Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.7

on 6/24/2008 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This scent is so beautiful. I first smelt it as a child on lush looking grown up beauties and wanted some day to grow up and wear it, to match it in loveliness as the women I saw did. For me as a grown up now, it's as beautiful, seductive, sexy and lovely as ever it was. It is strong but not overpowering, it doesn't leave a skunk trail like some strong perfumes do and they can be offensive. In fact when I sit next to someone on a train wearing a strong scent, I move if I can or feel sick. But L'Ombre Rose is in a class of it's own for me and does have a gorgeous sillage but it is never overpowering or offensive. It is a melange of sweet, heady, warm and luxuriance with a citrus scent too, an aldehyde quality but as far as i know without any actual citrus in it. Like sweet and sour food, like an apple with cheese and red wine, it's a perfectly delicious combination, you get the best of both worlds. It doesn't say vamp in an obviously sexy way, but the ylang ylang, vanilla, rose, peach, iris, lily of the valley (which I usually hate but not here) sandalwood and rich musk give it a juicy, sensual richness and and a quality that almost reminds me of the scent of clean skin, warm bodies, after the dry down as the scent evolves on the skin.
I have tried hundreds of perfumes, but none of them has the strength without overload, the warmth and richness and uplifting hit of citrus and sweetness without sickliness, that this does, combining so well, without being cloying for me, none are as beautiful. Many are lovely, many are sumptuous, but none match this scent, it does everything, like the beauty of Ingrid Bergman in an old B&W movie, her face could portray sister, mother, seductress and this scent on me can be innocent, fine for occasions when one doesn't want to seem as though one is trying to be seductive, but on the other hand it does have an almost erotic undertone, the warmth, evoking bare rosy flesh beneath the clothes, it is very sexy, so the guys say and I agree.
I think it may've been one of the first gourmand scents, if not the first gourmand fragrance, and none does it better for me, if you want a man to smell your scent and salivate, without finding it too much and be nauseated as Angel etc can, this is it, you will smell utterly delicious. I heard this was first inspired by a line of poetry from Proust, 'A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur.' A romantic thought for an intensely heady and voluptuously romantic scent.
And for those who say it smells old lady, not true, at least not on me, on the contrary, I get tons of compliments from young guys, teens included to guys in their 30's when wearing this, in fact I've known them to swoon over this scent and make 'yummy noises' of appreciation. Another nice thing about it is, one can smell all the ingredients of the scent, pick them out and yet they mix together on the skin like fine layers of silk, I'm wearing this for life, may they always make it, I'll import it if I have to, I love it, guys swoon, what's not to love?
And not only does it seem to be an aphrodisiac for scent challenged males, it also has a comforting quality, it's a real chameleon, perfect, everything I could ever want from a scent in one lovely bottle. I've been trying so many fragrances, thinking that perfection could be improved upon, it can't this is it, besides I wouldn't want to disappoint the guys by changing my scent, what was I thinking of - try it! Actually don't, I want it all to myself, my signature scent, keep off, find your own! But if you really want a lift and to feel gorgeous, I suppose I should share the experience. If your love life cupboard is bare, I get guys follow this scent trail in the street, nice, gorgeous ones too. So I ought to be generous, this is the holy grail, really, if you like the ingredients already, you will adore this and so will the guys around you. And if you;re feeling rotten with flu, stuck at home feeling really drab, fed-up and sorry for yourself, this will cocoon you in warmth, like a lover's embrace, really, I mean it, it's more comforting than a bar of chocolate and reminds you of how female and lovely you can be. One proviso, this is not good for women who like the androgynous, this scent is very much all woman, which could be why some young girls may think it too old, they're not yet, nor ready yet to be a full on siren of sensuality at the height of her powers, well that's what it evokes to me and those who comment. Just wait till you get a little older girls, if you like the ingredients, one day you will enjoy what this does for you! Thinking about it, I don't get compliments from other women when I wear it, they all come from men but I can live with that.

on 10/13/2006 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is my favorite fragrance...I remember the evening in St. Petersburg, FL when I first smelled it in Robinson's Department Store - I couldn't STOP smelling it, couldn't stop smiling, it was so lovely and soft. During the late 80's thru the 90's it lost its appeal to me - it smelled strange, I couldn't put my finger on it - the spell was sadly broken! Now it smelled like the cheaper drugstore version, "Lutece," lacking depth somehow. I was crushed... Then last year, on the MUA Fragrance Board, I read that during that time the company was sold and the formula of Ombre Rose was indeed CHANGED, cheapened! Ah HA! But also, that it was recently REPURCHASED by Brosseau and the original formula has been restored!!! I immediately splurged and treated myself to a gorgous bottle of EDT spray and lo, I fell in love again! A passion renewed. Everyone raves over my scent when I wear this, and I feel as if I'm moving in a soft feminine cloud of loveliness. I love that I don't smell like a department store cosmetic department, or any other woman I know. The men at work actually lean closer to me when I wear Ombre Rose! This is ME, this is mine.

on 7/31/2010 5:47:00 AM

The gold standard by which all rose perfumes may be judged, delicate, wistful, gossamer, and very lovely. I find it lighthearted in an almost childlike way, neither deep nor complex, and yet there seems to be a soaring quality about it that is emblematic of classical ballet or opera. More than anything it evokes to me the unforgettable cinematic version of that opera of all operas, Die Zauberflöte, so lovingly interpreted and immortalized on celluloid by Ingmar Bergman. Mozart is very difficult to capture on film, and should be virtually impossible to delineate in scent; precariously poised between the worldly and the unworldly, his music is a constant reminder that there is more to life than perhaps meets the eye. However, miraculously, it is also this quality which is the essence of the very aptly named Ombre Rose.

on 10/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Soft feminine allure is how I describe this fragrance. I bought it first in the late 1980's after my first child, a son, was born and I wanted something soft but not overwhelming. Friends would say to me whenever I wore it that it smelled like roses and baby powder. And it did and still does. I bought it again many years later and several years ago (after trying heavy stuff like Shalimar and Coco), this time when my son graduated from high school. It took me back to those precious days but it hadn't changed all that much. I am sure that the formula has been degraded (what hasn't in the perfume world) but since it was a soft subtle fragrance to begin with, it only kept the essential essence of a powdery rose.

