NARS Cosmetics Zen

NARS Cosmetics Zen
ZenNARS zenNARS Zen

4.4

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I LOVE!!!! this blush. I use it for my contouring shade as well as a blush/bronzer. It is absolutely gorgeous!!! It is a matte finish. It doesn't have a bit of any orange in it. It's a true matte medium brown. If I want a heavy contour, I do use a couple of more swatches than I would normally do compared to my bronzing where I only swatch it a few times.

Just so I don't confuse anyone, contouring and bronzing are completely different in my opinion. When you contour, you go for a sharper look to your face..sculpting it and shaping it to your liking...when you bronze, you're going for more a subtle tanned bronzed look to your cheeks...(right above the contour line). Hope this helps.

Anyway back to the product..I love this Zen shade because you can achieve so many looks with just one shade...contour..bronzing..blush..I mean that in itself saves you $$$. Absolutely wonderful color for any season. Def going to buy backups of this just in case NARS has an inkling of discontinuing this beauty.

on 4/26/2013 12:33:00 AM

Love this blush. I was introduced to it by a Nars consultant, saying that it is a great bronzer substitute for my skin tone (olive) and I have been totally hooked since. I use it every day for a natural look, but it's also a great base for gentle sculpting, with a touch of more vibrant blush for the evening.

on 7/14/2010 9:03:00 PM

Did not work on me. I used it primarily in the winter as a contouring agent, and after a while, I realized that it made me look muddy and dirty. Got Sertao next, which isn't bad, but doesn't give the contouring I was hoping for. (It's a little too tawny, and tends to turn orange on my light-medium yellow-undertoned skin.) Anyway, if Zen doesn't work for you, try Madly--it's perfect!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This blush is a great neutral bronze color for a summery glow. Look great on nc30 skin

on 1/27/2010 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hmmmmm. I love NARS blushes for their pigmentation and the fact that they are so finely milled, but I am very conscious of which shades I can and cannot wear. Because I have reddish tones in my skin, any red blushes are a big NO for me which means I can't wear Outlaw, Mounia, Taos, Dolce Vita and Exhibit A.

As neutral as Zen appears in the pan, it DOES have a rosy undertone to it. Some of you are saying orange, but if you swipe it with a white cotton ball, rub it on your skin, and see what color is left on the cotton, it's a rose color (great trick to know the undertone of a blush by the way). I tried it on anyway, but it's true that the color is too rosy for me, like a rosy bronzer.

If I didn't have red in my skin, I might like this blush. But as it is, it's not very flattering on me. I much prefer Madly, the most perfect neutral blush on earth for my skintone, which has a cool pink undertone but goes on more neutral than Zen (may not be good for all skintones however).

NOTE: It is so rosy, I can't imagine using it as a contour, regardless of skintone

So I will pass on this color.

on 12/25/2009 9:37:00 AM

I bought this for contouring but it turns the oddest color on my skin. I can't even explain the color really. It doesn't work at all for contouring but it doesn't work for blush either as it's sort of muddy and dirty looking. I love NARS blush but I just can't make this one work for me. It is a very nice, neutral matte blush for many it seems so it's worth a try. I guess Madly is next up for me. Maybe that will work better for me than this one did.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've finally found the perfect HG blush/contour for my olive NC30/35 skin. I'm more of a bronzer/contour type of gal as opposed to a blush fan so this just fits the bill when I want that everyday mediterranean, summer glow in the middle of winter. Shows up beautifully on my skin. This goes perfectly with Ninotchka for contouring or using Orgasm on the apples of my cheeks after using this as a contour.
Then again, I tend to go for the minimalist/neutral look often so this explains why I love Zen so much..

on 12/19/2008 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love NARS blushes -- Zen is my go-to everyday contour color. Really pretty - not muddy at all! Great staying power. I'm NC30

on 11/14/2008 12:57:00 AM

Zen is an instant HG product for me (NW15/20). I don't use this as an apple-of-the-cheeks blush, but more as a contouring color, and in that regard, I could not ask for anything better.

The matte, deep nude shade blends perfectly on into my pale complexion (though in the pan, it looks as if it would be too dark). It's just so natural looking, and best of all, it's never dirty or streaky in appearance.

I use my MAC 168 to apply (with 188 for extra blending if necessary). The result is beautiful.

This product is a staple that I never want to be without.

on 10/4/2008 7:57:00 AM

Me: n/d, 41. Nars Sin or Lancome Cedar Rose are my favorite blushes. Pros: excellent, densely pigmented blush. A 187 is excellent for most NARS blush application and Zen is no exception. Reads as a peach nude on my pale olive (C2/NC15) complexion and has the added advantage of minimizing some light sun damage I have on my cheeks. Matte, so very appropriate for work. Can also mimic a bronzer without making my pale skin look dirty. Dense texture also means that you can apply quickly without shooting a shower of blush particles all over your bathroom vanity counter (I love mmu blush but it can make a serious mess!). Packaging: NARS minimalist black. I own a lot of NARS (favorite line) and don't mind that the shadows and blushes are similarly packaged- space in a kit/makeup bag is definitely minimized. Price: moderate to expensive. Cost per wear will probably be very minimal. I have a Sin blush that's over a year old and it shows very little wear. Cons: This is a nude blush and takes a bit of getting used to if you're looking for brightness on your skin-- I've actually wiped this one off and put on Cedar Rose (similar texture from Lancome, but with a dusty rose undertone) on days that I'm feeling really pale. I've also had the experience of having a bit more trouble blending the matte formulas of NARS blushes-- probably because I generally apply over very dewy moisturizer/sunscreen.

Popular Blush Products