Bulgari Black

Bulgari Black

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Slightly smoky vanilla tea. Simultaneously modern and cuddly. Gently sweet and fresh, with enough of an incense impression to be distinctly "dark." It's like stepping into a tea shop on a rain washed night in the big city. It has great sillage---one spray is plenty---and lasts for ~12 hours on me. All this in one fragrance, in a pretty nifty bottle, for ~US$20 on Amazon.

on 12/17/2014 10:35:00 PM

I love this perfume. I also love leather notes, the unusual, and unisex fragrances. I only got the famous rubber/lapsang souchong smell the first time I applied. Since then I've noticed more jasmine, smoke, and sandalwood over an addictive sweet and musky base. In EdT it is unobtrusive enough that I feel comfortable giving myself a couple sprays before work.

There are rumors that this perfume is being discontinued, and I do notice that it is mainly sold by fragrance discounters. Say it ain't so! Sadly, I cannot find EdP, only EdT.

This fragrance is a modern classic, and one of my favorites.

on 6/16/2014 3:06:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

just got a sample yesterday after being curious about it for months... i love kinky perfumes and, therefore, expected to like it. well, i do, although it IS quite bizzare! i don't smell tea in it-mostly rubber and leather mixed with some femininity:) it is as if you are wearing a liquid tire or expensive leather bag on you:) i know, sounds crazy but for some odd reason it is nice and can be pulled off by a woman although it sounds so masculine. i am still unsure of whether i would go for a full bottle; however, it is a nice thing to have in your collection when you feel different. the thing i dislike most about it, though, is a very poor staying power. other than that, i am not disappointed

For days I don't feel like behaving well, I go for this: the vanilla gets mean with the rubber and tea notes in the best possible way. It smells like a bonfire of Barbies.

on 11/29/2013 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Bulargi Black is a unique smokey oriental. There is a wonderful rubbery smell paired with a creamy vanilla accord, as though someone smashed an expensive vial of perfume inside a bike shop. At once comforting and kinky. Love.

on 10/23/2014 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Edit: it's a year later, and I am adding two stars for the EdT and have executed a complete turnaround. In colder weather, I can smell the smoked black Lapsong Souchong tea note more clearly, and I have a feeling that once I have smelt it a certain way, that is how it will register. Dry down is dry unsweetened musky with not much vanilla thankfully. If I want to amp up the vanilla, thats easy.
----
My original issue was, in very hot weather, the famed rubber note was expressed on my skin as a cheap artificial pleather car seat, or plastic, not avant garde smoked industrial rubber leather. After I sampled the much more expensive, critically acclaimed By Killian Rose Oud, which bizarrely released much MORE car artificial scent (plus a disturbing juicy fruit gum sweetness), I did think more highly of BB. (The fragrances are otherwise NOT similar, and the end result post dry down is very different). And, that particular facet of RO made me recall the artificial plastic vanilla of the much sweeter Tocade which used to get a passing score in my mind because it falls under the "but it's vintage and so artificial it's almost ironic" category that really doesn't exist for any other fragrance.

If you like the idea of a dark unsweetened rose ( more leather! smoke! incense! or other dark ingredient! less rose), this is niche conception at a bargain price, and a rose suitable for non rose lovers. Considerably drier and darker than Tauers Incense Rose or incense extreme, and more austere and less powdery than Amouage Lyric Woman. It's Paloma Picasso or Agent Provocateur without the sharp animalic scariness and with amplified the leather rubber.

I think the bottle is adorable, and well worth the price even if you dislike the scent. Unisex. My recent edit is from a new bottle bought on line. The ingredient list on the box is not super long, so I think it's discounted older dead stock. It wears like a skin scent without much sillage, which I prefer.

on 6/10/2013 9:49:00 PM

I went to Sephora looking for something new and once I told the SA about my love for Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille he took me right over to the men's section to try this beauty. I had read the Luca Turin's fantastic review of this in Perfume: The Guide, but this was my first encounter. LOVE. It is just like countless reviews have said, rubbery, leathery, vanilly heaven. I didn't buy a bottle because this is not a hot humid summer type of perfume but I will absolutely be buying one for the fall. I've been using my sample on cold rainy nights and it just drips sex appeal even though it is just like sitting in a car with leather seats and a vanilla pine tree air freshener. I would love to smell this on a man, but smelling this on myself makes me feel pretty darn hot too. Definitely not for the weak willed.

on 2/2/2013 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have a miniatyre bottle of Black and it's... strange. It has this funny rubbery, oily feeling like freshly laid asphalt but deep down it's also warm and soft and very much vanilla. I don't like vanilla in perfumes so I seldom use it, but if vanilla is your thing then this has the kinky vibe to take one step from girl next door to sinful.

on 2/2/2013 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is naughtiness in a bottle. The vanilla is sweet and bossy at first and then dries down to a slightly powdery skin, but better routine. The leather cracks the whip early on, but calms down after rubber shows up. And then, there is something else. At first, it is difficult to place, but suddenly the answer appearsoh no they didnt. Animalic. Salty. Metallic? Maybe buckles and chains? Is someone smoking in the corner?
During my next trip to New Orleans, I plan on drenching myself in this stuff. Well, maybe more than four sprays.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I like this smell of bulgari black, and my husband love it too. wanna buy again

Popular Fragrances