Kose Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil

Kose Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil
Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil

4.4

Mineral Oil, Peg-8 Glyceryl Isostearate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Cyclomethicone, Water, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol ******Not sure what the above is...I think the ingredients should be: oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, mineral oil, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, triethyl hexanoine, cyclomethicone, orange oil, tocopherol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, glycerin, polyglyceryl-2 diisostearate, trilaureth-4 phosphate, water, phenoxyethanol

on 11/24/2017 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hate to bring the ratings down but this is not a good oil for acne prones. It's a thin oil and I felt like I needed several pumps to cover my face and it didn't completely remove my eye makeup. It doesn't rinse clean either. I'm guessing that's why it caused me to break out even though I washed it off with a traditional cleanser. I was hoping this would be a good alternate to DHC but it's not even close.

on 6/8/2017 1:26:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

PACKAGING: pump bottle, does have a refill pack which is very cheap & convenient to repurchase
SCENT: citrus-y at first, as you start to rub it in it does have a distinct smell that most petrolatum-based products have
TEXTURE: oily but not too thick
PERFORMANCE: works great to remove all makeup (base, eye, waterproof mascara...). Does foam up when in contact with water but not too much, leaves a residue on the skin

I've used 1 bottle & 1 refill pack of this and decided that it's time to move on. It leaves a residue on my skin and I never had the same experience using the Innisfree apple juicy cleansing oil, although that one stings my eyes. I could have picked other cleansing oils from Kose that's not as deep and heavy as this one but they don't remove eye makeup too well. Still good & cost effective for those with dry skin to try out.

on 7/9/2016 8:34:00 AM

I’ve tried quite a few cleansing oils (including Shu, Dermalogica, Mac, Fancl, Boscia, SKII, DHC) and Fancl was my favourite for years, closely followed by Boscia. I was looking to save some money & someone on the skincare board recommended this. It’s has a thinner texture than Fancl but it also leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. I think I prefer the thicker texture of Fancl but the price difference is significant and this is a minor issue considering that it removes makeup and sunscreen just as well and rinses clean the same way.

I should preface this by saying that this is the first cleansing oil I've tried. I've been aware of the increasingly popular two step cleansing routine for a while, but I was really resistant to it because it sounded so fussy - a pre-cleanser cleanser? But then it became clear to me that if I wear makeup every weekday, without a makeup remover my skin wasn't getting cleaned properly, and a lot of the liquid drugstore makeup removers end up being expensive (considering how quickly you go through a bottle) and drying.

Anyways, I checked out oil cleanser reviews on MUA before settling on the Kose Softymo Deep as having the best reviews for the price. I use it every evening on the days I've worn makeup, according to the instructions (apply it on dry skin before emulsifying with water and then rinsing), and then follow with a regular cleanser (most often Cerave Hydrating Cleanser).

For starters, this really does remove every bit of makeup. It's very satisfying to be able to use the same product all over your face, and although I was concerned at the beginning about using it around my eyes, I've never experienced a bit of stinging or discomfort.

I haven't been breaking out while using it, though I'd imagine that's a possibility if someone were to use this as their sole cleanser. I'm surprised that some people report experiencing dryness with this. My skin tends towards dryness, but it has improved, if anything, while using this cleanser. It feels much, much gentler on the skin and eyes than other makeup removers.

The value is one of the most appealing things. I've had this for a couple months now, and I anticipate the bottle lasting for 5 months give or take, using it maybe 5 or 6 times a week. Also, most western makeup removers need to be used with a cotton pad, which adds to the expense. With cleansing oil you don't need extra supplies.