It comes in the same bottle and I use the EDT and the cost is reasonable. I am not a big perfume wearer (my signature is Youth Dew which causes women in the mall to oohh and ahhhh when I wear it and laugh because it is almost an ancient perfume), but when I want to wear a fragrance with a steady scent which doesn't start as one thing and then move on to other life stages, I wear my Ombre Rose. I was tempted to get the YSL Parisienne as a stronger form of this scent, but it is a fruity concoction that it is nowhere near as wistful and pretty in its effect as Ombre Rose. Frankly, I think sometimes the more expensive the perfume, the more disappointed your body chemistry becomes.

The last point is that I wear this scent year-round, even for evening. There is something romantic about the aroma which I adore.

Ombre Rose comes in a one-of-a-kind, intricately carved, octagonal Art Deco bottle. I own a parfum mini, just for the bottle. As for the fragrance... well, points for being wearably demure, despite having been created in the early 1980s. Baby-powdery and honeyed, like rosewater Turkish Delight for the skin. I know it when I smell it, and that's a compliment.

However, I can't wear this outside the house because it just smells uncannily like doll skin. You know those baby dolls whose vinyl skin is impregnated with baby-powder scent for "realism"? This is EXACTLY that scent... right down to an unnerving touch of fresh vinyl. That pretty much nixes the sex appeal for me, although I do like it as an ambient room scent.

on 5/6/2013 7:05:00 AM

Reading the reviews - it's so touching that this scent seems to come with so many emotive story. Here is mine...My mum wore this perfume throughout the 80s and 90s . I was shuffling through her beauty products last weekend (admittedly looking for something to 'borrow' as I am unlikely to pickup my bottle of duty free Chanel no5 anytime soon) and the briefest of sniffs tool me right back to when I was a little girl. Mum would pickup my sister and I after work and the subtle, powdery scent of Ombré Rose would be warmed through her neck and coat as she gave us a big hug. I love this scent, I love the memories, I love that its understated. Just beautiful!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

How happens I have never reviewed this?
This is a masterpiece among rose scents. As Meg has correctly pointed out below, this is the Gold Standard of roses, where you go to compare all the other rose scents out there.
It is soft, powdery and delicate, like a whisper on your skin. It is feminine and elegant. the drydown is about a powdery note, with a touch of vanilla - very subdued - heliotrope.
I loved it 30 years ago when it first came out (1981) and still love it today. I wear it often during the day as I find it subtle and very office appropriate. For comparison: it is in the lines of Bulgari Femme (the first one), minus the violet.
Absolutely a must have for any rose lovers.
______________
top notes: Aldehydes, Rosewood, Geranium
heart notes: Rose, Orris, Lily of the valley, Ylang-Ylang
base notes. Tonka, Vanilla, Cinnamom, Heliotrope

This scent is so pretty! The only rose I can consistently wear. Most days I'll use this to soften up some of my stronger fragrances, but it's pretty and light and clean enough to wear on its own to work or school. I'll be keeping a decant of this in my bag to touch up during the day. Often times I'll feel as if this has faded, but I'll turn my head a certain way and still catch a faint whiff. This is a fragrance that people will say, "you smell nice" rather than "what perfume are you wearing?" A great perfume for migraine sufferers like myself who still want to smell nice. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't try this! Please do, you won't regret it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This winter I've had a cold that just lingers.... and it won't go away. Hot liquids -- lots of sleep and chicken soup just isn't making this nasty bug go away any quicker. So I have been looking for many ways to comfort myself and make myself just feel better, until that blessed day when this 'grip' lets go of me. One of my favorite comforting scents is Ombre Rose by Jean-Charles Brosseau. Ombre Rose is a classic scent that I really do find to be under-appreciated. It's a very soft powdery dry-honey rose scent. It's got an old fashionedness to it that is ideal for spritzing after a bath when you want to feel completely feminine, pamerpered and comforted. To me it signifies early childhood warmth and softness; a cuddly blanket; cozy flannel pjs; an affectionate hug given to a special teddy bear. In the fragrance world, Ombre Rose is a 'chicken soup' scent that helps to brighten my spirit and melt the cold away on the darkest day of winter. Pure comfort in a gorgeous bottle.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is fabulous! Ombre Rose is a beautiful soft rose perfume with an overlay of honey and woods. It is quite linear on my skin, but I am very happy with this as it is so lovely. It *is* a powdery scent, but although it has honey (and some musk too listed as a note) it is not overly sweet. The sandalwood gives it a depth and a deepness and I think it is entirely aptly named. I don't find it a bright rose; it's a shadowy, dusky autumn rose with a nostalgic feel to it - just delicious and absolutely full-bottle-worthy!