Robert Piguet Fragrances Fracas

Robert Piguet Fragrances Fracas

3.8

on 7/4/2016 11:05:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Norma Desmond in "Sunset Blvd" wore tuberose perfume. I imagine it was Fracas. Love her, love Fracas.

This is Lana Turner in a bottle. A young, sexy and sensual blonde in a film noir. There is nothing "old lady" in this at all, to me it's so creamy and lush. I wore it to acting class and I think it seduced absolutely everyone. Very expensive but I'll never be without it. Love love love.

To Read all 393 Reviews, Login or Join

The queen of Tuberose! Swirling! as someone else commented. A boom of white flowers. Sephora was selling this a while back and I aquired the roller ball edp for about $25.00. I love it. I can see where some might think it smells cheap and old fashioned. I like when it mellows down and turns musky, my skin tends to turn scents musky in a good way, I was told it smells nice. I wish Sephora would bring it back. It is very expensive everywhere else, even on ebay I can't find the roller ball. Would love a full bottle, I might have to splurge on this one.

on 10/31/2015 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

UPDATE 7/12/16: I now appreciate this fragrance. It is very strong with good sillage. I like to mix it with Alien. I have received numerous compliments. It is nice.

Absolutely Disappointed. I should have listened to the reviewers who said this is a strong gardenia smell and old-ladyish and cheap. It is horrid. I was so excited I thought I was going to fall in love but it lacks finesse, complexity and beauty. It in fact smells like some cheap candle from Wal Mart. I can't wait to get rid of this. It is awful how women flock to certain things because celebrities wear it. This is crap. Dior Blooming Bouquet is perfection for those who love beautiful florals.

on 10/9/2015 2:31:00 PM

Fracas is the kind of perfume that will make you really work on your adjectives. "Sexy" doesn't even begin to cut it. "Sensual" is better, but lacks dynamism. Fracas smells like what I would imagine an anime magical girl transformation sequence to smell like: swirling, flower-heavy femininity, perfectly distilled and turned up to eleven. It's like taking all the energy in the ocean and channeling it through tons of white flowers. It's like every tuberose in the world bottled together with its shadow. It will fill your space in waves. You only need one spray to enter the dream state.

on 4/12/2015 10:58:00 PM

It is expensive but worth it (parfum is $125 for .25 oz.). I don't care for many perfumes, and it took me about five years of searching to find Fracas. I am not good at describing scents, I can only say that I feel amazing after I apply a dab of this. A little goes a long way.

on 11/11/2014 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Fracas has swept me off my feet since the first time I tried it which is the last thing I expected because:
a. I'm - ermm, was - a self proclaimed tuberose hater (foolish girl)
b. I hated Truth or Dare with a burning passion (well, I still do but I just like my tuberose fresh and natural, not drowned in syrup and coated with sugar, thank you very much)

So let me tell you, Fracas was SO NOT what I had been expecting! I expected a dense wall of tuberose, a huge moody, diva-esque big bold white floral, a more glam Amarige or an amplified EL Tuberose Gardenia at least.

What surprised me most is how bright and luminous it smells. NO moodiness or extreme thickness whatsoever. Must be the hyacinth, green notes, osmanthus, bergamot, peach, mandarin and vetiver that make it so effervescent. Also I get the narcissus and orange blossom but thankfully they don't steal the show. The sweetness here is so playful, not vanillic or honeyed, but strangely borderline bubblegum-like. I'm very curious to try Bubblegum Chic by James Heeley now. I just can't believe it was formulated in 1948! Fracas smells much more modern than retro to me, more girly than femme fatale-esque, evokes more of a playful wink rather than an enigmatic smile but it's still elegant, do you get my drift?

Anyway, there are not huge changes towards the drydown, it just gets more subdued and grounded as the sparkle fades out but it's still very much a sweet, pretty and happy bouquet of flowers. A very smooth and well blended one too. Sillage and longevity are very good here.

Since then I have started exploring the realm of tuberose but no other seems to get it that right and straight to the point; Versace Blonde had some heady narcissus going on and there was more powdery/soapy, Do Son and Nuit de Tubereuse were just too demure along with Chasse aux Papillons and its large dose of orange blossom, Carnal Flower was very natural but intensely green, Tubereuse Criminelle was very dramatic but unwearble for me and Beyond Love turned out quite sweet, fruity and beachy.

Fracas is a beautiful scent, full of life and well deserving to be called one of the classics. Try it when you have the chance.

on 5/8/2014 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Fracas is a 1948 perfume composed by Germaine Cellier, one of the first very successful female perfumers (and with a personality to match her talent). She is known for her ability to impart her fragrances with bold strokes: in her impeccably polished compositions few selected notes are *overdosed* and as a result her perfumes have as much elegance as they have attitude and personality. All her fragrances are distinctive and very much love or hate affairs. Fracas is a great example to prove the point.

