MAC Matte - Chili

4.6

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Sometimes you don't want to go red but you want a color that's strong and confident. Chili has those properties and warmth! This is a great color for tan, brown and deep complexions. It looks fabulous on my NC45 / Nars Cadiz complexion with out looking too bold. It looks like a deep brown red, but more in the red family on my complexion. It's a color that I can wear it to work and no one would ask if I'm going out that night.

It's matte and it is somewhat drying but not as drying a Ruby Woo or a liquid lipstick like ColourPop. I find the texture opaque and creamy enough. There will be a need to touch up later and there's definitely transfer. I like to wear Mac Mahogany lip liner when I want a play off the warmth of the color and Mac's Auburn when I want to give it to pull more red.

I love Chili but I honestly can't tell it apart from the other red MAC lippie I own (Russian Red). Anyway, according to my friends, Chili looks best on my sort of warmish skin tone and gives off an elegant 50s vibe. But damn is it dry as hell (for comparison, it's even drier than the other lippie I usually use - Taupe/Velvet Teddy). A flacky red lip looks horrible, so I usually try to counter that by exfoliating my lips, moisturizing with a lip balm, outlining with MAC's Whirl liner before applying this baby on. It doesn't glide on as smoothly too, so I find applying another lipstick beforehand (I tried Velvet Teddy and all was well) sort of helps. 4/5

To Read all 104 Reviews, Login or Join

This is the most perfect lipstick for my fair/olive undertones! I found other shades like Ruby Woo way too bright! It is long lasting and wears very comfortably for a matte lip colour. Need only to touch up a few times a day (depending how many hours and circumstances). Hard to find a matching lipliner so I used a darker nude liner. This is THE PERFECT RED for me finally!

My HG Red. Before, I was like Russian Red and Lady Danger because of all the hype until Miss A's Suzy Bae sported this. Looks really stunning on her. Chili became a hit in Asian countries.

If Russian Red and Lady Danger had a baby, it would be Chili. And its color is really like Korean red pepper powder. Think brick red/terracotta red. You gotta swatch it in person to appreciate it. It's not an in-your-face red, but it's sophisticated enough.

When I saw it in the tube, you would probably think "nothing special". Until you apply it on your lips. And boy, it's so flattering! It's your everyday kind of red, the kind of red that doesn't scream "hey look at me!" No wonder South Korean girls went crazy over this shade.

I prefer this applied with gradation effect. Matte formulation is okay, it's not as drying as everyone claims.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I needed another matte red lipstick like I need a hole in the head but this warm brown/orange red just seemed perfect for me. And it is :). I call this my fall/winter Lady Danger. My ultimate warm-toned red, makes my green eyes pop, always looks flattering. It is matte but not as dry as Diva and it stays put pretty long.

I LOVE Chili, and not just the peppers or the soup! LOL. Seriously, though, this is a great brick red lipstick that I think anyone could wear. It's the perfect shade for fall and for those who don't want an over the top bold red lip. I'm fair, blonde, blue eyes and I would imagine this looks great on warmer and darker skin tones, as well. I was wearing Chili the day I met my husband, so it also holds some sentimental value. I think he still remembers the brick red lips. I can't wait until fall to put Chili back into rotation. This would be a definite repurchase for me. I consider it a must have for just about everyone.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love it!! This is one shade of lipstick that suits a wide range or skin colors, I have seen my friends wearing it and it looks great on each and every one!! I discovered this in my friend's make up bag and was surprised that I had never paid attention to it at the MAC store. It looks a reddish brown lipstick, when worn it's just a beautiful shade of red that is not 'too in the face red'. It's a shade of red that can be worn daily!! I love it and recommend it to everyone!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I picked this up today on a total whim and I gotta say, LOVE it!

This is a very unique burnt orange-ish red shade - think Autumn leaves... I have lots of reds, and I have lots of oranges, but I have nothing like this one. I think it's the neutral toned brown base that makes this shade so stunning - it really is formulated to be lovely on a variety of skin tones.

This looks kind of matte but not too matte - and it glides on super smooth as to be expected from a Mac lippie. It's very opaque and one swipe will do ya, which is great. The only "con" I can find (and it's not a huge issue) is that this is one of those shades that really does call for a liner to make it look more even. Unfortunately though Mac doesn't make a same shade liner for this one (and I feel a differing or suggested liner match will change the effect). Also I don't like Mac lip liners so um, well, there's also that. Basically I find I need to line using this lipstick and a lip brush which means takes time = this isn't really a quick "apply and go" type lippie. BUT this may just be my own issue or quirk because I haven't seen anyone else mention this in reviews.

I love when I can find shades that cross over into different seasons such as this so that I get my money's worth! This is as beautiful for summer as it is in the fall, and it will look great whether I am pale or tan... I am giving this 5 stars because it's stunning and unique, an incredibly universal bright, and because I have nothing in my collection that comes close in shade.

I finally found my holy grail summer red lipstick!
It's a warm red with a lot of orange in it.
I pretty much wear it everyday.
It's like a darker redder version of Lady danger.
It looks amazing on my nc/nw 30 (i have neutral undertone), but it also looks amazing on my nc/nw 20 during winter time.
It is longwearing, comfortable on lips, i like to pare it with a matte eye using warm shadows and some liner to make the eyes pop. Mascara, a lot of bronzer, chili and you are done! You can also skip the liner and just rock bold lashes and you will look stunning.
I feel like it's so underrated.
5 lippies, it is everything i was looking for

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have been on the hunt for THE every day reddish lipstick that's not in-your-face red. This fits the bill perfectly. Chili is a muted, very warm red-brown, with a burnished orange tint. I'm half-Asian, so my skin is on the warmer side of olive, and it suits me perfectly. Couldn't be happier :)