Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.4

on 8/2/2014 10:46:00 AM

So sad, this has got to have been reformulated, it's so powdery and offensive to my nose compared to how i remember it 25 years ago, another unsniffed purchase mistake.

I think the embossed glass bottle is very pretty but I am not nearly as impressed with the juice it contains.

On me it opens with a blast of aldehydes and not of the fizzy, airy variety but of the nail polish remover variety. I would never judge a perfume on it's opening alone because I have some favourites like Paloma Picasso where the drydown is so divine I can ignore the less than heavenly topnotes. This perfume however fails to change my mind and goes pretty quickly to a linear middle/base of flowers, powder and musk, nothing jarring and nothing if interest.

I love rose and expected more of it from a perfume with it's name but I would be willing to overlook that if this perfume wasn't so boring.

on 10/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Soft feminine allure is how I describe this fragrance. I bought it first in the late 1980's after my first child, a son, was born and I wanted something soft but not overwhelming. Friends would say to me whenever I wore it that it smelled like roses and baby powder. And it did and still does. I bought it again many years later and several years ago (after trying heavy stuff like Shalimar and Coco), this time when my son graduated from high school. It took me back to those precious days but it hadn't changed all that much. I am sure that the formula has been degraded (what hasn't in the perfume world) but since it was a soft subtle fragrance to begin with, it only kept the essential essence of a powdery rose.

It comes in the same bottle and I use the EDT and the cost is reasonable. I am not a big perfume wearer (my signature is Youth Dew which causes women in the mall to oohh and ahhhh when I wear it and laugh because it is almost an ancient perfume), but when I want to wear a fragrance with a steady scent which doesn't start as one thing and then move on to other life stages, I wear my Ombre Rose. I was tempted to get the YSL Parisienne as a stronger form of this scent, but it is a fruity concoction that it is nowhere near as wistful and pretty in its effect as Ombre Rose. Frankly, I think sometimes the more expensive the perfume, the more disappointed your body chemistry becomes.

The last point is that I wear this scent year-round, even for evening. There is something romantic about the aroma which I adore.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was given this perfume about 15 years ago. It came from a young man ( now my son's father ) that worked at a local drug store. That is how we met. Anyway, they ( drugstore ) were selling this in the small black, canister type spray can. I can't say this scent is anything spectacular, but it does bring back memories. Overall, I wouldn't purchase this for myself, but would accept it as a gift - only.

on 10/13/2006 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is my favorite fragrance...I remember the evening in St. Petersburg, FL when I first smelled it in Robinson's Department Store - I couldn't STOP smelling it, couldn't stop smiling, it was so lovely and soft. During the late 80's thru the 90's it lost its appeal to me - it smelled strange, I couldn't put my finger on it - the spell was sadly broken! Now it smelled like the cheaper drugstore version, "Lutece," lacking depth somehow. I was crushed... Then last year, on the MUA Fragrance Board, I read that during that time the company was sold and the formula of Ombre Rose was indeed CHANGED, cheapened! Ah HA! But also, that it was recently REPURCHASED by Brosseau and the original formula has been restored!!! I immediately splurged and treated myself to a gorgous bottle of EDT spray and lo, I fell in love again! A passion renewed. Everyone raves over my scent when I wear this, and I feel as if I'm moving in a soft feminine cloud of loveliness. I love that I don't smell like a department store cosmetic department, or any other woman I know. The men at work actually lean closer to me when I wear Ombre Rose! This is ME, this is mine.

on 9/29/2006 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This was my very first perfume. It's a spicy floral that is very feminine. I remember feeling very grown up when I would put it on.

on 8/8/2005 9:35:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I wore this all through high school. I LOVE this smell. Not just nostalgia and maybe just me but I think it smell very sexy and lady-like at the same time. I do not get all that much rose, but floral powdery...sandalwood?..yummmm it is just sooo nice.

Popular Fragrances