MAC Matte - Chili

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I own 3 MAC red lipsticks- Russian Red, Ruby Woo and Chili. Of all of these reds, Chili is the only one I'll repurchase.

Ruby Woo is too strong and almost garish against my skin, Russian Red is only slightly better but Chili is my perfect red. It's warm (because of the orange tones) and muted (because of it's brown tones).

For reference I'm an NC42 with golden/yellow undertones and this shade of red is especially flattering.
It looks fantastic on my skin tone - one of the few red lipsticks I can pull of confidently.

Chili isn't hugely popular because it's not really a universal red. On cooler complexions, it will probably look muddy but if you have warm and muted i.e 'Autumn' coloring, you need to get your hands on it.

This shade was so hyped up in Asia. I purchased it to use in the winter season, but for some reason, instead of bringing colour to my face, the brick red sapped it from my cheeks. It really depends on your colouing for whether this is a hit or miss. I looked ill. I passed it on to a friend who loves it.
I favour brighter shades like Dangerous, Lady Danger and So Chaud.
For reference, my skin is NC15.

It is beautiful itself, a brick red, long lasting, but just not flattering on me.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Sometimes you don't want to go red but you want a color that's strong and confident. Chili has those properties and warmth! This is a great color for tan, brown and deep complexions. It looks fabulous on my NC45 / Nars Cadiz complexion with out looking too bold. It looks like a deep brown red, but more in the red family on my complexion. It's a color that I can wear it to work and no one would ask if I'm going out that night.

It's matte and it is somewhat drying but not as drying a Ruby Woo or a liquid lipstick like ColourPop. I find the texture opaque and creamy enough. There will be a need to touch up later and there's definitely transfer. I like to wear Mac Mahogany lip liner when I want a play off the warmth of the color and Mac's Auburn when I want to give it to pull more red.

I love Chili but I honestly can't tell it apart from the other red MAC lippie I own (Russian Red). Anyway, according to my friends, Chili looks best on my sort of warmish skin tone and gives off an elegant 50s vibe. But damn is it dry as hell (for comparison, it's even drier than the other lippie I usually use - Taupe/Velvet Teddy). A flacky red lip looks horrible, so I usually try to counter that by exfoliating my lips, moisturizing with a lip balm, outlining with MAC's Whirl liner before applying this baby on. It doesn't glide on as smoothly too, so I find applying another lipstick beforehand (I tried Velvet Teddy and all was well) sort of helps. 4/5

This is the most perfect lipstick for my fair/olive undertones! I found other shades like Ruby Woo way too bright! It is long lasting and wears very comfortably for a matte lip colour. Need only to touch up a few times a day (depending how many hours and circumstances). Hard to find a matching lipliner so I used a darker nude liner. This is THE PERFECT RED for me finally!

My HG Red. Before, I was like Russian Red and Lady Danger because of all the hype until Miss A's Suzy Bae sported this. Looks really stunning on her. Chili became a hit in Asian countries.

If Russian Red and Lady Danger had a baby, it would be Chili. And its color is really like Korean red pepper powder. Think brick red/terracotta red. You gotta swatch it in person to appreciate it. It's not an in-your-face red, but it's sophisticated enough.

When I saw it in the tube, you would probably think "nothing special". Until you apply it on your lips. And boy, it's so flattering! It's your everyday kind of red, the kind of red that doesn't scream "hey look at me!" No wonder South Korean girls went crazy over this shade.

I prefer this applied with gradation effect. Matte formulation is okay, it's not as drying as everyone claims.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I needed another matte red lipstick like I need a hole in the head but this warm brown/orange red just seemed perfect for me. And it is :). I call this my fall/winter Lady Danger. My ultimate warm-toned red, makes my green eyes pop, always looks flattering. It is matte but not as dry as Diva and it stays put pretty long.

I LOVE Chili, and not just the peppers or the soup! LOL. Seriously, though, this is a great brick red lipstick that I think anyone could wear. It's the perfect shade for fall and for those who don't want an over the top bold red lip. I'm fair, blonde, blue eyes and I would imagine this looks great on warmer and darker skin tones, as well. I was wearing Chili the day I met my husband, so it also holds some sentimental value. I think he still remembers the brick red lips. I can't wait until fall to put Chili back into rotation. This would be a definite repurchase for me. I consider it a must have for just about everyone.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love it!! This is one shade of lipstick that suits a wide range or skin colors, I have seen my friends wearing it and it looks great on each and every one!! I discovered this in my friend's make up bag and was surprised that I had never paid attention to it at the MAC store. It looks a reddish brown lipstick, when worn it's just a beautiful shade of red that is not 'too in the face red'. It's a shade of red that can be worn daily!! I love it and recommend it to everyone!