NARS Cosmetics Zen

ZenNARS zenNARS Zen

4.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I don't know that I would absolutely buy this again, but I'm leaning toward yes. The nice thing is that NARS blushes seem to last forever, so it's nice to know I won't need to buy it again soon! This for me serves as a nice light bronzer. I am NC20. What I like about this is that it is totally neutral, in my opinion. It isn't orange, doesn't have too much red, or too much gold - a rare find! The cost of this is less than desirable, at $26. I do feel, however, that NARS makes the nicest and most pigmented blushes. Many of them are far more shimmery/sparkly than I like, but still quite pigmented. I had to buy this at drugstore.com. They seem to only sell this at NARS, drugstore.com/beauty.com, and maybe at Nordstrom. They do not sell this shade at Sephora. I think you can find similar shades for much less money, but I couldn't vouch for them being as long lasting and richly pigmented.

This was my second Nars blush (the first being Orgasm of course). It is a matte tan-like blush that can double up as a bronzer.

I am NC20 and I normally wear it with nude or coffee coloured lipstick but you do need to have a light hand as it can look streaky, otherwise. Better suited for darker or tan skins, especially during summertime. Also good for contouring, if you can do that (I can't). It is nothing special ( I'd prefer the guerlain terracota bronzer for contouring, for example) but it has good lasting quality. I also hate the nars black packaging: for some reason it feels sticky.

on 1/27/2010 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hmmmmm. I love NARS blushes for their pigmentation and the fact that they are so finely milled, but I am very conscious of which shades I can and cannot wear. Because I have reddish tones in my skin, any red blushes are a big NO for me which means I can't wear Outlaw, Mounia, Taos, Dolce Vita and Exhibit A.

As neutral as Zen appears in the pan, it DOES have a rosy undertone to it. Some of you are saying orange, but if you swipe it with a white cotton ball, rub it on your skin, and see what color is left on the cotton, it's a rose color (great trick to know the undertone of a blush by the way). I tried it on anyway, but it's true that the color is too rosy for me, like a rosy bronzer.

If I didn't have red in my skin, I might like this blush. But as it is, it's not very flattering on me. I much prefer Madly, the most perfect neutral blush on earth for my skintone, which has a cool pink undertone but goes on more neutral than Zen (may not be good for all skintones however).

NOTE: It is so rosy, I can't imagine using it as a contour, regardless of skintone

So I will pass on this color.

I owe the mu board for the recommendation of this HG. I've perused the NARS blush selection many a time, and never even considered picking this up. Like all the other posters have said; it looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen on your face. Not so. THIS is why I now get all the hoopla surrounding these blushes. I was looking for something w/ no pink since I tend to flush easily and have the beginning of rosacea. Zen contours and gives me the nice healthy glow I haven't been able to find with other products. Couple it w/ a luminizer on the cheeks and you've got that dewy look all women strive for.
NW20/Black hair/Green eyes for reference.

Holy Grail
I must say this is my bronzer and contour go to for everyday. It's natural matte abilities brighten up my face but don't leave me nc15 complexion dirty or muddy. I LOVEEE THIISS

on 1/28/2008 1:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've used Zen for years when I've gotten the Skin Deep palettes(*weeps for SD!*),and I finally decided to go and buy a full sized one.
I agree with Daphers about the rosacea; I don't have it but I do have a ruddy Irish complexion and rose/pink in a blush is not always flattering,and if you have light skin this works well as a bronzer/cheek sculpter.It is matte but a bit of highlighter will give it a nice sheen if that's what you're looking for.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great product, but too warm for me. Consequently, Zen was returned, and will not be a repurchase... but I will continue to purchase NARS blushes.

on 1/26/2006 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Ok gals, this is my 2nd(!) review of Zen blush but I just couldn't help myself. This is without a doubt, the staple of my makeup wardrobe. It is my DESERT ISLAND PRODUCT. I love it so much, I wonder what I did without it. What blush did I use? A garish pink maybe? Something vulgar and glittery? I don't know, but the point it is that for a long time I was on the hunt for a 'no makeup-makeup' blush to go with my 'no makeup makeup look' (making amends for high school I guess). I was also inspired by Angelina Jolie, who, if you'll notice, always puts the emphasis on the eyes, with a nude lip and clean (read: almost blushfree, or so it would seem) skin. Zen is perfect for this look, it takes a backseat and lets your other features shine. However, it's not Nico, it's not nothing...rather it is a subtle enhancer that warms up your skin in a muted kind of way. I especially recommend it for girls like me, who are midtoned and olive, with a tendency towards sallowness. Zen brightens up your skin and gives you a look of health. And when I say 'health', I mean 'health', not china doll, hooker or Diana Vreeland. No, if you want to look ROUGED, Zen is not for you. But it is a amazing, it is a godsend....it is the minimalists answer to BLUSH.

P.S.- If you don't have NARS near you, the only thing that I've seen that's comparable is MAC Strada, but it's more opaque (it kind of visibly sits on the skin) has a bit of gold in it, and some shimmer.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Zen is the perfect natural blush for me, particularly when I want my eyes to do the talking. NC25, neutral/warm, green eyed brunette.

Another NARS surprise for me-- Zen looked like just another dusty beige blush that would wash me out. NOT! Looks can deceive. When I brush this on, the color comes up a pinky/apricoty beige-- not like the dirty brown it appears to be in the pan. I love it. Especially with a pop of bright red or pink on top (Outlaw, KA's Shadore). Love it, love it, love it.

Popular Blush Products