RIMMEL Lasting Finish - Birthday Suit

Rimmel Lasting Finish Rimmel Birthday Suit in 121 & 250Rimmel

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/12/2013 1:45:00 PM

This is one of Rimmel's "oldskool" shades- I am not sure how long it has been on the go but I know I had a tube back in the 90's, along with Latino, Asia, Heather Shimmer- those were also definitely around back then. I'm on a bit of a retro makeup-from-my-youth kick at the minute so I thought I'd pick up another for old times sake with the 3 for 2 offer on in Boots every so often.

First thing I want to say about this line is the fragrance- it's heavy. It's heavy smelt in the tube, it's heavy when you apply and it's heavy for some time wearing it. I think the scent is supposed to be cherry- but it's terribly synthetic. I think that might be a real deal breaker if you prefer your products to have less olfactory offence.

Going by the name Birthday Suit you'd imagine this to be a nude shade- and it sort of is, sort of isn't. First thing is that it is undeniably warm toned. It is a caramel/toffee type colour with super fine milled shimmer that is not apparent in the bullet but influences the golden frosted sort of look that it has on the lips. On me it is actually quite pretty but it isn't the sort of colour that is going to suit everyone.

The texture of Birthday Suit is pretty waxy- I certainly don't think that this is a bad thing, there are some HE products that are worse- it is more about whether or not that personally bothers you when it comes to how you like your lipstick to feel on. Remembering of course that you can always mix with balm or other products to change the texture if needs be. I found lasting time to be average to good on me (2-3 hours) so no complaints there.

To summarise this is going to be good for you if:
* You like wearing colours in the warm caramel/toffee family.
* You don't mind the heavy scent.
* You don't mind l/s with a waxy texture/feel.

If all those boxes are ticked then go for it! You might love it.

I purchased the 121 version from eBay, assuming this is a discontinued version as supposed to 250 which can still be seen in stores. This is my first lipstick and I'm super disappointed in its pigmentation. I'm a heavy lip balm user beucase I often have severly chapped lips. The lip stick is suprisingly moisturising so I think I can actually wear it instead of my lip balm. However, the nude color showed up like any lightly tinted lip gloss. It adds shine to my already fairly pigmented lips but that's it. I tried applying more layers even to the point it would start creasing. I was hoping to create a very nude lips with this but I think a concealer is needed to cover my original lip color and show the true color of this lip stick. If you are looking for a true nude lipstick, I wouldn't suggest 121 unless you have light colored lips.

on 10/23/2009 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a nice lipstick. Though I feel the color is better suited for warmer skin tones than mine, as I'm very fair. I can pull it off, though. I really like it if I've 'nuded'(w/ concealer or something) out my lips and put it on over that. Very pretty. And I love the scent! It's a little bit like Juicy Fruit gum. :)

I don't think I'd buy this particular color again, though.

on 9/30/2009 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to love this nude color after seeing some of the reviews but it was too ashy and dark on my NW20-25 skintone. I picked up something that has more peach in it, Revlon Almost Nude and its my favorite nude lipstick so far! Sexy not sickly :)

on 9/26/2009 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Edit: I just read the review above mine, and "too ashy" is definitely the way to describe this. I think the ashy color in this is what makes me think that my skin looks too red when I put this color on.
~Every time I attempt to wear this lipstick, I end up wiping it off. I'm not completely sure why, but the color just doesn't work on me. I'm pale to light with yellow undertones (and since purchasing this I've realized I look better in rose to purple shades). This color makes my lips look too brown and really emphasizes the red in my skin. Not attractive in the slightest. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of these (but I guess they are not that bad for the price) they really don't wear well at all, teeth transfer is a definite possibility, and I cannot stand the smell. I do not want my makeup to smell like cake/candy, drives me nuts lol. Anyhoo, not for me, though I have to admit it looks really nice on some people, just doesn't work w my coloring.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Birthday Suit was my first Rimmel lipstick purchase and I was skeeved out at the tube not being sealed.

This smells like a combination of strawberry and cinnamon. Not terrible, but better than the typical lipstick smell.

With that out of the way.

I love this nude lipstick on my NC55 skin. I have to exfoliate and put on balm or this won't wear well. I apply two layers (blotting between) and pair with my Coach Gardenia gloss.

The top does come off in my bag, but that's a minor annoyance.

on 8/2/2009 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I bought the last three, enough said. Great nude lipstick for cheap and keep in mind its more of a nude for darker skin women, like me im nc45 so on me it's like a tan nude color, can't really explain it, lighter than mac's touch lipstick which i also see as a nude lip for women my complexion or darker. Try it and i highly recommend!

on 6/21/2009 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

One of my perfect nude lipsticks to pair with dramatic eyes. I can see the slightest hint of coral in this on my lips.

love this lipstick with a nude liner and clear gloss...very pretty!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I agree it is a warm nude. It has some luminousity to it.. so it glows. I loved it in the store and when I tried it on at home. It's a peachy nude on me. With some subtle pink to keep it from being dull.