Bottom line, I wish I began using an oil cleanser sooner. I now consider it an essential step in my routine. While I can't yet compare it to other oil cleansers, Kose Softymo Deep has really fit the bill for me for its effectiveness in removing makeup without drying or irritating my skin, and at a good price.

on 11/28/2015 3:46:00 PM

HALLELUJAH! Before this product I had used Garnier's cleansing oil and it had been a poor experience, clinging to my skin and not washing clean. Too many American brands are selling cleansing oils as a way to aid moisture to your skin while cleansing but my personal experience is that that's a bad idea, why would you want a product to hang around after washing off with water and possibly trapping bacteria and makeup underneath? (Just my opinion). However, this is exactly what I wanted from a cleansing oil. It is slippery enough that one pump can make do for my entire face, it easily softens up all of my makeup even my eye makeup that is waterproof. After adding water it emulsifies beautifully and washes away with almost no trace just by slashing water and not needing to be rubbed harshly. I would recommend using a mild foaming cleaner afterwards for the infamous 'double cleansing' method made popular by South Korean beauty gurus. You can find this for about $7-11 US depending where you buy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I REALLY wanted to like this b/c of Decadence's review, who also uses retinols like me (tho I use retin-a and Duac) and I too found the DHC CO too drying as well, but surprisingly enough, I found this Kosymo product even MORE drying than DHC deep cleansing oil! Also irritating. Maybe it was the fragrance (I'm starting to notice a pattern w/ me). My skin just felt irritated and more dry when using this. So if you're sensitive to fragrance or something, use this product with caution.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Softymo is a good substitute for DHC Cleansing Oil, which I like and have been using for years. They advertise you should do "Double Cleansing" which is oil first, then a soap on your face to remove makeup and other dirt. It works well. The oil takes off makeup better than soap does--you won't find that pinkish residue on your face towel if you do double cleansing. The cost of the DHC oil is a bit high even with loyalty discounts, so I tried Softymo. It smells a bit like orange because it has orange oil in it. It is a bit heavier in consistency on the face than the DHC, so if you are switching over, you'll notice it's not quite the same. It works the same, however. Takes off my eye makeup (mascara, shadow) perhaps even a touch better than DHC. I use DHC Washing Powder (usually) or their Mild Soap afterwards. Takes a bit more lather to remove all the oil. The price is far less and I got it onlne, because our nearest Japanese/Korean gigantic market is an hour away. The bottle is all in Japanese (and it's very cute looking for some reason) but you know what to do, even if you read no Japanese.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This cleanser is ok. It's a good deal for the amount of product you get. I usually get the orgins oil cleanser but I find that its drying my skin a bit and I use my oil cleanser as a double cleanse process. This removes the makeup and I follow up with either my cle de peau or my clarins shea cleanser. I find I have to rub my eyes more to remove my eye makeup and waterproof liner and mascara. Its ok. I am on the fence about repurchasing may try another oil cleanser.

on 11/22/2015 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Love this stuff.
I used to always use fancl MCO but it comes in such small bottles and can be quite expensive to always have to buy it.
This is a great replacement- gets rid of makeup (eye shadow with primer all gone!) and doesn't leave any residue. I use this on dry skin every evening before a shower, so makeup is all but gone by the time I use Purity cleanser. So I can't attest to how well it works on its own, but for my routine it's perfect.
Doesn't seem to make my skin any softer, but for the super cheap price (like 7$ or less plus huge refills) and it works.
Unless I come across a stash of cheap fancl or my income surges, I'll continue to buy this one.
So, asides Fancl, this is better than Josie Maran CO; Aesop CO; Shu Uemura; elemis melting cleansing gel (I'm sure I've tried heaps more, but can't recall them all now). Am yet to try DHC and Babor ones.
Probably the dermalogica precleanse is better than this, but for the price it's not worth it.
My skin is oily, acne prone and sensitive (extra sensitive owing to retin-a cream).

ALSO: This stuff is great at removing wax residue! After waxing, just massage some of this on and it gets rid of it :)

on 4/8/2015 7:18:00 PM

I've been using cleansing oils for years. I've used shu uemura (pink bottle) and DHC cleansing oil and decided to try this out since it was cheaper. Every time I use this it remove all my eyes and face makeup but it break me out :( so it's a no for me. I have sensitive combo skin, sadly it didn't work for me.