Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.8

on 10/13/2006 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is my favorite fragrance...I remember the evening in St. Petersburg, FL when I first smelled it in Robinson's Department Store - I couldn't STOP smelling it, couldn't stop smiling, it was so lovely and soft. During the late 80's thru the 90's it lost its appeal to me - it smelled strange, I couldn't put my finger on it - the spell was sadly broken! Now it smelled like the cheaper drugstore version, "Lutece," lacking depth somehow. I was crushed... Then last year, on the MUA Fragrance Board, I read that during that time the company was sold and the formula of Ombre Rose was indeed CHANGED, cheapened! Ah HA! But also, that it was recently REPURCHASED by Brosseau and the original formula has been restored!!! I immediately splurged and treated myself to a gorgous bottle of EDT spray and lo, I fell in love again! A passion renewed. Everyone raves over my scent when I wear this, and I feel as if I'm moving in a soft feminine cloud of loveliness. I love that I don't smell like a department store cosmetic department, or any other woman I know. The men at work actually lean closer to me when I wear Ombre Rose! This is ME, this is mine.

Ombre Rose comes in a one-of-a-kind, intricately carved, octagonal Art Deco bottle. I own a parfum mini, just for the bottle. As for the fragrance... well, points for being wearably demure, despite having been created in the early 1980s. Baby-powdery and honeyed, like rosewater Turkish Delight for the skin. I know it when I smell it, and that's a compliment.

However, I can't wear this outside the house because it just smells uncannily like doll skin. You know those baby dolls whose vinyl skin is impregnated with baby-powder scent for "realism"? This is EXACTLY that scent... right down to an unnerving touch of fresh vinyl. That pretty much nixes the sex appeal for me, although I do like it as an ambient room scent.

This scent is so pretty! The only rose I can consistently wear. Most days I'll use this to soften up some of my stronger fragrances, but it's pretty and light and clean enough to wear on its own to work or school. I'll be keeping a decant of this in my bag to touch up during the day. Often times I'll feel as if this has faded, but I'll turn my head a certain way and still catch a faint whiff. This is a fragrance that people will say, "you smell nice" rather than "what perfume are you wearing?" A great perfume for migraine sufferers like myself who still want to smell nice. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't try this! Please do, you won't regret it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This winter I've had a cold that just lingers.... and it won't go away. Hot liquids -- lots of sleep and chicken soup just isn't making this nasty bug go away any quicker. So I have been looking for many ways to comfort myself and make myself just feel better, until that blessed day when this 'grip' lets go of me. One of my favorite comforting scents is Ombre Rose by Jean-Charles Brosseau. Ombre Rose is a classic scent that I really do find to be under-appreciated. It's a very soft powdery dry-honey rose scent. It's got an old fashionedness to it that is ideal for spritzing after a bath when you want to feel completely feminine, pamerpered and comforted. To me it signifies early childhood warmth and softness; a cuddly blanket; cozy flannel pjs; an affectionate hug given to a special teddy bear. In the fragrance world, Ombre Rose is a 'chicken soup' scent that helps to brighten my spirit and melt the cold away on the darkest day of winter. Pure comfort in a gorgeous bottle.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is fabulous! Ombre Rose is a beautiful soft rose perfume with an overlay of honey and woods. It is quite linear on my skin, but I am very happy with this as it is so lovely. It *is* a powdery scent, but although it has honey (and some musk too listed as a note) it is not overly sweet. The sandalwood gives it a depth and a deepness and I think it is entirely aptly named. I don't find it a bright rose; it's a shadowy, dusky autumn rose with a nostalgic feel to it - just delicious and absolutely full-bottle-worthy!

Red my entire review before judging the fragrance.

I don't know if Ombre Rose has recently been reformulated or not. A couple of days ago I saw a bottle of Ombre Rose Eau de Cologne in a tall frost glass cylindrical bottle with a silver cap. Normally Ombre Rose has been sold in a cut glass bottle with a white cap as an Eau de Parfum. The two smell entirely different which is why I think the marked Eau de Cologne is a reformulation.

The Eau de Cologne is metallic, cold and herbacious. It actually smells like a mans cologne. The Eau de Parfum is a warm, woody rose/ylang ylang/sandalwood concoction with a powdery finish.

Treat the two as totally different fragrances. So here is my conclusion.

The eau de parfum in the cut glass bottle with the white cap is a beautiful, soft, romantic perfume that is subtle enough to be worn to the office, and floral enough for a date. The eau de cologne in the cylindrical bottle with the silver cap is almost unisex and I think it would work very well on the right person, in warmer weather with smart casual clothing.

Ombre Rose is as soft as it gets. Winter or summer, it just seems to envelop you with its rosey sweet powdery muskiness and it always feels right. Pretty and feminine, this classic and I love how the beautiful Art-deco bottle reflects those qualities.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My mom wore this in the '80s, and I really tried to like it then because I LOVED that gorgeous octagonal bottle. Fast-forward 20 years, they're selling it at Marshalls and I try it again. Still no go. I like soft, warm, powdery scents, and this one has some lovely and very feminine notes, but there is a strong peach note to it and it really is too sickly-sweet for me. I would like this scent a lot if it didn't have that syrupy canned-peach note that turns rather urine-like on my skin. Try before you buy!

I give it 2 lippies because it is a very well-crafted scent, just not for me.

on 12/27/2004 9:31:00 AM

The bottle is gorgeous, and I really wanted to like this product. I like roses, I like pretty bottles, I like oddball frags no one remembers -- perfect combination you'd think. But on me it turned to pure, thick, cloying powder. There was almost never a rose moment.

Now, people describe this (and Gloria), as "honeyed," and I'm never quite sure if what I mean by that is what anyone else means. Honey in the jar is sweet, bitter, aromatic. "Honeyed" perfumes seem to refer, too often, to a cloying sweetness that is nothing like honey. Gloria, Anne Pliska, Ombre Rose, none of them are "honey," they're sweet, in the way dimestore powder is sweet, in the way little old Haddasah Bubbehs spray on a spritz of their favorite perfume (which they've had -- same bottle -- for twenty years) before Sedar and Mah Jong club.

I love Haddasah Bubbehs, and the way they smell, but I don't like that smell on me. On them, it's touching and sweet and tender. On me it is thick, dimestore powder, cloying, the material of Nightmare In The Elevator!!! You'll Never Ride Again!!!

On my skin, Ombre Rose was like that. Do I think it's going to be like that on everybody? No. I gave my sample bottle to someone else I rather liked who was going through a bad patch and needed encouragement. She loved it and wore it beautifully -- a soft float of clean. But I want to add a note of caution: try before you buy, because this is a VERY strongly powdery powder, and a not very rosy rose.

EDITED several years later: Wow! Life and tastes can sure change. love Ombre Rose now - a soft powder, with an almost salty, very delicate almond note, that flows around a very delicate rose. it's sort of talcum powder meets heliotrope meets salty vanilla, but all of those elements are really delicate. If you wait long enough, the drydown picks up a little incense, too. The parfum is GORGEOUS - even more salty almond/powder, less rose.

on 2/10/2016 11:55:00 AM

Wonderful winter scent--like wearing a warm coat with a lining of baby powder, spices and subtle floral. Very comforting and the sillage lasts through the day.