Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by skin tone : Other
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

4.6

on 7/31/2010 5:47:00 AM

The gold standard by which all rose perfumes may be judged, delicate, wistful, gossamer, and very lovely. I find it lighthearted in an almost childlike way, neither deep nor complex, and yet there seems to be a soaring quality about it that is emblematic of classical ballet or opera. More than anything it evokes to me the unforgettable cinematic version of that opera of all operas, Die Zauberflöte, so lovingly interpreted and immortalized on celluloid by Ingmar Bergman. Mozart is very difficult to capture on film, and should be virtually impossible to delineate in scent; precariously poised between the worldly and the unworldly, his music is a constant reminder that there is more to life than perhaps meets the eye. However, miraculously, it is also this quality which is the essence of the very aptly named Ombre Rose.

Recently, I've been on a mission to find a vanilla rose perfume that would evoke the taste of Turkish delight. First, I started with Rochas Tocade, which smells like vinyl on me, and then Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri, which overwhelmed my nose with an inedible baby powder note. Today, I tried Ombre Rose, and this is exactly what I've been searching for! The powder scent in Ombre Rose is not reminiscent of baby powder at all; it's more like powdered sugar and vanilla mixed with a hint of rosewater. In other words, it's the exact scent of Turkish delight.

As it dries down, the vanilla fades out, but I think if I layer this with another edible sort of vanilla like Chopard Casmir or L'Aromarine Vanille, it will keep the yumminess going a little longer.

EDIT: as of April 27, I'm downgrading this from five lippies to four, just because the fragrance does seem to have an inedible baby powder note at times, and I can only cover it up by layering it with other scents.

on 9/11/2006 2:56:00 PM

I have just rediscovered this perfume...and I am in love! This little bottle comes with a story...When I was 14, I received it from a boyfriend who bought it on a class trip to France. Back then, I knew nothing about perfume, and hardly used any at all. It adorned my vanity table, and reminded me of him. It got lost in a move, until just a week ago when my sister found it in my old room and sent it to me. It reminds me of being a teen again, but I have a new, more mature outlook on the complexity of the scent itself. There is a subtle flowery sweetness, but not a strong rose note, if that's what you are looking for. I love the powdery finish, and definitely detect some sandalwood, which I absolutely adore! Reminds me of the drydown you get with No. 5 elixir, but sweeter and softer. I think I will have to buy another bottle when I am through with this one! Oh, and for the record- I am 25 and do NOT think this is an "old lady" scent at all!

Lovely, lovely!!! Very romantic, classy and feminine in a refined way. Unique and powdery fragrance. Not very popular and therefore an insider-tip!?!?! Hard to find in Germany. *Ombre Rose* smells a bit like *LUTECE by Houbigant*. If you can't find Ombre Rose try Lutece instead.
Have fun and enjoy fragrances!!!

This reminds me of the 6th grade!--in the best possible way. One day, I used my mother's Ombre Rose scented soap in the shower and I went to school smelling sooooo good and feeling ultra-chic and grown up. Well, I guess the sense of confidence and well-being I felt that day are strongly connected to this scent (not to mention the sensory connection to my mother), so I doubt I will ever outgrow or grow tired of Ombre Rose. It's so pleasant and wearable and has, for me, become a comfort scent. I'd describe it, like the other reviewers have, as a powdery rose scent. Just beautiful.

Popular Fragrances