Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by age: 44-55
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.6

Red my entire review before judging the fragrance.

I don't know if Ombre Rose has recently been reformulated or not. A couple of days ago I saw a bottle of Ombre Rose Eau de Cologne in a tall frost glass cylindrical bottle with a silver cap. Normally Ombre Rose has been sold in a cut glass bottle with a white cap as an Eau de Parfum. The two smell entirely different which is why I think the marked Eau de Cologne is a reformulation.

The Eau de Cologne is metallic, cold and herbacious. It actually smells like a mans cologne. The Eau de Parfum is a warm, woody rose/ylang ylang/sandalwood concoction with a powdery finish.

Treat the two as totally different fragrances. So here is my conclusion.

The eau de parfum in the cut glass bottle with the white cap is a beautiful, soft, romantic perfume that is subtle enough to be worn to the office, and floral enough for a date. The eau de cologne in the cylindrical bottle with the silver cap is almost unisex and I think it would work very well on the right person, in warmer weather with smart casual clothing.

on 1/24/2010 11:40:00 AM

i have had a sample of this forever and don't ask me why I never disposed of it, maybel because the bottle was so pretty. As I am now on a major economy drive and busy using up all the thousands of samples I religiously collect I decided to dab some on........amazing......yes it is a very very powdery rose and maybe not a 'stop you in your tracks' scent there is however something very 'chicken soup' comfort factor about it. It is fading fast, but as a Sunday afternoon, glass of wine and tv catchup scent It's good for me.

on 10/2/2009 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Soft feminine allure is how I describe this fragrance. I bought it first in the late 1980's after my first child, a son, was born and I wanted something soft but not overwhelming. Friends would say to me whenever I wore it that it smelled like roses and baby powder. And it did and still does. I bought it again many years later and several years ago (after trying heavy stuff like Shalimar and Coco), this time when my son graduated from high school. It took me back to those precious days but it hadn't changed all that much. I am sure that the formula has been degraded (what hasn't in the perfume world) but since it was a soft subtle fragrance to begin with, it only kept the essential essence of a powdery rose.

It comes in the same bottle and I use the EDT and the cost is reasonable. I am not a big perfume wearer (my signature is Youth Dew which causes women in the mall to oohh and ahhhh when I wear it and laugh because it is almost an ancient perfume), but when I want to wear a fragrance with a steady scent which doesn't start as one thing and then move on to other life stages, I wear my Ombre Rose. I was tempted to get the YSL Parisienne as a stronger form of this scent, but it is a fruity concoction that it is nowhere near as wistful and pretty in its effect as Ombre Rose. Frankly, I think sometimes the more expensive the perfume, the more disappointed your body chemistry becomes.

The last point is that I wear this scent year-round, even for evening. There is something romantic about the aroma which I adore.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was given this perfume about 15 years ago. It came from a young man ( now my son's father ) that worked at a local drug store. That is how we met. Anyway, they ( drugstore ) were selling this in the small black, canister type spray can. I can't say this scent is anything spectacular, but it does bring back memories. Overall, I wouldn't purchase this for myself, but would accept it as a gift - only.

on 8/26/2007 12:50:00 PM

I don't know exactly what to say about this one. It is a soft powdery-honeyed rose scent to me. Very feminine, but not that unique to me. Smells old fashioned, and pleasant. I personally, don't like any kind of rose scent, but at least, this isn't too pungent a rose scent, like alot of them are. Just okay...

on 6/2/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was ubiquitous in the 80s, as I remembered when I first sniffed it. I really like it, though--rosey, at once honeyed and powdery. Reminds me of Teint de Neige, but rosier and not as cloying.

on 10/13/2006 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is my favorite fragrance...I remember the evening in St. Petersburg, FL when I first smelled it in Robinson's Department Store - I couldn't STOP smelling it, couldn't stop smiling, it was so lovely and soft. During the late 80's thru the 90's it lost its appeal to me - it smelled strange, I couldn't put my finger on it - the spell was sadly broken! Now it smelled like the cheaper drugstore version, "Lutece," lacking depth somehow. I was crushed... Then last year, on the MUA Fragrance Board, I read that during that time the company was sold and the formula of Ombre Rose was indeed CHANGED, cheapened! Ah HA! But also, that it was recently REPURCHASED by Brosseau and the original formula has been restored!!! I immediately splurged and treated myself to a gorgous bottle of EDT spray and lo, I fell in love again! A passion renewed. Everyone raves over my scent when I wear this, and I feel as if I'm moving in a soft feminine cloud of loveliness. I love that I don't smell like a department store cosmetic department, or any other woman I know. The men at work actually lean closer to me when I wear Ombre Rose! This is ME, this is mine.

on 6/11/2005 11:21:00 PM

It has a gorgeous bottle but it smells like a little old lady! Very powdery and feminine. Not for me.

on 5/6/2005 3:57:00 PM

Like so many of you hear at MUA, I too have a large collection of fragrances but Ombre Rose is the queen. I have worn this on and off since the early 80's and I absolutely adore it. My only complaint is that I wish it were stronger! The last bottle that I bought online a couple of months ago is much more powdery than I remember it but I still love it. They changed the formula for a few years but apparently, Jean-Charles has won the rights back and has restored it to it's original scent. I'm sure there are many bottles out there which aren't the original, even if it does say "L'original." Imagine my delight the other day when I walked into Walmart in small town Ontario and saw Ombre Rose - 30 ml for $24.95 Cdn. I haven't bought it yet but I am curious to see if it is the real McCoy.

Lovely, lovely!!! Very romantic, classy and feminine in a refined way. Unique and powdery fragrance. Not very popular and therefore an insider-tip!?!?! Hard to find in Germany. *Ombre Rose* smells a bit like *LUTECE by Houbigant*. If you can't find Ombre Rose try Lutece instead.
Have fun and enjoy fragrances!!!

Popular Fragrances