Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by skin type : Normal
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

4.2

Ombre Rose comes in a one-of-a-kind, intricately carved, octagonal Art Deco bottle. I own a parfum mini, just for the bottle. As for the fragrance... well, points for being wearably demure, despite having been created in the early 1980s. Baby-powdery and honeyed, like rosewater Turkish Delight for the skin. I know it when I smell it, and that's a compliment.

However, I can't wear this outside the house because it just smells uncannily like doll skin. You know those baby dolls whose vinyl skin is impregnated with baby-powder scent for "realism"? This is EXACTLY that scent... right down to an unnerving touch of fresh vinyl. That pretty much nixes the sex appeal for me, although I do like it as an ambient room scent.

on 10/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Soft feminine allure is how I describe this fragrance. I bought it first in the late 1980's after my first child, a son, was born and I wanted something soft but not overwhelming. Friends would say to me whenever I wore it that it smelled like roses and baby powder. And it did and still does. I bought it again many years later and several years ago (after trying heavy stuff like Shalimar and Coco), this time when my son graduated from high school. It took me back to those precious days but it hadn't changed all that much. I am sure that the formula has been degraded (what hasn't in the perfume world) but since it was a soft subtle fragrance to begin with, it only kept the essential essence of a powdery rose.

It comes in the same bottle and I use the EDT and the cost is reasonable. I am not a big perfume wearer (my signature is Youth Dew which causes women in the mall to oohh and ahhhh when I wear it and laugh because it is almost an ancient perfume), but when I want to wear a fragrance with a steady scent which doesn't start as one thing and then move on to other life stages, I wear my Ombre Rose. I was tempted to get the YSL Parisienne as a stronger form of this scent, but it is a fruity concoction that it is nowhere near as wistful and pretty in its effect as Ombre Rose. Frankly, I think sometimes the more expensive the perfume, the more disappointed your body chemistry becomes.

The last point is that I wear this scent year-round, even for evening. There is something romantic about the aroma which I adore.

Ombre Rose is as soft as it gets. Winter or summer, it just seems to envelop you with its rosey sweet powdery muskiness and it always feels right. Pretty and feminine, this classic and I love how the beautiful Art-deco bottle reflects those qualities.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is fabulous! Ombre Rose is a beautiful soft rose perfume with an overlay of honey and woods. It is quite linear on my skin, but I am very happy with this as it is so lovely. It *is* a powdery scent, but although it has honey (and some musk too listed as a note) it is not overly sweet. The sandalwood gives it a depth and a deepness and I think it is entirely aptly named. I don't find it a bright rose; it's a shadowy, dusky autumn rose with a nostalgic feel to it - just delicious and absolutely full-bottle-worthy!

on 6/11/2005 11:21:00 PM

It has a gorgeous bottle but it smells like a little old lady! Very powdery and feminine. Not for me.

This reminds me of the 6th grade!--in the best possible way. One day, I used my mother's Ombre Rose scented soap in the shower and I went to school smelling sooooo good and feeling ultra-chic and grown up. Well, I guess the sense of confidence and well-being I felt that day are strongly connected to this scent (not to mention the sensory connection to my mother), so I doubt I will ever outgrow or grow tired of Ombre Rose. It's so pleasant and wearable and has, for me, become a comfort scent. I'd describe it, like the other reviewers have, as a powdery rose scent. Just beautiful.

Popular Fragrances