NARS Cosmetics Zen

ZenNARS zenNARS Zen

4.6

on 10/30/2011 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Matte suntan brown with orangey subtle undertones. I prefer it over MAC Blunt which had reddish undertones and looked unflattering on my golden undertones skin. Zen adds warmth and makes me look like I just spent the day at the beach. Like a naturally tanned look. I use Too Faceds flatbuki and just sweep a bit onto my cheeks. It's such an easy blush to pull off everyday for a healthy sunkissed look minus the icky sparkle and muddy look most bronzers have.

on 7/14/2010 9:03:00 PM

Did not work on me. I used it primarily in the winter as a contouring agent, and after a while, I realized that it made me look muddy and dirty. Got Sertao next, which isn't bad, but doesn't give the contouring I was hoping for. (It's a little too tawny, and tends to turn orange on my light-medium yellow-undertoned skin.) Anyway, if Zen doesn't work for you, try Madly--it's perfect!

on 11/14/2008 12:57:00 AM

Zen is an instant HG product for me (NW15/20). I don't use this as an apple-of-the-cheeks blush, but more as a contouring color, and in that regard, I could not ask for anything better.

The matte, deep nude shade blends perfectly on into my pale complexion (though in the pan, it looks as if it would be too dark). It's just so natural looking, and best of all, it's never dirty or streaky in appearance.

I use my MAC 168 to apply (with 188 for extra blending if necessary). The result is beautiful.

This product is a staple that I never want to be without.

on 10/4/2008 7:57:00 AM

Me: n/d, 41. Nars Sin or Lancome Cedar Rose are my favorite blushes. Pros: excellent, densely pigmented blush. A 187 is excellent for most NARS blush application and Zen is no exception. Reads as a peach nude on my pale olive (C2/NC15) complexion and has the added advantage of minimizing some light sun damage I have on my cheeks. Matte, so very appropriate for work. Can also mimic a bronzer without making my pale skin look dirty. Dense texture also means that you can apply quickly without shooting a shower of blush particles all over your bathroom vanity counter (I love mmu blush but it can make a serious mess!). Packaging: NARS minimalist black. I own a lot of NARS (favorite line) and don't mind that the shadows and blushes are similarly packaged- space in a kit/makeup bag is definitely minimized. Price: moderate to expensive. Cost per wear will probably be very minimal. I have a Sin blush that's over a year old and it shows very little wear. Cons: This is a nude blush and takes a bit of getting used to if you're looking for brightness on your skin-- I've actually wiped this one off and put on Cedar Rose (similar texture from Lancome, but with a dusty rose undertone) on days that I'm feeling really pale. I've also had the experience of having a bit more trouble blending the matte formulas of NARS blushes-- probably because I generally apply over very dewy moisturizer/sunscreen.

on 3/21/2008 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I am very fair with cool, pink coloring and this nude blush actually works for me. I didn't think it would, that it would be too warm for my skintone. But it does works for me AND looks good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Zen has no shimmer and is wonderfully pigmented. A great blush!

on 2/1/2008 10:19:00 AM

I needed a blush to use as a contour powder and I thought this would look better than bronzers being more neutral. It does not. It looks muddy on my pale cool toned skin. I have later found better products for this purpose: Cargo Molokai, Sue Devitt Tralee, Shu Uemura M amber 85.

on 12/4/2007 8:36:00 AM

Looking at this, you'd think Francois Nars had lost it. Why would the man who made Orgasm make this brown stuff? Try it -- you'll be pleasantly surprised. A little definition, a little glow without glimmer or glitter. Good stuff. I will say that this is the only Nars product I've ever had that has broken in the pan, more than once.

on 8/27/2007 11:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I completely agree with lisa_67 in her review below. I avoided buying this for at least a year and a half, purchasing every other beige/nude blush I could get my hands on. I was convinced that Zen would be too brown and warm (and thus muddy) on my NW 15-20 skin (red hair, blue eyes). It looks darker in the pan than it applies on the skin; it's subtle but still provides some "oomph" (more than Shu P Amber 83 and about the same as LM Crushed Hazelnut). I apply this in layers with a skunk brush (MAC 187). Staying power is superior. I still love LM Crushed Hazelnut, but this is a slightly different look, which is why I'm keeping--and using--both. I have a lot of pink in my skin and this helps add structure and glow to my face without looking ruddy. Very, very nice, and recommended.

on 4/22/2007 11:21:00 PM

I was a bit worried about the shade of this blush when it first arrived in my Sephora shipment. When I'd comparison-viewed it on several online retail sites, it looked slightly more pink; when I actually opened the compact, it was very beige. On my NW-20 skin, I was afraid that it would be too dull and brown. I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find that it gave me a nice, natural glow...sort of like a light bronzer for us paler girls (red hair, blue eyes). If you're fair, and are really going after this season's natural/nude look, I would highly recommend Zen. It's going to be a staple for me during the warm weather season ahead!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

ZEN is a MUST HAVE for me. I have never used it alone as a blush. Instead I use it for contouring by applying it slightly under the cheekbones and at the temples, and then sweeping a pink blush on the cheekbone. It gives my face dimension and a very refined look. I've never come across a shade that is so perfect for contouring - most have too much pink or orange in them. I've also used Zen in place of a bronzer by sweeping it on the cheekbones and temples. I have NC20/yellowish skin but it seems like it would work on a wide variety of skin tones.

Popular Blush Products