Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.7

on 8/2/2014 10:46:00 AM

So sad, this has got to have been reformulated, it's so powdery and offensive to my nose compared to how i remember it 25 years ago, another unsniffed purchase mistake.

Red my entire review before judging the fragrance.

I don't know if Ombre Rose has recently been reformulated or not. A couple of days ago I saw a bottle of Ombre Rose Eau de Cologne in a tall frost glass cylindrical bottle with a silver cap. Normally Ombre Rose has been sold in a cut glass bottle with a white cap as an Eau de Parfum. The two smell entirely different which is why I think the marked Eau de Cologne is a reformulation.

The Eau de Cologne is metallic, cold and herbacious. It actually smells like a mans cologne. The Eau de Parfum is a warm, woody rose/ylang ylang/sandalwood concoction with a powdery finish.

Treat the two as totally different fragrances. So here is my conclusion.

The eau de parfum in the cut glass bottle with the white cap is a beautiful, soft, romantic perfume that is subtle enough to be worn to the office, and floral enough for a date. The eau de cologne in the cylindrical bottle with the silver cap is almost unisex and I think it would work very well on the right person, in warmer weather with smart casual clothing.

on 2/2/2009 6:10:00 PM

Too sweet. Smells like something an old woman would wear. Very claustrophobic scent as it is so overpowering. Emily Howard, from Little Britain would wear this in a effort to be 'more of a laydeeeee!!' I had to chuck the sample away I hated it so much.

on 11/10/2006 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

It is the weirdest thing, I don't smell rose at all. It smells like sweet almond extract, plasticky, and a hint of baby tushie. I will stick to Nahema which is still my favorite rose in all the garden.

on 5/26/2005 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This smells like playdough on me... I have toilet cleaners that smell better than this. Definitely not for me. Have a nice day!

I think the embossed glass bottle is very pretty but I am not nearly as impressed with the juice it contains.

On me it opens with a blast of aldehydes and not of the fizzy, airy variety but of the nail polish remover variety. I would never judge a perfume on it's opening alone because I have some favourites like Paloma Picasso where the drydown is so divine I can ignore the less than heavenly topnotes. This perfume however fails to change my mind and goes pretty quickly to a linear middle/base of flowers, powder and musk, nothing jarring and nothing if interest.

I love rose and expected more of it from a perfume with it's name but I would be willing to overlook that if this perfume wasn't so boring.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My mom wore this in the '80s, and I really tried to like it then because I LOVED that gorgeous octagonal bottle. Fast-forward 20 years, they're selling it at Marshalls and I try it again. Still no go. I like soft, warm, powdery scents, and this one has some lovely and very feminine notes, but there is a strong peach note to it and it really is too sickly-sweet for me. I would like this scent a lot if it didn't have that syrupy canned-peach note that turns rather urine-like on my skin. Try before you buy!

I give it 2 lippies because it is a very well-crafted scent, just not for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was given this perfume about 15 years ago. It came from a young man ( now my son's father ) that worked at a local drug store. That is how we met. Anyway, they ( drugstore ) were selling this in the small black, canister type spray can. I can't say this scent is anything spectacular, but it does bring back memories. Overall, I wouldn't purchase this for myself, but would accept it as a gift - only.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I agree whole-heartedly with Magnificent- it does smell like "Lutece"- that's why I don't care for it. The rose really did get left in the shadows on this one. Much too musky on my skin as well.

on 6/11/2005 11:21:00 PM

It has a gorgeous bottle but it smells like a little old lady! Very powdery and feminine. Not for me.

Popular Fragrances