Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by hair type : Other
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

4.3

on 7/31/2010 5:47:00 AM

The gold standard by which all rose perfumes may be judged, delicate, wistful, gossamer, and very lovely. I find it lighthearted in an almost childlike way, neither deep nor complex, and yet there seems to be a soaring quality about it that is emblematic of classical ballet or opera. More than anything it evokes to me the unforgettable cinematic version of that opera of all operas, Die Zauberflöte, so lovingly interpreted and immortalized on celluloid by Ingmar Bergman. Mozart is very difficult to capture on film, and should be virtually impossible to delineate in scent; precariously poised between the worldly and the unworldly, his music is a constant reminder that there is more to life than perhaps meets the eye. However, miraculously, it is also this quality which is the essence of the very aptly named Ombre Rose.

Ombre Rose comes in a one-of-a-kind, intricately carved, octagonal Art Deco bottle. I own a parfum mini, just for the bottle. As for the fragrance... well, points for being wearably demure, despite having been created in the early 1980s. Baby-powdery and honeyed, like rosewater Turkish Delight for the skin. I know it when I smell it, and that's a compliment.

However, I can't wear this outside the house because it just smells uncannily like doll skin. You know those baby dolls whose vinyl skin is impregnated with baby-powder scent for "realism"? This is EXACTLY that scent... right down to an unnerving touch of fresh vinyl. That pretty much nixes the sex appeal for me, although I do like it as an ambient room scent.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

How happens I have never reviewed this?
This is a masterpiece among rose scents. As Meg has correctly pointed out below, this is the Gold Standard of roses, where you go to compare all the other rose scents out there.
It is soft, powdery and delicate, like a whisper on your skin. It is feminine and elegant. the drydown is about a powdery note, with a touch of vanilla - very subdued - heliotrope.
I loved it 30 years ago when it first came out (1981) and still love it today. I wear it often during the day as I find it subtle and very office appropriate. For comparison: it is in the lines of Bulgari Femme (the first one), minus the violet.
Absolutely a must have for any rose lovers.
______________
top notes: Aldehydes, Rosewood, Geranium
heart notes: Rose, Orris, Lily of the valley, Ylang-Ylang
base notes. Tonka, Vanilla, Cinnamom, Heliotrope

This scent is so pretty! The only rose I can consistently wear. Most days I'll use this to soften up some of my stronger fragrances, but it's pretty and light and clean enough to wear on its own to work or school. I'll be keeping a decant of this in my bag to touch up during the day. Often times I'll feel as if this has faded, but I'll turn my head a certain way and still catch a faint whiff. This is a fragrance that people will say, "you smell nice" rather than "what perfume are you wearing?" A great perfume for migraine sufferers like myself who still want to smell nice. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't try this! Please do, you won't regret it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This winter I've had a cold that just lingers.... and it won't go away. Hot liquids -- lots of sleep and chicken soup just isn't making this nasty bug go away any quicker. So I have been looking for many ways to comfort myself and make myself just feel better, until that blessed day when this 'grip' lets go of me. One of my favorite comforting scents is Ombre Rose by Jean-Charles Brosseau. Ombre Rose is a classic scent that I really do find to be under-appreciated. It's a very soft powdery dry-honey rose scent. It's got an old fashionedness to it that is ideal for spritzing after a bath when you want to feel completely feminine, pamerpered and comforted. To me it signifies early childhood warmth and softness; a cuddly blanket; cozy flannel pjs; an affectionate hug given to a special teddy bear. In the fragrance world, Ombre Rose is a 'chicken soup' scent that helps to brighten my spirit and melt the cold away on the darkest day of winter. Pure comfort in a gorgeous bottle.

Ombre Rose is as soft as it gets. Winter or summer, it just seems to envelop you with its rosey sweet powdery muskiness and it always feels right. Pretty and feminine, this classic and I love how the beautiful Art-deco bottle reflects those qualities.

on 9/11/2006 2:56:00 PM

I have just rediscovered this perfume...and I am in love! This little bottle comes with a story...When I was 14, I received it from a boyfriend who bought it on a class trip to France. Back then, I knew nothing about perfume, and hardly used any at all. It adorned my vanity table, and reminded me of him. It got lost in a move, until just a week ago when my sister found it in my old room and sent it to me. It reminds me of being a teen again, but I have a new, more mature outlook on the complexity of the scent itself. There is a subtle flowery sweetness, but not a strong rose note, if that's what you are looking for. I love the powdery finish, and definitely detect some sandalwood, which I absolutely adore! Reminds me of the drydown you get with No. 5 elixir, but sweeter and softer. I think I will have to buy another bottle when I am through with this one! Oh, and for the record- I am 25 and do NOT think this is an "old lady" scent at all!

on 7/27/2008 3:32:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I really like this, for what it is. First on, it's WAY too powdery, as in old fashioned, delicate old woman powdery. Second try and into dry down, it's a guest soap type of rose, velvet powder with a touch of spice. It's actually quite nice for something I expected to be terrible, since it's been a drug store brand for a million years and can be found in every single mini-perfume bottle collection because it's cheap that way. Still, surprisingly pretty. As usual, try it on before investing in a big bottle, because everything is different on everyone.

Popular Fragrances