Rimmel Lasting Finish - Birthday Suit

Rimmel Lasting Finish - Birthday Suit
Rimmel Lasting Finish Rimmel Birthday Suit in 121 & 250Rimmel

3.7

on 4/12/2013 1:45:00 PM

This is one of Rimmel's "oldskool" shades- I am not sure how long it has been on the go but I know I had a tube back in the 90's, along with Latino, Asia, Heather Shimmer- those were also definitely around back then. I'm on a bit of a retro makeup-from-my-youth kick at the minute so I thought I'd pick up another for old times sake with the 3 for 2 offer on in Boots every so often.

First thing I want to say about this line is the fragrance- it's heavy. It's heavy smelt in the tube, it's heavy when you apply and it's heavy for some time wearing it. I think the scent is supposed to be cherry- but it's terribly synthetic. I think that might be a real deal breaker if you prefer your products to have less olfactory offence.

Going by the name Birthday Suit you'd imagine this to be a nude shade- and it sort of is, sort of isn't. First thing is that it is undeniably warm toned. It is a caramel/toffee type colour with super fine milled shimmer that is not apparent in the bullet but influences the golden frosted sort of look that it has on the lips. On me it is actually quite pretty but it isn't the sort of colour that is going to suit everyone.

The texture of Birthday Suit is pretty waxy- I certainly don't think that this is a bad thing, there are some HE products that are worse- it is more about whether or not that personally bothers you when it comes to how you like your lipstick to feel on. Remembering of course that you can always mix with balm or other products to change the texture if needs be. I found lasting time to be average to good on me (2-3 hours) so no complaints there.

To summarise this is going to be good for you if:
* You like wearing colours in the warm caramel/toffee family.
* You don't mind the heavy scent.
* You don't mind l/s with a waxy texture/feel.

If all those boxes are ticked then go for it! You might love it.

This is a nude-peach lipstick which is just perfect for my naturally pigmented lips. It goes on smoothly when applied and can be a little drying after 3-4 hours of wear. Stays on for hours if you don't eat and/ or drink, it leaves kinda MLBB stain at the end of the day. I love the sweet scent which is not overwhelming.
Overall, I think this product is good.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I canít say I loved this lipstick. I was expecting quite a natural nude and it looks quiet orange on me. The smell is pleasant but a little overpowering. I also donít think the staying power was that great for a lipstick thatís meant to be long lasting. I have never tried a Rimmel lipstick and will not be running back in a hurry. The price of them are reasonable but the quality leaves a little to be desired.

on 8/2/2010 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

I like the colour but it's not as creamy as I'd like and not as moisturizing. The colour lasts but the lipstick is a bit drying. Also, the packaging sucks...the lid keeps coming off but the look of the product is nice. I'll probably try a different type of lipstick or I'll just stick to my hunt for a coloured lip gloss.

on 5/29/2010 2:19:00 PM

not drying and does last quite some time. but doesn't really show up on my lips either.
it just gives me a frosty tint.

on 4/20/2010 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I bought the 250 version from a clearance sale. Good thing it was so cheap, because there's not a whole lot of product. I have GWP lipsticks with more product in them.

I thought it would be more of a nude, but it's just a metallic-y version of the colour of my lips. It looks nicer with a lip balm underneath than when used alone.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

If possible, I would give this product a 3.5 but I chose to round up.

I bought this lipstick on clearance because I had heard it was a dupe for Mac Hug Me, one of my favorite everyday lipsticks. Prospective buyers should be aware there are TWO VERSIONS of this colour. The one I have is 250, which is not similar to Hug Me at all. This version of Birthday Suit is a peachy, bronzey nude. The colour is still flattering on me, but just not what I expected or what I was looking for.

In general, Rimmel lipsticks are my favourite drugstore lipstick formula. They have impressive pigmentation, are decently long lasting and are not drying at all. The downside is the strong scent, which can be a turn off. I have a love-hate relationship with the cinnamon-y smell (like Red Hot candies) but can now tolerate it.

This product loses points for the strong scent, cheap plastic casing, and this particular shade's slightly frosty finish. I would have preferred a creamy/satin finish.

For reference, I am NC25 and neutral leaning toward warm.

on 1/9/2010 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is a recent rediscovery for me, and I love it so much. It is a hard color to describe. It's not "nude" in the sense that NYX Circe is, a concealer-type creamy nude. Instead it's a very neutral beige-peach with shimmer. I think of it as nude because it looks good with more dramatic eyes. For reference, I'm a very warm PPP. I like this formula, and you can't beat the price.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I went out to buy this because of the rave revies, I had imagined that it would be a very natural nude color. However, when I got home and tried it on, it was a horrible frosty orangey brown on my very pigmented lips (I'm NC25). I was highly dissapointed. Then I decided to try it over MAC Hue l/s (which lightens my lips) and it was a much more appealing, natural color. Still it was quite orangey. Next, I tried applying concealer on my lips then Birthday Suit, and it FINALLY turned out to be the warm nudey color that I wanted it to be. Paired with NYX Natural Lipgloss, this is a very gorgeous natural goldeny hard to describe color. :)

However, the smell can sometimes be quite artifically horrible. Sometimes the smell is very strong, and sometimes its barely noticable. Also, if you're cool toned, I would definitely stay far, far away from this lipstick

ROP for pics+

continued >>

Tried this out because it was a youtuber's fav 'nude' lip color. however, I am not satisfied. It's not very pigmented and seems to go on a bit sheer. I agree with other reviewers that it looks more like a 'warm toned nude' on the brown side. The color seemed like a natural lip color to me, didn't change my lip color much. Could barely tell I'm wearing it. I think it would be nice in the summer or when the sun is out so you can see the shine it puts out. Won't be using for winter.

UPDATE: Initially gave it 2 lippies, but now I added an extra one :) .. I am beginning to like this lipstick. I use it when I don't feel like having 'pale lips' and want to look more 'warm'. It's winter and I actually am using! It's not nude on me but darkens my natural berry lips. I like to use it alone. It's still sheer and application is smooth. I feel like it reminds me of MAC lustres? because its sheer. Not matte has somewhat of a shine (sparkle but not glittery). I would recommend for those who want a sheer but adds extra 'umph' to your natural lip color and warms up your face.

Popular Lipsticks