Clinique Colour Surge Bare Brilliance - Poppy Shine

No Image

4.8

on 4/9/2009 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of very few products in my very large makeup arsenal that I have actually used up and rebought. It is a very glossy coral color that is simply awesome on my NC20/25 skin. The formula is so creamy and doesn't dry out lips in the least. It is one of my go to colors for spring and summer. I think Clinique discontinued this, so I'm really glad I bought a backup. If you can find it, definitely try it out.

on 3/10/2009 8:21:00 PM

With 15 reviews, a 4.7 rating, and 100% buy-again rating, this product is clearly awesome. I don't know what was going through the Clinique executives' heads when they decided to discontinue this line. This is such a great range of lipsticks, and Poppy Shine simply is the best color. I've been looking for this shade for a long, long time; the closest I found was Trish McEvoy's Sheer Sunpetal, which is way more bronzy. As a pale, freckled blonde with highly-pigmented lips, I have a tough time finding lipsticks. This is a gorgeous coral shade, very orange in the stick, but as the reviewer below noted, much more cool-toned pink when applied to the lips. The tube is beautiful (looks like silver bamboo) and the product doesn't have the icky lipstick smell of many other lines. This is sheer with the tiniest bit of shimmer, so it doesn't look frosty at all. This is the perfect spring/summer shade when paired with tinted moisturizer, bronzer, and a simple eye for a pulled-together weekend look. I recently found this at the Cosmetics Company Outlet and bought 3 tubes @ $10 each. I'm hoping to find some more at Duty Free next time I travel.

I am so bummed they are not making this lipstick anymore! I got a sample of this in a really pretty pink color that became my go to lipstick, and then I lost it, and bought this one from Sephora (which still has some of the line) in its place. After reading all the reviews I was prepared for a shocking color, and wow, they don't lie. But I've been wearing it all day, and it really grows on you. It's not nearly as orange as it looks in the tube, and it's got way more pink in it than you would expect. I don't know that it would be great on super super pale skin, but I'm pretty fair and I like it just fine. I think in the summer it will look nice when I have a little more color in my face, maybe with a touch of bronzer. Overall, I don't know why on earth they would discontinue it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is such a pretty lipstick! I love it! I was very cautious when I tried it but decided to still try it. I wore it for a day and just couldn't stop looking at it over and over. It looked so good! The next time, I went searching for it and finally found it, buying it. The color in the tube looks just awful, so orangish. When I first tried on it, I didn't like it since I put too much on but if you wear it more sheer-like, it's just so pretty. I love it so much! It's shimmery without being too much and enough color to satisfy me. ^_^

on 8/20/2007 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love it! I'm glad it doesn't come up the actual color it is in the tube! But it does come off shimmery and will make any lips look fabulous! This is a good color for the summer going to the beach or whatever. It's really cute!

on 5/29/2007 9:32:00 PM

i just bought this the other day and i really like it. i love this line of lipstick. i wish they made them in more colors. i think i have almost all of them. the poppy shine does look very very bright in the tube, but on your lips it is beautifully deceiving. the perfect summer pick me up.

on 7/6/2006 12:11:00 PM

I have to add another rave for this gorgeous lipstick! The color is great for summer when you just need a little something to brighten up your face. It's a slightly shimmery coral with a hint of red to make it sexy. The texture is great - moisturizing and smooth. I actually prefer the CSBB l/s over the much-hyped Butter Shines - these last longer, the color selection is better, and they're not as glossy. For your reference, I am a neutral LLL (MAC NW20ish) with dark brown hair and eyes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I LOVE this. I've been looking for the perfect sheer coral lipstick and this is it. It looks scary and clownish in the tube, but it applies a glossy, sheer, slightly reddish coral. It lights up my face and brings out my green eyes. You can't go wrong with this one.

on 5/15/2006 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have seriously been looking for this color lippie FOREVER. It is the perfect coral shade on me. In the tube it looks very bright orange, however on my lips it turns more pink. I am medium/tan with yellow undertones. The lipstick is sheer, never drying, and the color pay off is great. I have declared this my summer lipstick shade.

Beautiful! As other reviewers have said, it looks scary and orange in the tube, but goes on sheer and almost pinkish-coral. I actually think most Clinique lipsticks have some pink in them, even when they look orange. (This is why Clinique lipsticks don't always suit me.) That said, I love Clinique lipsticks because they don't have any fragrance or odd taste like Lancome, Chanel, or L'Oreal lipsticks.

EDIT: I actually think I prefer the new Butter Shine in Poppy ____ (can't remember the last word). It has much less pink and is a little friendlier to us warmer-toned girls. Next time, I'll buy the Butter Shine (if it's still around).

Popular Lipsticks