that the young girls refer to. Anyway, this is a young scent, obviously, but that doesn't mean I can't like it. I was in a department store today and the cashier that waited on me smelled SO good. She said she had mist on. I told her how good it smelled and I sniffed her wrist. To be exact, I had said she smelled like a cross between bananas and Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum. It's a hard-to-ignore scent. She said it was Victoria Secret's Love Spell. So on my way down the mall, I passed Victoria's Secret so I sprayed some Love Spell on. Yummy! I wouldn't wear this as a serious perfume, on me, but I think it would be perfect for when it's summertime and I'm hanging out in the sun, by the pool. Or when I shower in the clubhouse. I would wear it only casually, of course (if I were to buy it). I kid you not. I really think Love Spell smells good. Who knew it would be appealing to an "old fogey" like me, huh? Have I tarnished the reputation of this fragrance forever? LOL!

on 12/8/2013 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ah, Love Spell. I was introduced to this fragrance by a middle-aged co-worker one day when she started putting on the lotion on her hands.
I used to sit next to her and all of a sudden, I got this refreshing, sweet and REALLY CLEAN scent emanating from her desk. I had to ask her WHAT was she using. She said it was Victoria's Secret's Love Spell scent. IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SCENT. That was about 7 years ago and now I am at 28-year-old (almost 30) woman and I just recently bought the entire Love Spell collection on a whim, including the actual perfume.
This is definitely not the most sophisticated fragrance in the world, but it smells GOOD and sometimes you just need a little bit of unabashed sweetness in your life.
And maybe some judgmental women may deem me a bit too grown to be wearing such a teenager-friendly scent but you know what? When I was 21 years old and I smelled this scent on that middle-aged co-worker lady, I never thought FOR ONCE what a FAUX PAS she was committing. All I thought was, 'That smells so GOOD!' and isn't that what the playing around with scents should be about? No judgement here. Wear what you like when the mood strikes.
I will continue wearing Love Spell...maybe even shamelessly well into my 30s...because there's nothing else quite like it and I don't care if everybody else wears or immediately identifies it. You only live once.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

A heartbreaker for me. The scent in the bottle is absolutely, divinely delicious: wonderfully tart fruit punch. On my skin, unfortunately, it's very sweet, almost overripe peach. As a "proper" Southern girl, I don't object to peach, but I don't like very sweet scents of any kind. Despite this, I really have a thing for this scent - the body butter was probably the first beauty product I've ever finished, and I'm always contemplating popping into VS for a bottle of the mist even though I know I'll smell like gummi peach rings. I'm also a huge sucker for the candy colors and gold accents of the Fantasies line. With all that out of the way, I understand why many people have unpleasant scent associations with something worn by half the population of teenage girls in North America. That's a traumatic time for a lot of people, with many painful social situations and unkind peers; I'm pretty sure that in a few years people will be writing similar vitriolic reviews about BBW Japanese Cherry Blossom. However, it's important to remember that a perfume is merely an accessory, something to enhance your enjoyment of yourself and perhaps to please other people in the process. You wear the scent; it does not wear you. Wearing Love Spell doesn't make someone a slut or a stripper any more than wearing Shalimar makes her a Mughal empress or your grandmother or whatever your association with that fragrance is. It's true that Love Spell seems to be everywhere, but this isn't a reason to give it poor reviews, either. The truth is that every single being is unique regardless of what perfume they wear, how they style their hair, what books they read; only a terribly insecure person really maligns something for being common, and does so out of desperation to believe that she's truly unique for avoiding it. In any case, I really need to find a way to work more Love Spell into my existence - maybe I'll start using it as a linen spray. It'd also be awesome if sister company BBW started selling Love Spell Wallflowers...hint hint.

on 7/15/2009 1:30:00 PM

I don't understand all the harsh remarks about this fragrance. I think its a nice peachy scent. I live in a town where the nearest VS is 85 miles away... so its very rare to find someone else around here that wears it. I have repurchased, and will continue to, and I don't think that I smell like a smoking teenage poledancer... wtf.

I haven't smelt any other of VS fragrances, so they may very well all be overly sweet, like Bath and Body. I think that in the end, all BandB products kind of smell the same.

You can usually get this on sale on the website, or just go into a store a try it out. If you like it, you like it, if not... don't make the people that do enjoy it feel ashamed of it. Seriously.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

To me, this bomb smells of bananas and bug spray. Like, I don't even have to ponder over it at all... it is immediately, undeniably recognizable as bananas (top note?) and bug spray (drydown?). Additionally, when I say "bug spray" I am not referring to the woodsy charm that is Deep-Woods Off, but rather, the stuff that one might squirt in the direction of a menacing wasp.
The "best" part? I get to smell it aaaaallll the time, because every female under 30 and anywhere near me has decided it is her signature em-effin' scent.
I want to find out where all of them live, break into their homes, confiscate their Lovespells, and replace them with bottles of... lord, anything. I mean, like, even Clinique Aromatics. And that's saying a LOT.

on 2/1/2010 8:51:00 PM

I dont know what it is about this fragrance, but EVERYTIME I wear it, I ALWAYS get compliments on it! My fave perfume is Christian Diors Miss Dior Cherie and my other is Shalimar, and yet I NEVER recieve compliments on those when I wear them.

When it dries down on me, it smells of peaches and apples, not the gummi bear or candy necklace scent everyone says it smells like.

I'll continue to wear it, even though I feel a bit 'mature' for the scent (I'm 28 and I must admit it makes me think of a teeny bopper scent), As someone once told me 'a fragrance is only worth the compliments you get from it!' and if thats the case, I'm sold! The price is soooooo much better than Christian Dior too ;)

on 4/7/2007 12:12:00 AM

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GROSSSS it amazes me this trashy cheap scent is still so popular. back in high school ALL the girls used to spray this to cover up when they smoked ciggs in the bahtroom so now in addition to the cheap aqua net hairspray scent of love spell, i associate it with smoke and high school sluts. this scent is so generic and you can detect it in .0001 seconds on some girl... usually over done and over sprayed to cover a night of beer & cigs.. gross

on 12/14/2013 10:26:00 AM

OMG! There are no words to describe this heavenly scent. I absolutely love, love love this stuff! It is one of the best scents I've ever smelled in my entire life. It's just pure heaven in a bottle.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I think every girl has or has had this fragrance before. It's definitely my favorite from the vs line. Some of them are pretty tacky even, but not this one. It's really sweet, maybe a little too sweet, but as long as you don't use it too much. I've been using it on and off for about an year now and I'm still okay with the smell. The only problem with this perfume is that you can't wear it without smelling like someone's ex (since so many girls wear it). So for girls with boyfriends, maybe wear a different perfume on your dates.

Popular Fragrances