Nanette Lepore

Nanette Lepore

3.9

on 7/11/2016 9:38:00 PM

Well, well, well, every once in a while life will just hand out, gratis, the solution to an old mystery.

Decades ago, in a high school in a small town in Minnesota with a famous medical center, there was a young jewish woman who played the lead in several theatre productions. We were a town of predominantly blond/ginger nordic people with a hunk of irish and a secret undercurrent of native americans. There were always the one or two black families, the five or nine India/Pakistan families, a few asian people, all brought in by the medical facility. And there was a small number of jewish people, not really known or understood as such unless it was time to do the report on a religion required in a mainstream high school class. Then you scrambled to find Buddhists, Jewish people, Hindus, etc. and because there was a world famous medical facility, you could find them. But it was always kind of a surprise. I know, I'm explaining this badly, but Diane and Susan were just Diane and Susan, not jewish, and Raj was just Raj, not Hindu, or even particularly Indian. And pretty much no one admitted to being native american.

In this mix was me -- very yellow skinned, very dark haired, very dark brown eyed - the genre known as "Black Irish," which is to say ladies love a sailor, and Ireland is an island with many shores.

So Susan, who was jewish, was probably more exotic than I in strict terms, but she was not nearly as dark, not nearly as yellow, and much more popular and mainstream. She was smart, reserved, definitely had her eye far past the local venues, and she had a lovely, generous, very jewish family. Her mom was warm, kind, and much given to kvelling, especially young people. And Susan wore perfume. A soft, warm, spicy, musky scent, not so much floral as powder/spice, not expensive exactly but not cheap. It was, it turns out, Faberge's Tigress, the one with the fake orange and black fur on the cap. And she wore a generous, high-school girl's veil of it. I remember being impressed by her choice, not sure if I liked it at first but coming to enjoy it on it's own powdery, sophisticated terms. She wore it, and there was no one else in that high school who'd have even thought of it.

Years later I chased down a few bottles of Tigress, especially when it was a cult fragrance, but it was always faded and nothing had that warm, powdery, sweet, spicy cloud effect.

Then a few years ago when I came into the boathouse one morning, there was a woman already there and she was trailing clouds, kind of noxiously large clouds, of a spicy, soft, powdery, sweet fragrance. I remember she was typical Pacific Northwest buttoned down, and I thought if she realized how much sillage she was throwing off she'd be mortified.

Fast forward. This afternoon I received an ounce of Nanette Lepore's signature fragrance (the one in the soft pink bottle, not "Nanette," which comes in a clear glass bottle). Right out of the bottle it was nice, rose-y, powdery, and reminded me a little of Lulu Guiness' Life is a Bed of Roses. But as the drydown progressed, someone from those decades past, a beautiful and oddly sophisticated high school girl, and then the Pacific Northwest rower enveloped in too much sillage...

Nanette Lepore starts a rose-dominant powder floral. But as it dries down, dense clouds of sweet, spicy powder click in place. This is definately a Spray Carefully fragrance, and in the wrong circumstances it could be cloying. But it's fun. Nostalgic, spicy (that mixture-spice of the 50's - not quite cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, but not quite not), powdery, sweet, all girl. It's still an interesting choice, and I'm delighted to have finally solved the mystery of the rower with Big Sillage, as well as find the Tigress I remember from childhood. I don't know that I have the skin to wear this, though I'll probably try, and I suspect my lovely little pink bottle will last into the ages.

I love the bottle (as with all Nanette bottles) and the opening of this one is fresh and sweet and gorgeous---rose and peach and cranberry with a spritz of lime. It becomes a skin scent within about 2 hours and all I'm really getting is soapy sandalwood and a hint of jasmine. This one is probably going to last 3 hours, tops.
I wish the opening lasted the entire time, that part was pleasant and really lovely. The rest is just...meh. This fragrance is inexpensive and easily found, and I can see it being really pleasing for some. Probably not a keeper for me.
(crosspost)

To Read all 83 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/4/2015 7:22:00 AM

This started out very sour and sharp on me, and I could tell it was one of those fragrances that will give you a headache if you keep smelling it.

After a few minutes though, this changed to a lovely faint rose with a hint of wood, a vintage style fragrance but without the overwhelming powder. It has a little powder I admit but it is balanced quite nicely by the amber and sandalwood note. A few minutes later I can detect fruit, perhaps a faint note of lime blended perfectly with the rose. Then the wood really becomes apparent in this complicated fragrance. It develops a warmth I wouldn't expect after the harsh initial scent. I am glad I didn't wash this off after the initial opening as this developed into an unusual but feminine and light fragrance.

If I spray this once or twice then this develops into a pleasant light and sweet fragrance. Any more sprays than this though and this becomes very artificial smelling and does give me headaches.

I will continue to use up but won’t be buying again.

on 8/16/2014 9:13:00 AM

I like this fragrance because it is a super feminine fragrance that lasts and lasts throughout the day. This perfume does not smell natural (meaning that I cannot identify if it smells like vanilla or a flower, etc.) but it does make my mouth water. I love how soft and feminine it is without being flowery. It is one of the few scents that captures the idea of femininity without layering various florals together. This bottle has lasted me for a number of years, as I primarily wear this scent in the spring and summer. I think this is a great buy and would recommend this to those who like long-lasting, feminine scents.

on 6/3/2012 10:07:00 PM

This perfume smells sooo much better after it's dried and has been on your skin for a while. It kind of reminds me of a wood-sy smell and to be honest I can't really put my finger on what it is.

My boyfriend is in love with it though!

I heard that it's discontinued though so he's just going to have to love another one!

on 11/26/2011 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is fast becoming my HG perfume, much to my dismay. I'm not the biggest fan of sweet smelling anything, but Nanette Lepore is a grown up version of a fruity floral, with a dry down of mostly rose, peach, violet and sandalwood on me, with the right blend that smells creamy and powdery, in a nice way..definitely will repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So here I sit ashamed, after bashing so many fruity-florals. But not this one. NL is more complex and much longer lasting than most. It is definitely sweet and does not contain a lot to counteract the sweetness. Rose, lemon, orchard fruits and powder. Somehow it all comes together. And I just adore the bottle. The pottery like kitsch of the bottle makes me smile.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of my signature scents. I love love love this perfume. It's feminine and light.

on 2/4/2011 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this as an impulse buy after finding a 1 oz bottle at Marshall's for less than $10. I don't generally care about the packaging, but I admit that the little pink, ceramic triangular bottle with flowers on it *is* adorable.

As for the scent, well... it's a fruity floral. You probably already know what it smells like. As far as these things go, I like this one more than the others I have smelled. It opens with a gleefully synthetic rose note, which then gives way to anonymous fruit notes with pink pepper. There's no clanging synthetic amber in the drydown, and it reminds me a bit of Calyx Prescriptives and Clinique Happy overall. I wouldn't repurchase it, but I'll keep the pretty bottle on my dresser and use it up.
~Edit~ This ended up smelling too sharp and thin to me, and I gave it away.

on 1/14/2011 5:41:00 PM

This smells exactly like Vivid by Liz Claiborne. I thought I would smell more of the peach but all I get are flowers and slight powdery scent. When first sprayed, it is fresh, fruity and smells very nice. The dry time, is totally different from the first spritz. Luckily, I bought this dirt cheap on ebay. Not a very original scent. Nice and cute packaging, reminds me of Lulu Guiness.

Popular Fragrances