MAC Veluxe - Trax

MAC Veluxe - Trax

4.1

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Trax is a pretty purpley mauve with gold shimmer. I am not the biggest fan of MAC in general, but their shadows especially have left me pretty disappointed over the years, but Trax is worth keeping in my collection because it is different and very pretty. It doesn't wear super-well, but with the right primer it does okay. I think the best part of it is the gold pearl that is in it, because it really does elevate an eye look from somewhat neutral to a little more glam.

on 5/6/2017 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

A pretty grey plum colour infused with gold shimmer. Looks dark in the pan when applied it's modestly opaque. It does go on patchy, blends ok. I find it doesn't have as much pigment as I like. I prefer Sketch although it doesn't have the shimmer it's just more workable. Prob one of my less used colours.

on 1/14/2016 3:38:00 PM

I really think Trax was reformulated somewhere along the line. It was one my first MAC shadows, and indeed one of very first HE shadows, so I held a special place in my heart for it. I repurchased it recently, totally hated it, and eventually returned it. It's possible I was just young and inexperienced, but I remember it being like this velvety, complicated, shimmery, bronzey-purpley-red that looked amazing with my dark eyes. When I tried it again, it was chalky and unpigmented and gave a very attractive bruised effect.

GAH! Bummed. I loved Trax so much that when I went on a road trip with some friends at age 24, I had my sister print me out fake journalist ID tags so I could, idk, sneak into roadhouse bars pretending to be writing an article about them? Anyway, my fake journlaist name was TRAX. (lmfao.)

on 4/12/2014 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I was very hesitant to buy this eye-shadow once I knew the price for it. It turned out pretty surprising. I apply Trax over a copper shade and have received several compliments. Trax is a pretty color. I love how it's not really purple. It's an edgy shade that reminds me of the galaxies.

I bought this after seeing it on my hairdresser. It's a great color if you apply it lightly for fair skin. The first time I put on too much and didn't like it. I love using this with just a blender brush and black eyeliner. It looks nice with green eyes. Usual great MAC quality.

on 8/15/2014 12:22:00 PM

This was my first ever Mac eyeshadow and it's still one of my all time favourites :) blends beautifully with other colours and look great blended into the crease especially!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using MAC for years and years and have an almost embarrassing number of their eye shadows because eye shadow is probably my favourite type of makeup (and also, I just am weak and have no willpower!). But Trax is a shadow I'd never had any interest in owning and I always thought it was quite red toned and, for me, a shade that would be unflattering. Then, as often happens, I saw a youtube tutorial by "Ministry of Makeup" that used this and I got obsessed with owning it and trying to layer it over the very many bases and cream shadows/shadow pencils that have come out in recent years. So when MAC had an "express free shipping" offer, I ordered a few things I can't get at my local MAC counter (including pro pan shadows). While this isn't the most pigmented colour (I'd actually rate it 3.5 "lippies" if I could), I am so glad I got this. The pinky plum of Trax, when applied to my mobile lids, really enhances the colour of my dark brown eyes. A bit of neutral, darker shadow in the crease (Bobbi Brown Saddle or Too Faced Garter Belt are very similar grey/neutrals that work really well for me), some black liner and mascara and my eyes really become a focal point! Trax is NOT a Veluxe finish - it is a VELVET according to MAC's website - and I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't as pigmented when applied as it looks in the pan but layering it over a coloured base like Powersurge eye kohl does help it show up better and bring out the golden sheen that is present in this shadow. Trax is far from being my favourite eye shadow but, like Sable and Tempting, I like the effect it gives when I can take the time to get it to show up with more impact.

on 3/4/2013 3:29:00 PM

Maybe I'm just not wearing it right, or maybe it's my skintone (NW20) but it always just makes me look like I've got a shiner. Boo.

on 11/13/2013 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

So, firstly. I do not intend to slam Mac as I actually quite like the quality of their eyeshadows. This, however, did not live up to my expectations.This was my first eyeshadow from Mac and I was super excited to try it. When I swatched it, it wasnt very pigmented, but i figured it would show up better on the eye. How wrong was I. This eyeshadow lacks pigment. It is probably one of the most useless products I own. It cost me €12.50 and now, I realise it was such a waste of money. The eyeshadow simply does not show up on the eye, no matter how much you pack it on. I doubt it was just my one that is like this. Overall, I'm very unimpressed with this eyeshadow.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is such a beautiful color in the pan, and it can be on the lid if you use it with some extra help. I used the NYX jumbo eyeshadow pencil in oyster underneath and it turned out beautifully. With Trax on the lid all over, and a little gold eyeshadow in the middle it really brings out the gold shimmer. I really like this color, but unfortunately it doesn't turn out great without a colored base.