Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.7

on 2/10/2016 11:55:00 AM

Wonderful winter scent--like wearing a warm coat with a lining of baby powder, spices and subtle floral. Very comforting and the sillage lasts through the day.

Red my entire review before judging the fragrance.

I don't know if Ombre Rose has recently been reformulated or not. A couple of days ago I saw a bottle of Ombre Rose Eau de Cologne in a tall frost glass cylindrical bottle with a silver cap. Normally Ombre Rose has been sold in a cut glass bottle with a white cap as an Eau de Parfum. The two smell entirely different which is why I think the marked Eau de Cologne is a reformulation.

The Eau de Cologne is metallic, cold and herbacious. It actually smells like a mans cologne. The Eau de Parfum is a warm, woody rose/ylang ylang/sandalwood concoction with a powdery finish.

Treat the two as totally different fragrances. So here is my conclusion.

The eau de parfum in the cut glass bottle with the white cap is a beautiful, soft, romantic perfume that is subtle enough to be worn to the office, and floral enough for a date. The eau de cologne in the cylindrical bottle with the silver cap is almost unisex and I think it would work very well on the right person, in warmer weather with smart casual clothing.

on 5/6/2013 7:05:00 AM

Reading the reviews - it's so touching that this scent seems to come with so many emotive story. Here is mine...My mum wore this perfume throughout the 80s and 90s . I was shuffling through her beauty products last weekend (admittedly looking for something to 'borrow' as I am unlikely to pickup my bottle of duty free Chanel no5 anytime soon) and the briefest of sniffs tool me right back to when I was a little girl. Mum would pickup my sister and I after work and the subtle, powdery scent of Ombré Rose would be warmed through her neck and coat as she gave us a big hug. I love this scent, I love the memories, I love that its understated. Just beautiful!

on 9/2/2012 11:39:00 PM

I've been on the fence as to how many stars to give this perfume, because I do like it quite a bit. Ultimately I decided on 3 stars, though I personally like it enough for a 4 star rating, but this comes off to many other people as very powdery. I've even had people tell me I smell like baby powder when wearing this. I don't really want to smell like baby powder to other people, I mean baby powder isn't a bad scent but I'd like to smell a bit more sophisticated than that.

Outside of the baby powder issue, I really like this perfume and think there is more to it than roses and powder. When I pay attention I can smell the different notes through the dry down. I can definitely detect some cinnamon, musk, vanilla, and of course the ever powdery iris. I also get a hint of peach at the very beginning but it doesn't last long, and a bit of woodiness. Like I said, there is more to this perfume than just powder and florals, so I do enjoy it, but I don't find myself wearing it outside of the house much.

on 8/2/2010 7:21:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Lovely, demure fragrance! There is an initial strong alcohol smell ( I guess it's the aldehydes) but then the sweet rose with a slight powdery note emerges. I always associate rose fragrances with soft and romantic and this definitely falls within this category. It is ideal to wear either with a cashmere sweater on a cold day or with a long, boho dress ( or even a 50s full skirt) in the summer. I wouldn't call it "mature" but rather girly and flirtatious. Good lasting power and not too overwhelming to wear even during the day. Although, it is not spectacular, I would find a good use for a full bottle of this.

on 10/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Soft feminine allure is how I describe this fragrance. I bought it first in the late 1980's after my first child, a son, was born and I wanted something soft but not overwhelming. Friends would say to me whenever I wore it that it smelled like roses and baby powder. And it did and still does. I bought it again many years later and several years ago (after trying heavy stuff like Shalimar and Coco), this time when my son graduated from high school. It took me back to those precious days but it hadn't changed all that much. I am sure that the formula has been degraded (what hasn't in the perfume world) but since it was a soft subtle fragrance to begin with, it only kept the essential essence of a powdery rose.

It comes in the same bottle and I use the EDT and the cost is reasonable. I am not a big perfume wearer (my signature is Youth Dew which causes women in the mall to oohh and ahhhh when I wear it and laugh because it is almost an ancient perfume), but when I want to wear a fragrance with a steady scent which doesn't start as one thing and then move on to other life stages, I wear my Ombre Rose. I was tempted to get the YSL Parisienne as a stronger form of this scent, but it is a fruity concoction that it is nowhere near as wistful and pretty in its effect as Ombre Rose. Frankly, I think sometimes the more expensive the perfume, the more disappointed your body chemistry becomes.

The last point is that I wear this scent year-round, even for evening. There is something romantic about the aroma which I adore.

on 7/27/2008 3:32:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I really like this, for what it is. First on, it's WAY too powdery, as in old fashioned, delicate old woman powdery. Second try and into dry down, it's a guest soap type of rose, velvet powder with a touch of spice. It's actually quite nice for something I expected to be terrible, since it's been a drug store brand for a million years and can be found in every single mini-perfume bottle collection because it's cheap that way. Still, surprisingly pretty. As usual, try it on before investing in a big bottle, because everything is different on everyone.

Ombre Rose is as soft as it gets. Winter or summer, it just seems to envelop you with its rosey sweet powdery muskiness and it always feels right. Pretty and feminine, this classic and I love how the beautiful Art-deco bottle reflects those qualities.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was given this perfume about 15 years ago. It came from a young man ( now my son's father ) that worked at a local drug store. That is how we met. Anyway, they ( drugstore ) were selling this in the small black, canister type spray can. I can't say this scent is anything spectacular, but it does bring back memories. Overall, I wouldn't purchase this for myself, but would accept it as a gift - only.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This winter I've had a cold that just lingers.... and it won't go away. Hot liquids -- lots of sleep and chicken soup just isn't making this nasty bug go away any quicker. So I have been looking for many ways to comfort myself and make myself just feel better, until that blessed day when this 'grip' lets go of me. One of my favorite comforting scents is Ombre Rose by Jean-Charles Brosseau. Ombre Rose is a classic scent that I really do find to be under-appreciated. It's a very soft powdery dry-honey rose scent. It's got an old fashionedness to it that is ideal for spritzing after a bath when you want to feel completely feminine, pamerpered and comforted. To me it signifies early childhood warmth and softness; a cuddly blanket; cozy flannel pjs; an affectionate hug given to a special teddy bear. In the fragrance world, Ombre Rose is a 'chicken soup' scent that helps to brighten my spirit and melt the cold away on the darkest day of winter. Pure comfort in a gorgeous bottle.

Popular Fragrances