Maybelline Great Lash Royal Blue

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

My favorite blue mascara. I am really disappointed that it has been discontinued after so many years. I use it with white eyelash primer to make the blue really pop. It's an electric blue, which make the whites in my eyes look whiter and make my hazel eyes look a tad lighter. Every time I have worn it, I get compliments. Now I am down to my two last tubes. I wish they would bring it back.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is beyond awful. My friends and I call it shitlash.
It has gotten such a hype because the company has payed for beauty editors to rave about it.
Edit: this was for the original black one

To Read all 88 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/4/2016 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I want this mascara brought back or tell me where i can order its all i wear and have worn it for years please bring back it doesn't bother my eyes and i love it ...5 star rating i can't believe you speed making it bring it back bring it back bring it ball

on 8/18/2015 10:33:00 AM

I bought this a while ago and just gotten around to using this because I had forgotten all about it. I have tried the original version (black) and i HATED it because it did NOTHING for my lashes. When I saw that they made a colored version, I was intrigued. Upon first impression, it was just like the original.... nothing special, it just made my lashes look wet and a hair darker. Also, i didn't see ANY blue color to it what so ever (on its own). The only way I can get the blue to show up is if i use a regular mascara first, let that dry...and then go over it with this mascara a couple times. I didn't have high expectations for this mascara, but i DID expect the blue to show up! It's a very wet formula and takes a while to dry. Since you need MULTIPLE coats of this stuff to have sufficient color show up... that's just too much effort. I will stick with the NYX and Hard Candy colored mascaras. While they cost a bit more, the quality far surpasses this crappy product.

On the plus side though... while the brush is insufficient for coating my upper lashes, I think it's good at separating my lower lashes. I will toss out the tube and wash/clean the wand so i can use it with other mascaras.

I'm holding off on a 5-star rating, because I've only just purchased a tube of Great Lash in Royal Blue and tried it out today. However, upon first impression, I really like it and feel like I should share my thoughts. I started off with low expectations because of a few things: 1) not many Youtubers or makeup bloggers talk about this product 2) Royal Blue seems to be a different blue from the limited edition colored Great Lash mascara (2 years ago I think)--from pics online, that one seems like a bright, electric blue 3) people generally seem to be disappointed in colored mascaras, because it doesn't show up 4) Great Lash was my gateway mascara to the world of makeup, and I didn't even like it back then...

That being said, this formula seems improved from the runny Great Lash I tried for what seems a million years ago. Actually, I think the tube I got was quite dry--which was okay by me, because upon seeing the brilliant blue in the bottle, I didn't want to end up depositing too much product on my lashes. The wand is kind of small, but it did the trick for separating my lashes. I have black hair and dark lashes, so at first, it seemed like any old black mascara upon application. But when I turned my head to the side in the natural light, I noticed my lashes were a subtle blue. I wanted some impact/color, but I actually decided I like the subtlety better, because I can wear it daily pretty much anywhere. It's not a neon blue that would jump out at you but be normal only at a rave or Coachella or something haha...it's totally wearable, but gives your makeup a little bit of intrigue in brighter lighting. Although the color looks nice, I don't think it does anything particularly special for my dark brown eyes/ make the whites of my eyes brighter---idk some people may choose color mascara for enhancing purposes.

The product itself doesn't volumize, maybe lengthens a teeny bit, but it holds my curl pretty well--which is good. They don't have the Royal Blue at every drugstore, but I got mine at target for $5 and some change. It was either this or the colored NYX mascaras.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

As quite a few people have said on Amazon.com,youtube,and other make up review sites,it's a *tiny* scimpy little brush,the smallest I have ever seen and had and your not going to get that much volume with it. The Maybelline describes it as adding length and volume.The blue color doesn't even hardly show up on my medium dark brown lashes even with 2 coats.

It's a whole size smaller than a regular size mascara brush.I had to wash an older Loreal Voluminous mascara brush that is a regular size brush (which is a great inexpensive mascara for volume) and put it into the Great Lash tube,but it doesn't fit well enough for the cap to screw on and close up,so now I had to wrap heavy duty foil around it with rubber bands also around it and put it in a plastic storage bag and hope that it doesn't dry up and or go bad!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

No matter what mascara I ever try, I always go back to this one. For the price, it is the least "clumpy" of mascaras. I try to spend more money to see if I can find a better one, but I just go back to Great Lash everytime. It's a classic I tell you!

on 4/29/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

You can see the blue in this mascara when it is applied, but primarily when the light shines on your eyes, or if you are out in daylight. It is blue, so of course it is not going to show up in the dark or areas with low light. This is a lovely mascara that looks very pretty on, and the blue shade is perfect. It leans towards navy blue, but is brighter, although not ultra bright by any means. This one blows away Benefit Bad Gal Blue, which ran on me terribly and did not stay on. Plus, it is much cheaper than the Benefit Bad Gal Blue and just much better quality. For some reason this is the only shade that does not smudge and transfer on me either. It must have something to do with the color pigments used. Yes, I recommend this one.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

It's a let down. I wanted a blue mascara for fun, for nights out and sometimes to change it up. You can hardly see any tinge of blue once it's on, and the mascara formula itself leaves a lot to be desired. Hardly any length or volume. I guess I will have to fold and get Benefit's mascara, which is why I purchased this in the first place, to see if I could avoid that.

Extremely Disappointed!! I was looking for that bright blue pop and didn't even come close. I had to put several coats on to get a bit of color and when it dried, you cannot tell at all. I have black lashes and I see no color at all. I tried the look with electric blue eyeshadow and it still doesn't show anything. I will try using a primer or white base first to see if I get a different result but I think this was made for blonde lashes. I wouldn't buy it again unless I can somehow get the color to show. BUMMER