Coty Muguet des Bois

No Image

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Muguet Des Bois is delightful! Unfortunately, Coty discontinued this gem (which smells remarkably modern and fresh) but it's available on eBay in cologne and bath oil versions. The juice varies in color from lime green (cologne) to almost a bluish green (bath oil). Avoid bottles in which the liquid has turned yellow or brown, as this indicates oxidation.

This was one of my favorites in the '80s. I was into making "statements" in high school, usually through clothes and accessories with a vintage, boho, or avant-garde vibe. I collected perfumes and yeah, I indulged in some of the heavy-hitters of the day like Oscar and Poison. However, when I couldn't stomach a giant floriental, Muguet was always welcome to my nose and blended well with whatever vibe I was trying to project that day. It's simple, natural, green, and fresh. It smells exactly like fresh lilies-of-the-valley, down to the green stem. Suitable for any age, any time. Sexy in its simplicity.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I have been wanting Diorissimo this is a great doppleganger. I've read that Dior has changed the formula so I'm not sure if I'd recognize it. Muguet des Bois is light and easy to wear. I think it will be a great summer fragrance. And it's less than $20 US!

When I was young and silly in the early-mid nineties, I prowled the drugstores on my wedding day, in jeans and tiara and veil to find Muguet des Bois, without success. I ended up wearing Oscar to go down the aisle the first time. I did not stop looking for this scent for a few years, but then my tastes evolved away from scents such as this. Lately it's been on my mind and I had the opportunity to get a bottle recently. It arrived yesterday (clear, vertically-ribbed vase-shaped bottle, light green juice, aqua blue label on bottle's neck, spiky plastic cap) and the label proclaims that it's still made by Coty..... but it just isn't quite the same. That isn't to say it's not similar, because at first sniff, it is - but to me it lacks the depth that I remember it having in the past, or something I can't quite define. It smells like an empty shell of itself, all top and no bottom. I'll save this one for work maybe. I will not buy this version again, but I would be all over a vintage bottle.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Somehow a small parfum spray, likely 1980s, appeared on my desk. No cap, dark color, a certain victim of oxidation. I expected the worst...but, despite this, it manages to be absolutely delightful! The alcohol takes a minute or so to blow off, and there is certainly a "boozy" quality thanks to the oxidation, but I still enjoy this deep rosy lily on a velvet background of green woods. I give this bottle in particular a 3 or 4/10, and I am still managing to enjoy it, so now I'm on the hunt for other vintages in better condition.

on 10/1/2011 10:31:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Happiness in a bottle. It's bright and feminine. Doesn't last long but it's cheap so you can bathe in it. Not an overpowering floral at all. I love to layer it with just about anything.

on 3/29/2012 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: aldehydes, orange, green leaves and bergamot
Middle notes: cyclamen, lilac, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose
Base notes: sandalwood and musk

This is a review, mostly, of the vintage EdT, but also layered with a touch of the vintage Parfum Extrait.
The jus is supposed to be a yellow/green color.
The vintage splash bottles I have are bell-shaped with a blue cap. I am sure many many vintage versions of this fragrance are floating around.
Anyway, what is going on here? Well, MdB opens on a strong bitter/ green note, with lilac and bergamot, which may take you through WWII era romance. You could find yourself sitting under a tree in a forest, near a lily of the valley patch, wearing a ton of hairspray. This may not be your cup of muguet. Maybe not yet at least.
But, if you give it 20 minutes or so, you will start to get the Bois of MdB, along with some rose, more sandalwood, and more soapy lily. It's very nice. What it is NOT, is a sparkly, silvery or sheer Muguet. This is what I would call a wartime floral, similar to Caron's Muguet de Bonheur, but more with more woods. MdB has enough heft to withstand some times of hardship and desperation. It does transcend them.

I had worn this 2-3 times, but it wasn't until I decanted some out of the enormous, bell-shaped 4 oz EdT splash bottle into a little atomizer that I could experience some of the many other notes listed.

on 1/27/2008 4:23:00 PM

Very pretty and pure lily of the valley. LOTV is the ultimate springtime, youthful feminine scent. Think girls in crisp white dresses, sandals, and streaming hair ribbons. The whole bit. It's also another one of my mood lifting, happy scents. I need as many of those as I can get, so I really hope this isn't going to be taken off the market forever. I find that this doesn't last long on me, even when I wear it in summer, but I don't mind spritzing often. MdB is wonderfully inexpensive. Buy one if you see it; it's worth every penny.

I have been searching for a wearable LOTV for quite a while and am at peace now that I got my mitts on MdB. I tried several more expensive muguets and just wasn't getting the delicate little blossoms I adored at all. This one is dead on and the truest to the real thing I have found. One spritz works for 4-5 hours which is just fine with me considering the cost-dirt cheap!! Now that spring is here, I like to alternate between this and Jasmal and I get equal compliments on both. Thanks to the ladies on the frag board for showing me the way to this!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Muguet des Bois is the exact reason why I enjoy certain flower scents as soliflores. This LOV is uncomplicated, elegant and beautiful. It is the promise of spring and renewal. This is pure aromatherapy for me. I truly hope it hasn't been d/c, however, it is easily found online and at a low price. Lovely!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I heard so many good things about this. I guess I didn't know what lily of the valley smelled like. B/c to me is just smelled like freshly cut grass. And not in a good way. Putting it up on Ebay...!

Popular Fragrances