3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

9 years ago

I bought this bar soap by accident and used it only as detergient to handwash underwears. It is perfect for this purpose. Most of all, it is dirty cheap (I got 10 with 2 bucks when it was on sale). I used it as body wash after I read the reviews here and didn't like it. However, I would love to repurchase it only as detergient. And I would like to try it as dish-detergient :)

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination

HairBlack

EyesBrown

1.0

9 years ago

SO SO drying, always. why is this formula so awful? why!? in 2010, couldn't a powerhouse company like this afford to improve their formula? terrible

About reviewer (408 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

10 years ago

The Ivory website has some great tips: http://www.ivory.com/ivorytipsforhome.htm and when you microwave Ivory Soap it turns into a soufflé like consistency rather than melting. This is a video with written instructions: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000053 Ingredients Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance It claims to be 99.4% "pure", I'm assuming "pure" means natural. *Ivory soap is not vegan* Sodium tallowate is derived from beef fat

About reviewer (108 reviews)

Age

SkinNormal, Olive, Neutral

HairBlack, Curly, Medium

EyesBlack

3.0

10 years ago

This can dry my skin out, however a simple lotion or moisturizer could fix that problem. As for cleaning power, Ivory Soap cleans me off rather well. Would I repurchase again? Yes, but in all honesty I would rather have Dove or a body wash.

About reviewer (147 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair, Cool

HairOther, Straight, Fine

3.0

10 years ago

Ivory soap is soooo drying and completely strips my skin of all moisture. However, it's good for a few things: *exfoliating - I like that it has no moisturizing properties at all because this makes it good for exfoliating and stripping everything off of your skin(including some of your skin). *stain removal - this soap will remove stains like no other soap. I've had white clothing that had blood stains in it for years. I used Ivory soap to get the stain out by 1)wetting the garment and scrubbing the area really well with Ivory soap 2)rinse and repeat but leave the soap to sit on the stain area for an hour or so 3)rinse and if the stain is still there than repeat the process. It worked on stains that bleach and Tide stain remover couldn't remove. I also love the scent of this, I just wish it lasted out of the shower. But since I have to use lotion afterwards it gets overpowered by lotion smell. :-( But every once in a while I use it anyway. I put that I would repurchase because I do repurchase occasionally, but don't use it consistantly.

About reviewer (327 reviews)

Age

SkinCombination, Tan, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBlack

10 years ago

The perfect basic soap. So cheap. Doesn't dry out your skin or leave a film. And it floats :)

About reviewer (69 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

10 years ago

I absolutely love this soap! I use this every day in the shower. I do not, however, use this on my face (never thought to). I recently spent the weekend with my special friend and he had this in his apartment because he knew how I wash with nothing but this. Wasn't that sweet of him? The main reason why I started using nothing but Ivory in college was that it was the only soap that did not irritate that special place and still rinsed clean. I never felt like Dove rinsed clean from my skin. I do not like moisturizing things to cleanse with. Even if I use a body wash for some reason I alwasy wash that place with this. Well done, Ivory. You have a life-long follower here.

About reviewer (623 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Dark, Warm

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesBrown

10 years ago

Love love love Ivory soap!! It is the only soap I can use without breaking out! I use it on my body and my face and it is perfect if you have very sensitive skin. I agree with the previous reviewer in that it tends to be a bit drying in the winter (especially if you have well-water), but nothing a little extra moisturizer can't fix. Seriously I cannot use any soap other than this one. Dove, plain glycerine soap, and even special sensitive skin soap brands screw up my skin. But not Ivory!! I never get a rash or reaction to it and I love it as a low-maintenance facial cleanser. It it basic, dependable, light smelling, cheap (you can buy it in bulk) and I just love it! The best soap out there!

About reviewer (15 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

10 years ago

I am a soap fiend. Seriously, there are usually between four and six different kinds of soap in my shower at any given time. But this one is ALWAYS there. I love this soap. I use it daily, face and body, and I have never been disappointed. It's inexpensive, high quality, works well, and doesn't cause me to break out or prompt an allergic reaction on my ridiculously sensitive skin. During the driest part of winter (and I live in the desert, so winter is DRY, no joke), it can be a bit drying, but I just slather on a bit of extra moisturizer.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

10 years ago

This product has ended my search for a product to clean my face. I decided to buy a pack of this, $1.07 at Wal-Mart, figured even if I hated it, so what. I am so glad I did, and I wish I would have tried it sooner. My face is really sensitive. I use Retin-A, which I think is a big contributor to this problem, but if I try to stop using it, my skin breaks out so badly.The two cleansers that have irritated my skin the least were Aveeno Ultra Calming foaming cleanser and Purpose Liquid. But neither was perfect, and I still had dryness with them sometimes. The Ivory is amazingly perfect for me. I get not one bit of dryness with it, my face feels clean and soft and free of irritation. No flaking. My skin's appearance has improved greatly in the week I have been using it. It works great for using on the whole body too, but I kind of like the indulgence of Philosophy shower gels. One other thing I would like to note: I think with soaps, cleansers, shampoos and shower gels, part of the reason there are such wildly different opinions (i.e. "it leaves a film", "it dries my skin out", "cleans great", "cleans like crap") is the water in a persons house. If you have naturally soft water or use a water softener, your results can be quite different that someone who has hard water. I really notice this when visiting my sister. We have hard water here, she uses a water softener. The same shampoos and soaps I use daily perform really differently there. Just wanted to share some food for thought.

About reviewer (501 reviews)

Age44-55