NARS Afghan Red

4.6

on 6/22/2017 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I was browsing in Sephora and saw a gorgeous shade among the testers. When I picked it up to check it out (I was sure it had to have been a NARS lipstick I'd owned before), I was astonished to see that it was Afghan Red. Why? It looks nothing like the posted photo, and I expected Afghan Red to be ... well, red. It isn't. It's more of a deep rose, but that description is woefully inadequate--it's an utterly unique, utterly gorgeous and flattering shade. I bought it on the spot and have been wearing it often. It's one of those rare shades that light up my face and make me look awake and healthy. It's also extremely versatile--it doesn't look overdone with casual makeup is perfect for an on-the-job look, but can be perfect for night if you do a more dramatic eye. I'd lost interest in NARS for a while, but have found him again (Ephelide Lip Tint, Sheer Multiple in Motu Tane, London Clinic Matter Lip Pencil, Orgasm Liquid Blush), and the formula for his Satin lipsticks has been improved--it's much creamier, smoother, and less drying than formerly, and the shades of my old favorites (Shrinagar, Fast Ride, Damage) seem unchanged. It's in the usual NARS packaging that some hate and some love, which seems to be the case with this shade. But if you're looking for a versatile, creamy, comfortable-to-wear lipstick, don't pass this one up. I'm shocked that in all the years I've used NARS products, I never gave Afghan Red a second look. I'm sure glad I did. I would repurchase.

on 5/31/2017 12:08:00 PM

Gorgeous! It's such a departure from just a red, super chic on its own with nothing else. As usual, the NARS texture and pigmentation is impossible to beat. I've recommended it to fair skinned people as well as olive and darker complexions and it GLOWS on everyone.

on 8/17/2016 6:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Afghan Red caught me off guard and frankly changed the way I am starting to look at lipsticks. Let me start with the color. It is nothing you haven't seen before, a really pretty garnet berry type shade...kind of deep raspberry but not as much pink as that brings to mind. However this shade is done in a way where even the most fearful of bolder shades can wear this. I am nw20, deep winter complexion, almost black hair, brown eyes. These type of berry and garnet shades are what my complexion was made for...I thrive on these. So this is an easy no brainer lip on me. When I say this shade is different is two fold. On me, it is stunning, yet classic, subtle, not as daaaaang as MAC Dark Side, but just as impactful and perfect. On someone with blonde hair and blue eyes, this is their version of a MAC Dark Side....they can do this color too without looking like the life has been sucked out of them. I kind of think of MAC Dark Side as Elizabeth Bennett (strong and spunky, yet very "correct") and Afghan Red as Jane Bennett, not over whelmingly bold, but quite stunning.

Second, let me comment on the texture of this particular lipstick. This is one of those lipsticks that when you apply, your lips look very "Instagram". It doesn't go on too creamy or too shiny nor too matte. It never looks heavy or bleeds. Once applied you will not want to take your eyes off of your lips because this lipstick will just become part of you...you won't wear it and it won't wear you. I have poo poo'd NARS lipsticks and found no justification for their crazy high cost...until this lipstick.

Finally, how it changed how I feel about lipsticks. I have over a 100. I have every color imagineable. But after using this flawless lipstick (texture and color), I am beginning to thnk about streamlining my lipsticks and keeping only the ones that work this easy, sit this well. Even if that means I have to spend $30 to replace this lipstick. Because yes, I have a dozens of similar shades, but none of them are as easy and classic as how Afghan Red wears.

on 1/9/2017 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holyfreakingsht.

This lipstick is one of my all time favorites. On my NC20 skin it brings my face to life, giving me a very polished look even though I wake up looking like a troll doll. It comes off as a muted red with a hint of berry on my pigmented lips. Creamy, pigmented and doesn't suck the life out of my already chap-tastic prone lips. It lasts for a fairly decent amount of time - about 4-5 hours. A little less if I eat but reapplication ins't a problem for me. It also leaves a nice even stain behind and wears off evenly, not blotchy.

