Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Filtered by age: 30-35
 Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

2.9

on 9/2/2012 11:39:00 PM

I've been on the fence as to how many stars to give this perfume, because I do like it quite a bit. Ultimately I decided on 3 stars, though I personally like it enough for a 4 star rating, but this comes off to many other people as very powdery. I've even had people tell me I smell like baby powder when wearing this. I don't really want to smell like baby powder to other people, I mean baby powder isn't a bad scent but I'd like to smell a bit more sophisticated than that.

Outside of the baby powder issue, I really like this perfume and think there is more to it than roses and powder. When I pay attention I can smell the different notes through the dry down. I can definitely detect some cinnamon, musk, vanilla, and of course the ever powdery iris. I also get a hint of peach at the very beginning but it doesn't last long, and a bit of woodiness. Like I said, there is more to this perfume than just powder and florals, so I do enjoy it, but I don't find myself wearing it outside of the house much.

on 8/2/2010 7:21:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Lovely, demure fragrance! There is an initial strong alcohol smell ( I guess it's the aldehydes) but then the sweet rose with a slight powdery note emerges. I always associate rose fragrances with soft and romantic and this definitely falls within this category. It is ideal to wear either with a cashmere sweater on a cold day or with a long, boho dress ( or even a 50s full skirt) in the summer. I wouldn't call it "mature" but rather girly and flirtatious. Good lasting power and not too overwhelming to wear even during the day. Although, it is not spectacular, I would find a good use for a full bottle of this.

I think the embossed glass bottle is very pretty but I am not nearly as impressed with the juice it contains.

On me it opens with a blast of aldehydes and not of the fizzy, airy variety but of the nail polish remover variety. I would never judge a perfume on it's opening alone because I have some favourites like Paloma Picasso where the drydown is so divine I can ignore the less than heavenly topnotes. This perfume however fails to change my mind and goes pretty quickly to a linear middle/base of flowers, powder and musk, nothing jarring and nothing if interest.

I love rose and expected more of it from a perfume with it's name but I would be willing to overlook that if this perfume wasn't so boring.

on 2/2/2009 6:10:00 PM

Too sweet. Smells like something an old woman would wear. Very claustrophobic scent as it is so overpowering. Emily Howard, from Little Britain would wear this in a effort to be 'more of a laydeeeee!!' I had to chuck the sample away I hated it so much.

Ombre Rose is as soft as it gets. Winter or summer, it just seems to envelop you with its rosey sweet powdery muskiness and it always feels right. Pretty and feminine, this classic and I love how the beautiful Art-deco bottle reflects those qualities.

on 6/24/2008 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This scent is so beautiful. I first smelt it as a child on lush looking grown up beauties and wanted some day to grow up and wear it, to match it in loveliness as the women I saw did. For me as a grown up now, it's as beautiful, seductive, sexy and lovely as ever it was. It is strong but not overpowering, it doesn't leave a skunk trail like some strong perfumes do and they can be offensive. In fact when I sit next to someone on a train wearing a strong scent, I move if I can or feel sick. But L'Ombre Rose is in a class of it's own for me and does have a gorgeous sillage but it is never overpowering or offensive. It is a melange of sweet, heady, warm and luxuriance with a citrus scent too, an aldehyde quality but as far as i know without any actual citrus in it. Like sweet and sour food, like an apple with cheese and red wine, it's a perfectly delicious combination, you get the best of both worlds. It doesn't say vamp in an obviously sexy way, but the ylang ylang, vanilla, rose, peach, iris, lily of the valley (which I usually hate but not here) sandalwood and rich musk give it a juicy, sensual richness and and a quality that almost reminds me of the scent of clean skin, warm bodies, after the dry down as the scent evolves on the skin.
I have tried hundreds of perfumes, but none of them has the strength without overload, the warmth and richness and uplifting hit of citrus and sweetness without sickliness, that this does, combining so well, without being cloying for me, none are as beautiful. Many are lovely, many are sumptuous, but none match this scent, it does everything, like the beauty of Ingrid Bergman in an old B&W movie, her face could portray sister, mother, seductress and this scent on me can be innocent, fine for occasions when one doesn't want to seem as though one is trying to be seductive, but on the other hand it does have an almost erotic undertone, the warmth, evoking bare rosy flesh beneath the clothes, it is very sexy, so the guys say and I agree.
I think it may've been one of the first gourmand scents, if not the first gourmand fragrance, and none does it better for me, if you want a man to smell your scent and salivate, without finding it too much and be nauseated as Angel etc can, this is it, you will smell utterly delicious. I heard this was first inspired by a line of poetry from Proust, 'A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur.' A romantic thought for an intensely heady and voluptuously romantic scent.
And for those who say it smells old lady, not true, at least not on me, on the contrary, I get tons of compliments from young guys, teens included to guys in their 30's when wearing this, in fact I've known them to swoon over this scent and make 'yummy noises' of appreciation. Another nice thing about it is, one can smell all the ingredients of the scent, pick them out and yet they mix together on the skin like fine layers of silk, I'm wearing this for life, may they always make it, I'll import it if I have to, I love it, guys swoon, what's not to love?
And not only does it seem to be an aphrodisiac for scent challenged males, it also has a comforting quality, it's a real chameleon, perfect, everything I could ever want from a scent in one lovely bottle. I've been trying so many fragrances, thinking that perfection could be improved upon, it can't this is it, besides I wouldn't want to disappoint the guys by changing my scent, what was I thinking of - try it! Actually don't, I want it all to myself, my signature scent, keep off, find your own! But if you really want a lift and to feel gorgeous, I suppose I should share the experience. If your love life cupboard is bare, I get guys follow this scent trail in the street, nice, gorgeous ones too. So I ought to be generous, this is the holy grail, really, if you like the ingredients already, you will adore this and so will the guys around you. And if you;re feeling rotten with flu, stuck at home feeling really drab, fed-up and sorry for yourself, this will cocoon you in warmth, like a lover's embrace, really, I mean it, it's more comforting than a bar of chocolate and reminds you of how female and lovely you can be. One proviso, this is not good for women who like the androgynous, this scent is very much all woman, which could be why some young girls may think it too old, they're not yet, nor ready yet to be a full on siren of sensuality at the height of her powers, well that's what it evokes to me and those who comment. Just wait till you get a little older girls, if you like the ingredients, one day you will enjoy what this does for you! Thinking about it, I don't get compliments from other women when I wear it, they all come from men but I can live with that.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I agree whole-heartedly with Magnificent- it does smell like "Lutece"- that's why I don't care for it. The rose really did get left in the shadows on this one. Much too musky on my skin as well.

on 11/10/2006 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

It is the weirdest thing, I don't smell rose at all. It smells like sweet almond extract, plasticky, and a hint of baby tushie. I will stick to Nahema which is still my favorite rose in all the garden.

on 1/23/2005 6:49:00 PM

I love powdery scents, and this is no exception. If you like Lipstick Rose or Ivoire, try this. It has the same cosmetic drama of the first, and shares with the second a tension between softness and astringency.

on 12/5/2004 12:34:00 PM

When I first sniffed this then initially applied I really loved the powdery rose and felt completely smitten. However it leaves a somewhat chemical, dry rose scent after a while which did fade as it dried completely. It is quite nice, extremely comforting (it reminds me of something from my youth just not sure what) but it is just not the holy grail I thought it might be. Beautiful bottle and I will use it happily.

Popular Fragrances