Avene Cleanance K [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by age: 30-35
Avene  Cleanance K [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

Avene Thermal Spring Water - Cyclomethicone - Water - Gylcolic Acid - Propylene Glycol - Glycerine - Polyacrylamide - Lactic Acid - Polymethyl Methacrylate - Sodium Hydroxide - C13-14 Isoparaffin - Disodium Phosphate - Bisabolol - Citric Acid - Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil - Dimethiconol - Disodium EDTA - Fragrance - Laureth-7 - Polysorbate 20 - Salicylic Acid - Zinc Gluconate

Background: NC20(ish), combination-oily skin that's becoming more sensitive & acne-prone as I age.

This year, due to either stress or hormonal changes (or both), my skin decided to freak out and sprouted breakouts left, right & center. My T-zone is clear but my cheeks and U-zone became quite problematic.

I've gone on a massive spending binge, trying to find products that will help my skin recover, mainly focusing on Asian Beauty products. However, I haven't found an AB-related acne-spot treatment that satisfied me. I chanced upon an AB blog that says spot-treating with AHA/BHAs work, so I dug up my old sample sized tube of Cleanance K I had in my stash from the Oily/Acne-Prone Trial Set I bought ages ago to try it again (I remember using it a couple of times but I didn't have enough patience & I wasn't moisturizing properly so I gave up quickly before I saw results).

And it works! It quickly exfoliates the skin which means the zits/bumps come to a head so much faster and I can slap on my Cosrx patches on top and they'll be flattened in no time. It has a sort of a vinegar-y/sour smell that might put off a lot of people, but I associate it with zit-killing powers so it's all good. Haha. I've since purchased a full-sized tube which I've been using for a couple of months now but I've barely made a dent on it since I only ever use it as a spot treatment at night.

Sadly, the shop where I buy it from has informed me last month that Avene is discontinuing this and they're pulling out the remaining stocks, and even offered to give me a free tube if I purchased one. The expiration dates of all remaining tubes were OCT 2017 & I don't think I can finish 2 & 3/4 tubes by then so I only got 1 tube as a backup. :( My skin has been getting clearer & I'm mostly dealing with PIH now, so I hope I won't have to miss this once I finish up my stash!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

GREAT for MILD to MODERATE acne and blemish-prone skin!It hydrates and exfoliates your skin.However,there may be a slight tingling sensation otherwise it feels great even for people like me with oily skin.My skin was SIGNIFICANTLY clearer after using it a few weeks.My blemishes became a lot lighter and pimples also decreased in size! HOWEVER,it may make your face appear a little shiny.Much better as compared to la roche posay effaclar k which made my feel oily as it doesn't get absorbed well into my skin.You should give this a try!!!

I would say this is far better than anything LRP or Bioderma had to offer. This is like a light lotion if you are suffering from breakouts and need a lotion treatment, i like to use this under makeup when i really need help. This dries down quickly and layers very well but doens't leave me dry like LRP efflclar range. I feel that its effective and keeps me matte. This can be used at night too under anything you like but usu at night i use a spot treatment. The only thing i don't like is its strong fragrance but I can over look that given its efficacy.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm using this just as a chemical exfoliant - not for acne purposes as my skin has cleared up after using PC's 2% BHA, and stayed that way and I continue to use it - but I like to use AHA's as they make my skin super smooth, more even and soft.

It does sting when applied - but so does pretty much any AHA that I've used. The smell is a bit off-putting but not strong enough to bother me. I have noticed positive changes, like softer skin when I wake up (I only use this at night) and my foundation or BB creams go on very easily as well as my skin has barely any clogged pores at this point. It also really helps if you have dull skin (like I did) with flakes, dry patches or dehydrated appearance. AHA's are also used to treat dry skin and I notice my skin is a lot less dry and more radiant when using AHA's. It has also helped to lighten some sun damage/freckles on my upper cheeks in addition to Vit C serum. It is a gel-lotion type consistency, easy to rub into skin but slightly sticky, and non-drying for me.

The price is reasonable - about $20 but I can also get Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion which gives me the same results for half the price and also in a larger bottle (177mL). so I'm not sure if I would repurchase this, but it is still a great option for most skin types/ages if you are looking for an AHA/exfoliating product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I used to have acne and sensitive in my 20s. Didn't do nothing with this... Finished a whole tube because... I was too cheap to throw it out. I learned my lesson. Just blardy throw them now next time.

My face is clear now but maybe it's cause of aging. I still have sensitive skin and Avene is a no no in every product except 1 or 2.

All in all, Avene is a crap brand (LOL), and only 1 or 2 of their products are alright while the rest just hurts most people's skin. Even my dermatologist has stopped recommending it.

Go for QV, ICM or any of those made for real sensitive skin and truly understand sensitive skin without all those paraben, mineral oil, high alcohol content, etc.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

First MUA review :) Specifically signed up to post a review about the avene cleanace range. Having pretty good skin all my life, imagine my dismay at suddenyl hitting 30 and breaking out!!!! My forehead filled up with whiteheads and every few days, I'd have new zits (red inflamed papules) on my forehead, hollows of my cheeks and chin. I blamed everything from my new bangs, hair products, change in my existing skincare ingredients, late nights etc....