Also - no scent. Yay!

It filled the hole in my red lipstick collection as I was looking for something that wasn't such a bold red like my Bite's Tannin or UD's Rock Steady. Highly recommend this lipstick.

on 9/17/2015 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I love this colour! It is a gorgeous fall colour. Heck I might even be wearing it after that. It has become my signature colour.

It has vitamin E built in, I often get dry lips especially in this weather. It lasts me hours, even after meals it is still on my lips. My skin colour is stromboli in Nars, and it just looks gorgeous on me.

It doesn't have a matte look, it does not fall into the lines of the lips, it's a warm burgundy red.

It's 34$ but worth it in my books. I would definitely purchase this again.

I can't say enough about NARS lipstick -- it's hard not to consider it the gold standard. Smooth application that doesn't smudge, feather or wear off. Beautiful, complex, smart shades. Afghan Red is by far one of my favorite colors of theirs: it's a standout. Not too dark, but deep and bold and oh-so-elegant. It's a rich, blue-based red, the kind that tends to complement skin tones and eyes really well. If you want to invest in a good, classy evening red that's not a Marilyn Monroe-esque bright bombshell, but still brings the drama -- that would be this one. (For another good NARS blue-red, but in a semi-matte instead, check out their Trans-Siberian.)

on 8/2/2013 9:30:00 PM

STUNNING GORGEOUS COLOR
It's a deep rich garnet raspberry. It's vibrant but not distracting. It's unique yet classic. It's very flattering and really does make my teeth look whiter. It goes very well with my coloring. The only problem is it's a bit dry but I put a little aquaphor on top to help. Attached is a picture of me wearing it.

on 1/23/2015 2:43:00 PM

I can't believe how beautiful this colour is! I had tried a couple of Nars lipsticks and the dry texture and the look on my lips had put me off.
I wanted a lovely semi-vamp shade for Spring and decided to give it a go and I am in love. The texture is smooth, it looks gorgeous on my lips. It doesn't feel dry to me.
I was afraid the colour might be too mauve and look a bit drab on me but no, it has enough life but it is subtly vamp.
I love it. I bought it on lookfantastic with some voucher I found online and the price was fantastic too!

on 2/17/2013 12:09:00 AM

I wish I could get a NARS product to work for me, I haven't had very much luck with any of the ones I have tried. This lipstick is no exception!

The first problem with this is that the color was absolutely dreadful on me. I had the same problem when I tried Mata Hari blush, which I was not expecting, and which seems to work for everyone else. Afghan Red is like a plummy wine red to me, almost burgundy in certain lights. I can pull off some plum lipsticks (Wet n' Wild's Sugar Plum Fairy actually looks similar to this but 1000% better on me than this did, with a better texture. I was shocked!) But anyway, this color just drained the life out of my face and made me look jaundiced and splotchy and wan. I'm about an NC10 (or NC05 at my palest) and have some yellow-olive undertones, but also some rosiness to my skin. Something about the pigments in this just clashed horribly for me with this.

The formula. Oh god, the formula. It was so drying!! And the (dark, unflattering, almost greyish) pigment gathered in the newly formed cracks in my lips and generally made me very unhappy. So now this sits in my makeup drawer unused and with copious dust gathering on its rubbery packaging.

on 4/27/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really (really) wanted to love this product! I guess I was expecting a little too much, then again for the price of it I'd want at least 3-4 hours wear. it lasted an hour to an hour and a half max. I fell in love with the color when I saw it on the website, it looked like burgundy/deep wine.. which I love because they look gorgeous on my skin (Punjab in NARS Sheer glow).. if you only use one coat it looks like a lip stain.. two coats and the color looks gorgeous! For a few months the color was very deep and gorgeous, it recently turned into a red-orange but not the type of red-orange that is flattering to my skin and I don't like it, I don't know if anybody has had this problem, but it made me so sad, the original color of it was so gorgeous!! also make sure your lips are hydrated and smooth before applying this lipstick, or else every little line will show!