Shiseido Facial Cotton

4.7

on 5/5/2018 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I read many reviews on these cotton pads and to be honest, my experience is that their flaw is that they’re great ‘super soft lil squares’. I prefer the large oval/square quilted drugstore pads. I find these lil squares to be super absorbent, they soak up product, loosing their billowy-down thickness quickly into flat square sheet that barely gets half a face cleansed. Which leads to using 4-8+ squares per night not to mention micellar water product waste. Then, there’s the softness issue. Now I don’t have sensitive skin, but when I cleanse, I cleanse! I don’t ‘gently’ rub the micellar water soaked pad, in hopes that the pad picks up all debris and oils accumulated from the day on a gentle sweep. I am quite assertive in my performance to cleanse and get the days gunk out. For the record I don’t wear heavy full-on makeup during the day, more so on evenings out. But environmental exposures, facial oil/sweat and all day skincare needs to come off at the end of the day. The larger drug store quilted pads may not be super soft but get the job done at less the waste. And they’re not that rough on my face. To be frank, I use these Shisedo squares to remove my nail polish, I prefer them over cotton balls... lol

If I hadn't won a pkg of these in a gift basket, I would never have made the initial purchase due to price. But OMG these are the most incredible cotton squares for removing v long wear eye makeup. My lids are easily irritated and these are amazing. Well worth the price!

on 4/29/2018 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Fun fact: this facial cotton is popular in vaping circles - a friend told me this is because it's 100% organic and not processed with a particular chemical that you wouldn't want to inhale when the cotton soaks in the vape juice. OK done.

These pads are a godsend - these Shiseido ones, the layered ones from Cotton Labo, any Japanese face cottons really. They're so silky and durable and don't thread apart like some of the ones I've gotten from Walmart, and they retain so much of the product when I use these in lieu of a sheet mask. Normally I pair this with a toner or serum and have myself a relaxing night of pampering - these are so versatile that these should be in anyone's makeup cabinet.

on 4/26/2018 3:00:00 PM

I used to wonder what the hype was regarding the Shisedo Facial Cotton pads.....well I tried and now I know. These are super cushioned and soft on the skin. They are thicker than most facial cotton which means they hold more product and do not "shed" like other store brands do. I really do enjoy using these with my facial toners and essences. They make the skincare process a more elevated experience and since they hold more product you do not use as many cotton pads.

on 4/21/2018 7:58:00 PM

I'm guessing that people who claim they don't understand the hype about this product do not have sensitive skin. As I've become older my once combo (normal + oily) skin has changed to combo/dry and sensitive. I found myself not being able to use regular cotton pads anymore.

These are perfect, well maybe except for the price. As someone already mentioned, aside from using them to cleanse, they're also great for soaking up Korean/Japanese lotions - Cezanne and SKII are my fav - and using them instead of a sheet mask. I have repurchased these many times and will continue to do so.

I don't like the packaging but I always put my cotton pads into a jar anyway so it's not a problem.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I’m not sure what all they hype is about. I have been using the Quo cotton squares for a long time and they are so soft and plush, I love them. These... are double the price but not double the quality. They aren’t even as soft in my opinion. And what is up with not having a resealable closure on the packaging? I won’t splurge on them again. They are nice, but just not worth the price.

on 3/12/2018 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

These are truly as insanely soft as their reputation would have you believe. They also seem to require you to use less product so while they're absurdly expensive, they are value additive. As far as I know, the brand is not cruelty-free, so I took off a star and won't purchase, but on their own merit these really are fabulous. For the price the packaging could be a bit better - the wrappers remind me of Saltine sleeves.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

By far the best facial cotton money can buy. I use this with my micellar water and only need one to do my entire face, eye makeup included. It doesn’t tear, shred at all or leave behind any pieces or fibers. I moisten it with my micellar, do my eyes first (one eye per side) and then wipe the rest of my face. I also used it on my parent’s cat’s eye to clean away discharge after she had a very delicate cornea repair surgery because it is super soft and doesn’t fall apart when least expected.
This is definitly something I will not live without and I feel is worth the price... When I think about it, I’ve paid around $3 US for a tube of “premium” rounds and $4-5 for square pads and end up having to use a second one every time because the first one falls apart. Honestly I stopped using them on my face because I would have to rinse my face off to remove remanants. Not with these! My husband uses exfoliating rounds so I dip into his stash if I need something to dab on an astringent, and use the Shiseido cotton for anything that requires wiping.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but there are better cotton squares than these for a LOT less money, so not buying again. For many years I preferred Cotton Clouds to Shiseido cottons for both price and performance, but Clouds have been discontinued. However, CVS now sells its own branded Ultra Premium Cotton Squares (not the quilted ones, which are awful) that are nearly identical to Cotton Clouds. They are very inexpensive and they pull apart much more cleanly than Shiseido cottons for those times when you don't want to use them at full thickness. And they are just as soft.

While I'm at it, I want to add that I've also tried Muji's cotton squares and they are awful.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I never understood all the hoopla over this product until I broke down and tried it. Couldn't be *that* much different from a soft cotton round could it? And the expense! I feel like I wasted so many years with sub par cotton now - the Shiseido squares are incredibly soft and absorbent and can be pulled apart to double the amount with little to no change in efficacy.

Popular Face Skincare Products