Did some research and found out about adult acne, which is probably what I'm suffering from!! So having settled that, I went on down to find some acne products (new experience for me!!) The lady suggested the avene range, I was a bit skeptical at first but since there was a trial kit. I went for it. The set incldued small samples of avene soap free gel cleanser, thermal spring water,cleanace K, cleanace anti-shine regulating lotion and facial masks.

I figured, if it didn't work, then at least it wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket!!! Well, after 2 days, i went on back to buy the complete range in full size :) (I'd still leftovers from the sample set but I was completely impressed!!)

I have been using the whole range for 2 weeks so I'll write here about cleanance K

Visibly cleared up my skin overnight!!! And continuing to get better :) Whiteheads have diminished substantially after 1 week. Some people mentioned breakouts, well, I've had 3 new pimples form in the first week, which cleared after 2 days. (scars still visible tho)

I use cleanace K after gel cleanser and thermal spray. After that I use the cleanance lotion. I find that if I skip that, my face feels taut the next morning.

overal thumbs up for this product!!!!

EDIT : 1/3/12
Still loving this, but just hate that it flakes and balls up any bb/ss/fndtn I put on after this. Which the formulation can be improved, otherwise, if your acne is not too severe, then just use this at night.

EDIT : 20/3/12
This is only MO but if you have combo skin diff T/U zones, just a note tht this product may work differently on diff zones. Although this product is clearing my forehead whitehead tremendously, preventing very few new ones, on the other hand it may be causing breakout on my cheeks (not confirmed at this point). Also I find adjusting the dosage as my skin improves is yielding better results

Not a fan, broke me out in massive red swollen cysts, in areas I don't even experience breakouts, in just three days.

I'm not new to such treatments and I've had enough glycolic peels to know what purging looks like...so there must be something in this that my skin doesn't like!

Definitely would not buy this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my HG for acne treatment. I'm on my third tube now, and use this almost every night. I skip one or two days in a week, because sometimes it is drying my skin and I need to put more moisturiser like Clinique Moisture Surge. A bit sticky on my hand and the smell is awful. But overall, this is great for my stubborn acne, and help my oily skin not to be too oily during day. Will repurchase again and again...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've had adult acne for many years now and I rate this as one of the best topical treatments I have tried (and I've tried a lot). I get cystic acne on my chin - the kind that hurt and rarely come to a head. Now let me say, Cleanance K is not perfect. But no topical I've tried is! This tends to work best when I apply morning and night, AND when I'm also on a good birth control pill. Without the pill controlling my hormones internally, this is less effective. Right now, I am on BCP and I find Cleanance K really good, and an essential part of my skincare routine. At certain times of the month, I can see/feel acne forming underneath my skin. My skin gets slightly irritated, a little red. If I put this on, I can calm the inflammation within 24 hours, sometimes less. The pimples do not form. I will sometimes apply 3 times a day if I feel acne coming, with no problems. When I first started using this, my acne actually worsened. I'm pretty sure I experienced a purge, so do be warned. It improved in a couple of weeks. The ingredients include a blend of BHA and AHA but I don't find this too strong at all. It is probably the inclusion of Avene's famous thermal spring water which makes this feel very gentle and soothes my skin. I find Cleanance K quite good to wear under makeup also. It does help control oil a little, although not quite as well as its sister product - Avene Cleanance Anti Shine lotion. Great tube packaging - very practical and a little product goes a long way. Easy 5 lippies from me and I will be repurchasing.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

EDIT 4/6/2011:
I've taken 2 lippies off as I stopped using this last week after slowly upping my usage to every evening. The 'purging' has never cleared, in fact it got worse, and I seem completely unable to get rid of the spots and clogged pores this caused despite adding in a spot treatment and tailoring my blend of cleansing oils to accommodate my changing skin. I'm now back on mandelic acid every evening and a good moisturiser in the morning but it is making little difference, I've gone from almost clear skin with a few blocked pores to chin full of pimples and clogged pores all over my cheeks, nose and forehead all of which are proving impossible to shift.

Original review 2/11/2011:
Currently I'm in two minds regarding this product and it is likely a little unfair of me to review it already as I've only been using it for a couple of weeks but my skin is now in the worst condition it has ever been in. I suppose you would put it down to 'purging' (though I'm not sure that skin works in that way), my chin is now covered in bumps with the occasional whitehead making an appearance and I have the same bumps and a cluster of blackheads in the hollows of my cheekbones which I've never had before.
I used to use mandelic acid to clear my blackheads but in the UK you can only order it online from one company and I had hoped this would basically do the same job but be more accessible. I had been using this every morning and forgoing moisturiser until the evening but given the current condition of my skin I'll be switching my routine up a bit and using this every other evening, adding back in mandelic acid for the nights in between (to help lessen the breakouts) and using a good moisturiser in the mornings.

I don't hate this product - the consistency is nice, the smell not too bad and the tingle when you put it on is actually quite satisfying - I just hope the breakout is part of the process rather than the result, I shall stick with it a while longer and update this review as things change.