Despite its tuberose-centric reputation, Fracas is just about orange blossom as it is about tuberose thanks to an unheard-of-before overdose of both notes, which shine and reign over armfuls of other flowers (narcissus, jonquil, rose, jasmine…). Fracas is not heavy, it is actually bright and luminous, but it’s aldehydic top imparts an impressive sillage. Fracas starts off with an expanding aldehydic cloud, with the recognizable joyful brightness from the orange blossoms and a cooler, almost sinister nuance from the tuberose. The tuberose becomes buttery and more seductive over time, while the candy-like sweetness of orange flowers recedes after the early stages. As the fragrance develops, darker, earthier notes cast their shadows – and at the very end I am left with the olfactory impression of warm, soft skin.

Few notes on concentrations and application:
1) The edp is the brightest and the sweetest of the three Fracas versions (edp, extrait, solid). The edp has also more development, nuances and “presence”: it packs at least 10x the sillage of the others when sprayed from the bottle. One spray is all you need. The solid, while smelling “like Fracas”, does not develop much, it is quiet and, IMO, the least interesting iteration. The pure parfum smells more “contracted”, as it usually happens with higher perfume concentrations, and feels darker and earthier from the very beginning. Less candy-sweet, less sinister, less diffusive - but also less luminous and nuanced.

2) Despite the hefty markup, the extrait is not “objectively” better than the edp: it doesn’t smell like there is an obvious leap in the quality of the ingredients or overall composition (in Chanel and Guerlain extraits I promise you can smell and feel the money that went into every single aspect of the final product). The packaging reflects the lack of added value: while I adore the design of the bottle, the cap is made of cheap plastic (as opposed to glass, which is “de riguer” for the price point). The cap I own has not been properly smoothed, it has a nasty peak from the mold that stings the skin. Go for the parfum if you don’t appreciate the edp’s sweetness or its sillage and/or the corresponding effects (headache, people complaining, self awareness, …). Buy it only if the differences are worth-while for you. I did, and am happy with my pruchase, though I feel a bit cheated by the price.

3) Not everyone loves the same things, and that’s fine. But aldehydic fragrances can really put off a great percentage of people who would adooooore them, just because when sprayed these perfumes may be perceived as too “perfumey”, too diffusive, too insistent. Hey, I am just one of those poeple. My cry to Fracas lovers and haters alike: TRY A DAB FRACAS EDP. Just…try it. Dabbing a diffusive fragrance is going to change its volume dramatically. You are going to experience it in a very different way. Fracas edp dabbed is the most friendly and beautiful tuberose perfume I know (the manufacturer samples are dab vials, perfect for the test). If you still hate it, it's ok! But if and when you get Fracas in the right incarnation for you, you will be floored by its amazing beauty and timeless elegance.
Fracas has an irresistible happy and glamorous quality about it... now who would pass on that?!? ;)

I'm in the minority here, and this is strictly based on my body chemistry, but I absolutely despise this perfume. After reading all the raving reviews, I so wanted to love it. I tried it twice but couldn't handle any more. I ordered this through Fragrancenet.com, so I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle, however, I've ordered numerous times from them before and had no issues. Simply put, this fragrance made me sick to my stomach, something that has never happened to me by smelling a perfume. It smelled like someone using deodorant to cover already bad BO, where, in this case, they used tuberose & gardenia to hide the mustiness. I won't say this is an "old lady" perfume because I don't judge scents that way, but it just wasn't for me. I'm not sure I'll ever smell another perfume with tuberose in it again. Now I have a full bottle of this stuff and have no idea what to do with it.

on 4/6/2014 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Fracas= my perfume for life. I've been wearing this exclusively for about 10 years now. I knew this was the scent for me from my first spray. This is a strong tuberose fragrance; it's and sexy. Luckily for me, it sets very well on my skin. This is not for everyone- it is far from subtle. I have received countless compliments on my perfume and comments recognizing my presence due to this fragrance. I'd suggest wearing this only if you love making an impact.

Personally, I do not smell the "sweetness" of this perfume. For me, there is a strange freshness about this scent in which I smell the tuberose (heavily), some jasmine, gardenia, and a bit of orange blossom.

I don't find this a "club night" type of perfume-think more maturely mysterious. Whether you use this occasionally for a special occasion or as an everyday perfume, this will make you feel womanly and confident, ready to seduce and be remembered. Independence in a bottle.

Popular Fragrances