Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 5/20/2017 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm 49 with dry, sensitive skin and rosacea. I bought this product because I was looking for a gentle anti-aging product.

I've been using it for a few months and I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to do. It doesn't do anything for my skin. IDGI.

In other news, the scent of this product is what I call "Philosophy Scent." It's neither pleasant nor is it unpleasant. The gel consistency is tacky and takes forever to dry.

The good news is that it doesn't irritate my skin and makes it feel smooth. Other than that, there's no real reason for it to be in my house.

on 10/22/2016 2:35:00 PM

I bought this product at Sephora and was recommended it because my skin is quite dehydrated and acne-prone. After using this for a little while, I found no improvement. It didn't hydrate my skin and it smells so bad! Like decomposing leaves in the fall time, plus it is very sticky on the skin until you put moisturizer on top. I am going to be returning this product.

on 8/28/2016 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this serum because, as I get older (36), I look for product that firm. This serum won't break the bank, and it truly shows results. I use it under my Miracle Worker cream and my skin feels hydrated and youthful. Definitely going to repurchase!

This product is amazing!! I saw an immediate plumping effect after the first use. My lines were almost gone and my nasolabial folds were 10 x softer. This serum makes my skin so soft and dewy. My only complaint is that I feel like i'm always at a standstill with this serum. It does all it can do. It makes a dramatic difference on my skin at first but then stops working on the rest of my lines. My nasolabial folds and the line in between my eyebrows are completely reduced but I haven't seen a change in my crows feet or dark circles. Overall, I've seen the most improvement with this serum than any others and will continue to buy. Love.

on 6/3/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used this since the days of the Philosophy infomercials with Cristina Carlino -- I think about 13 - 15 years? This was the one product I ran out of before my 3-month shipment arrived. I have used Philosophy products exclusively in that period of time and am currently trying other drugstore products for the creams and eyecreams. However, this is one product I will continue to buy ( I get the 4 ounce size from QVC). I use it in the a.m. mixed with the Philosophy vitamin C powder (tried another C powder and it broke me out). I will be 62 in 2 months and am virtually line free. My neck is also line free and I can only attribute that to this product.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I like this at night and not daily. I haven't seen results yet. I advise not to apply under makeup. I don't know if I will repurchase because I think I prefer pure hyaluronic acid which works faster.

on 1/4/2016 10:01:00 AM

PROS
- gel like consistency that immediately sinks into your skin once rubbed in
- hydrates your dry, flaky and cracked skin like no other (I dare you to name another product that claims to restore the moisture balance in your skin)
- As a result, it softens and tightens your skin!!!
- Works especially better in conjunction with their Renewed Hope in a Jar moisturiser

CONS
- I personally find it very expensive ($55 AUD) for 30ml
- Smells a little funky (but it is something that I willing to ignore and it also helps that I only use this as a night serum rather than during the day)

Overall, I definitely recommend this serum to anyone with sensitive dehydrated/flaky/cracked skin! When applying to broken skin however, it will obviously sting but I do recommend moisturising the cracked areas with sensitive facial moisturiser of your choice on top just so it soothes and cools down the affected areas :)

on 4/10/2015 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ladies if you put this on under your makup first than put primer than this it will ball up like a mother on you I had to rewash my face to get it off......I will use up the bottle, but not buy any more, I need something that wont ball up under makeup, also I think this brand is more about hype and the whole cute packaging anyway, even the lady at ulta said that, I have tried a couple of other things that I took back, for some reason anything from this line gives me white bumps on my cheeks,

I will never buy this again, I sticking with y HG Peter Thomas Roth...

on 3/30/2015 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

it doesn't seem to do much. it's not particularly moisturizing and it's extremely sticky.

on 11/8/2014 9:42:00 PM

I have been using the philosophy vit C powder for a while and I've been itching to try some of their other products as well. After a facial gone wrong, I was desperate for anything to fix the army of zits that had popped up on my face and wandered into Ulta looking for the answer. Lo-and-behold, they had a little skincare kit on sale with the face wash, this serum, and the hope in a jar lotion for a pretty good bargain.

This serum is definitely the star of the show. It comes out of the little dropper like a gel, but gets pretty liquidy when applied to the face and sinks in instantly. I mix my vitamin c powder with this twice a day and my skin has transformed over the last week. All my crazy breakouts have turned into little flat marks that are fading, my skintone has evened, and my complexion just looks better in general.

However, the price tag is a bit steep and it smells like bottled raccoon piss... Given, I'm not a raccoon urine specialist and I've never actually smelled it, but there is some sort of funky pee smell going on. It seems to dissipate on the skin when applied, but still.

Popular Face Skincare Products