Avene Cleanance K [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Avene  Cleanance K [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Avene Thermal Spring Water - Cyclomethicone - Water - Gylcolic Acid - Propylene Glycol - Glycerine - Polyacrylamide - Lactic Acid - Polymethyl Methacrylate - Sodium Hydroxide - C13-14 Isoparaffin - Disodium Phosphate - Bisabolol - Citric Acid - Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil - Dimethiconol - Disodium EDTA - Fragrance - Laureth-7 - Polysorbate 20 - Salicylic Acid - Zinc Gluconate

I would say this is far better than anything LRP or Bioderma had to offer. This is like a light lotion if you are suffering from breakouts and need a lotion treatment, i like to use this under makeup when i really need help. This dries down quickly and layers very well but doens't leave me dry like LRP efflclar range. I feel that its effective and keeps me matte. This can be used at night too under anything you like but usu at night i use a spot treatment. The only thing i don't like is its strong fragrance but I can over look that given its efficacy.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is a great product for those who figured out the inside problem of acne and is now trying to fade acne scars and impurities. Here's my story. I used to have very oily skin, blackheads, clogged pores, acnes. It was just awful. I did hormone testing and everything seemed to be fine. Finally I realized (God bless that day) the whole problem was in sugar. I stopped eating ALL sweet products, even a small glass of fresh orange juice would make me break out. I put myself on a strict diet with no spicy and sugar products. I replaced the bars of candies I used to eat every day with a mix of natural nuts, walnuts and fried cranberries. Nuts are the source of B vitamin which is necessary for skin health. The result was seen in a week or so. No more breakouts, skin tended to oil less, the overall condition was getting better, although the blackheads and acne scars were still there. So I went to the pharmacy and got Avene Cleanance Gel (I read a lot about AHA & BHA products) and started using it mixing with Avene Cleanance K Lotion and Bioderma Sebium Serum (which contains only AHA acids while Avene Cleanance Gel contains both AHA and BHA which I think is cool since salicylic acid is an essential ingredient for exfoliating skin. It tingles but not as badly as Bioderma. The complexion is getting better from the first use. I didn't believe it was possible to ever make my pores look smaller, but it worked.

Overall, do not expect this product to work like a miracle for you if you don't cure the main 'inside' problem of your acne. It is not the product that makes you breakout, it might be your eating habits or hormones.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this product to help combat my moderate but consistent acne. I use a lot of oil control products and was using salicylic acid but it didn't seem enough so I thought the AHA in this would really help. The price was a little more than I pay for products usually and the packaging is suitable for the purpose.

Onto the product...
I used Cleanance K gel-cream for 5 weeks before discontinuing it as it has destroyed my skin completely. As I said, I had acne but not tons of it but it was constant, I always had spots. I used Cleanance K in the mornings only and found that for the first 3 weeks nothing really happened. I felt that there was a decline in new spots but not enough to warrant repurchasing. THEN, my face exploded; huge painful spots full of crud, clogged pores and my chin became bumpy and rash-like. After some trial and error, I put it down to Cleanance K and discontinued it. Sadly, the extra spots have cleared up but I can't undo the bumpiness on my chin. I'm gutted! I went back to my old cleanser (don't know why I left LUSH Dark Angels!) and saw immediate change as my spots healed and disappeared. Just wish that I could shift this gross feeling/look on my chin. If anything I am more paranoid about my skin than ever and have been completely put off of Avne products.

I am always looking for excellent creamy exfoliants and I thought I'd try this. The immediate feel is good (for some people it might burn a bit- that's either sensitive skin or just not being used to AHA/BHA products) and it smoothes over skin beautifully due to a few silicones in the ingredients. But almost as soon as I started to use it, I noticed that my skin began to react with little bumps and finally some very painful cyst-pimples (not quite cysts, but those painful pimples that stay under the skin in little blemish dots). I am going to stop using this, unfortunately. Still hunting for a good exfoliant.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

i'm using the new reforumlated version. (i did not try the old one so i can't compare them)
i only use it as a night treatment since it has several acids in it and i religiously apply something with an spf during the day because of those acids.
in the time i've used it (over half a year, i'm on my second tube), my pores are far less blocked and painful inflammations have stopped bothering me.
this does not dry out my skin at all, but i haven't noticed any moisturizing effect either so i have to use a moisturizer during winter when my skin gets dehydrated because of the cold.
it does sting slightly upon application, but only in the places where i have pimples. it does help heal existing ones, but only slightly. its biggest advantage, in my opinion, is that it prevents future ones from appearing.
i wouldn't call it mattifying, but this is no drawback for me since i use it only before i go to sleep.
the texture is somewhat dense, but creamy and not dry at all.
also, a little goes a long way. the first 40 ml tube lasted about 6 months, with daily application. i've just started using the second one this week.
i'm not sure how this would work for those with very sensitive skin since i wouldn't classify it as a very mild product. however, it hasn't made me break out and it hasn't caused any allergic reactions on my skin, which is only slightly sensitive

