3.8

Reviews

1.0
from

8 years ago

First wore this back in 1987. Thought I loved it until my friend politely informed me that I smelled like mildewed wet towels. OMFG! She was right! Never wore this again and from that day forward no matter who is wearing this regardless the event or their age all I discern is the smell of wet towels. Revisited this last year in the hope my nose had matured, it hadn't. I still loathe this as all I smell is musty mildewed towels with a little bit of rose oil. Sorry ladies who love this, but clearly this doesn't agree with my chemistry. Horrid.

About reviewer (371 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Other, Neutral

HairOther, Other, Other

8 years ago

Mais oui, mais oui! The first truly womanly fragrance I've ever owned that wears without being an unpleasant reminder of some ancient dowager draped in an expensive but musty Murano lace shroud. Tuberose, yes. Gardenia, yes. But on my skin an underlying sense of something wise and intriguingly sinister. It makes me want to strut with an old-world feminine air... an air strenghtened by an in invisible core of steel... and I don't just mean corset stays. Although... this is precisely how I imagine Scarlett O'Hara would have smelled at the height of her denied passion for Rhett. If ever the word Fracas defined anyone, it would have been her. I purchased the pure perfume, and unlike all the many reviews I've thus perused, I do not find that this scent is overwhelming at all, in fact it disappears on my skin rather too quickly. Must be my DNA aching to absord all that it can, as quickly as it can, from our mythical Scarlett.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairRed

8 years ago

This is such a feminine, floral fragrance. None of the androgyny of the more modern stuff that crowds the counters. It lasts all day on me, and I love catching a whiff whenever I move.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairBrunette

8 years ago

I'm a lurker on the fragrance board, and Fracas is a fragrance that comes up repeatedly as a legendary perfume. I thought I wasn't a fan of white floral, but I'm starting to think differently after testing Fracas. I sent an email to the customer service at Robert Piguet asking if they sold samples,they asked me for my address, and sent me a free sample vial of Fracas and Bandit eau de parfum! I received the samples only two days after my request. I'm incredibly impressed with their customer service. Most perfume companies are stingy nowadays, so I was pleasantly surprised at their generosity. Fracas is absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of Spring when the trees start flowering. I was worried that this was going to be so powerful it would knock me out—since I've read so many reviews that place emphasis on its potency—but the sample that I received isn't overwhelming at all. I put a dab on each wrist, and I can't really smell any insane sillage. I asked my boyfriend if he could smell it, and he said he couldn't until I held my wrist under his nose. It's a very clean and realistic floral. I don't see this as being sexy or brash, but rather ladylike, classy, and soft. There's a creaminess to it, and it just melts into my skin. I'd wear this with a crisp, white blouse on a sunny spring day.

About reviewer (112 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

8 years ago

Delicious! I love tuberose, and Fracas is the ne plus ultra of tuberose fragrances. I've read lots of reviews about how this is an ultrafeminine/diva fragrance for special nights out, but I wear it any time (in very tiny dabs: my tester vial has lasted almost a year). I feel like it warms up my somewhat androgynous wardrobe.

About reviewer (54 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

9 years ago

Oh, Fracas... Where have you been all my life??? This is a lovely tuberose/gardenia scent with just the smallest touch of cream for warmth. It reminds me of Le Meridien's lobby in Cancun where they keep fresh tropical flowers in vases... So fresh, so clean, so tropical, so me... :-)

About reviewer (49 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Other

3.0

9 years ago

Fracas has legendary status in the world of perfumes. And I so wanted to LOVE it because of that. I first found this in a corner drugstore back in the late 60's or early 70's (when there were still corner drugstores) that had a weirdly eclectic assortment of fragrances. I bought it with my babysitting money (that's how young I was). It was AWFUL on me. Years later, I found it again and figured that a fragrance that hadn't suited me as a teenager (when I should have been wearing Love's Lemon) would suit me now as a grown woman. WRONG. It still smelled dreadful on me - too heavy and cloyingly sweet. Just not the scent for me and my skin chemistry or my fragrance preferences or maybe both. I envy women who can carry this scent off; I'm just not one of them.

About reviewer (1495 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBrown

9 years ago

The EDP is a bit harsh to me. But the parfum . . . wow. It's a fragrance that, in parfum form, melds with the warmth of my skin and becomes part of my natural scent. I feel comfortable in this. This is a glorious tuberose, yet for me it's much more. My nose always picks up something different from it. There's something slightly edible about it---bread, a touch of salt, I'm not sure. I also smell paper money? All of it together smells like hot skin. I know that sounds strange. I used up my little decant and had to buy myself a larger quantity; this is a classic fragrance that will definitely stay in my wardrobe.

About reviewer (92 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Curly, Medium

EyesBrown

Fracas is the One.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

from

9 years ago

I know a lot of people say that Fracas is a outgoing, loud, sexy, in-your-face kind of perfume. Hell, even the name "Fracas" implies it. So maybe I'm completely off base but I find Fracas to be more warm, soft, gentle, and comforting than anything else. There is cleavage yes, but it's not sex symbol out in the club - it's curled up on the sofa nuzzling someone. I'll admit the opening can be a bit strong and floral. It's definitely tuberose and white floral. And it is absolutely necessary to exercise restraint (a dab! A dab! The longevity and silliage of Fracas is infamous, a tiny dab is all you need!) But even on the first dab, the heart of the fragrance is there and it's soft and creamy - like butter melting on slab of warm bread. The opening florals fade quite fast on me and Fracas goes very quickly to the drydown which I love. It's sweet, complex, spicy and everything I thought more vanilla-based scents would be (I'm lookin' at you Shalimar), it becomes more gourmand like than anything floral (I've been told "reminiscent of Snickerdoodles" before) without ever crossing into the "too sweet" category. The drydown also wears quite close to the skin so it's not overpowering in the least. After the initial opening, a bit of powderiness does come out (I strongly dislike powdery scents) but it's not terribly strong and it fades away quite fast as well. If it weren't for that slight powderiness in the middle, I'd give this a 5/5. Absolutely love the drydown. And as just about everyone says, Fracas lasts for ages (up to 5-6 days on clothes), about a full day on skin. I've only got the rollerball so far so can't quite comment on the bottle itself yet but I'll be looking to get one soon.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

Age19-24