I've had a tube of this for about a year now (finally getting towards the end) and i use it as a spot treatment. I'm not a big fan of the texture - the gel-like formula feels a little silicone-y to me, which creeps me out. However, powering through that icky feeling does produce results. I usually leave it on at night when I feel a pimple is about to rear its head. I've found that for me it works best if i apply it after I've cleaned and toned but before moisturizer. I think it breaks me out if I put it on after it certainly seems to make the pimple worse. It is a really hard core product - I've heard of people on MUA putting it on their entire face which I would never be able to do - it stings like crap! At least if it stings when I put it on a pimple I know its working. Still, I've noticed that Avene's recently reformulated this product, so maybe it will be a bit more gentle. It's also a bit expensive but seems to last a long time for me, so I'll probably repurchase.

[EDIT] So they've gone and discontinued this, which SUCKS. This was one of the only decent (effective AND affordable) glycolic formulations I'd been able to find. The only thing I've been able to replace it with is the Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix overnight Clearing Gel, which is essentially the same thing (4% GA), but has a kind of nasty smell. And I'm not as confident in its efficacy as in the Avene. Super disappointed they did this. The rest of the Cleanance line is frankly average.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I bought this about 8 months ago to try and shift my blackheads and clogged pores. 8 months later and I still have blackheads and clogged pores - cleanance k has done nothing to help whatsoever! I just use it about twice a week now (I used to use it more but it aggravated my sensitive skin) as a chemical exfoliant. This gives my skin a nice 'glow' which is why I've given it 3 lippies, but I wouldn't rec it for someone who wanted rid of clogged pores etc - something with a higher % of AHAs and BHAs would help more.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

EDIT 4/6/2011:
I've taken 2 lippies off as I stopped using this last week after slowly upping my usage to every evening. The 'purging' has never cleared, in fact it got worse, and I seem completely unable to get rid of the spots and clogged pores this caused despite adding in a spot treatment and tailoring my blend of cleansing oils to accommodate my changing skin. I'm now back on mandelic acid every evening and a good moisturiser in the morning but it is making little difference, I've gone from almost clear skin with a few blocked pores to chin full of pimples and clogged pores all over my cheeks, nose and forehead all of which are proving impossible to shift.

Original review 2/11/2011:
Currently I'm in two minds regarding this product and it is likely a little unfair of me to review it already as I've only been using it for a couple of weeks but my skin is now in the worst condition it has ever been in. I suppose you would put it down to 'purging' (though I'm not sure that skin works in that way), my chin is now covered in bumps with the occasional whitehead making an appearance and I have the same bumps and a cluster of blackheads in the hollows of my cheekbones which I've never had before.
I used to use mandelic acid to clear my blackheads but in the UK you can only order it online from one company and I had hoped this would basically do the same job but be more accessible. I had been using this every morning and forgoing moisturiser until the evening but given the current condition of my skin I'll be switching my routine up a bit and using this every other evening, adding back in mandelic acid for the nights in between (to help lessen the breakouts) and using a good moisturiser in the mornings.

I don't hate this product - the consistency is nice, the smell not too bad and the tingle when you put it on is actually quite satisfying - I just hope the breakout is part of the process rather than the result, I shall stick with it a while longer and update this review as things change.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Okay, let me just say I had tried this product before and I was not super impressed but it worked well enough that I decided to try it again. I bought a new tube just over a month ago, and this time it said "new formula" on the package. New formula, indeed! The texture has been much improved. It is not as sticky as the old formula, nor does it flake so much after applying (I have successfully worn this during the day under liquid foundation, which is something I never would have attempted with the old formula). This new formula is definitely much more pleasant to use. It still has a bit of a scent. I wouldn't say it's bad...but it's not pretty or anything. It doesn't bother me though and it doesn't last for long. Because of the AHA/BHA, this product can sting a little bit once applied, but again, it doesn't last long and my skin has been building a tolerance for it.

Well, does it work? I have been using this product every night (more or less) for about a month now and I have definitely seen an improvement in my skin. My pores are smaller, my skin looks smoother, and my overall skintone is more even. I still get the occasional breakout but this seems to be keeping things at bay. I think it's working! Especially on my blackheads. This is pretty amazing, as nothing seems to get rid of them! I will keep using and update later :)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product is FAR from being cosmetically elegant. It is very tacky on my combination skin and was impossible to deal with when sleeping - kept sticking to my pillow. Anyhow, it DOES work, but for the cost and effort, I for one will use BHA and AHA products separately - until I find a product combines the two in a formulation that sinks into the skin. I currently rotate BHA, AHA and retinol on different nights and this regimen works best for me in keeping both acne and fine lines far far away :)