MAC Russian Red

MAC Russian Red

4.6

I bought this because a saw a young, dark-skinned barista rocking it. I asked her what she was wearing! I'm pale, old(er) and still I thought this might work for me. Alas, although I like the formula it made my lips look like a ghastly gash that cut my face off at the mouth and also bled into the fine lines I didn't know I had. The barista's lips looked bold, juicy, plump. So...if you're white-skinned young and bold or dark-skinned of any age this is EVERYTHING. It truly is a gorgeous color and formula.

I've been doing a personal beauty challenge to wear a red lip daily for 40 days and bought this halfway through to expand my options and because I felt like this was a lipstick I needed to own.

And omg. The first time I put it on. It's like everything I've ever wanted in a red. Not pink, not orange, not too dark, but not too bright. This is makeup wardrobe staple red.

The formula is dry and takes attention to apply BUT once on it doesn't feel like it's going to slide or transfer or smoosh around. It has a nice matte finish that while not moisturizing doesn't feel drying.

I need to always own this.

on 3/26/2017 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my go-to red along with Armani's 400. It's the perfect Hollywood red that suits anybody. Long-lasting and matte, it really is one of the best lipsticks I've ever come across and trust me, that's saying something :) I like to blot and apply it again a few times and I find that I don't have to reapply for the whole night. Make sure your lips are well exfoliated and moisturized. This formula is drying.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Pros:
- Awesome color, universally flattering for cool and warm skin tones
- High pigmentation
- Long lasting

Cons:
- Non smuggle proof
- Very drying (all Mac Lip products are destroying my sensitive lips in two days of wear)

I would not repurchase, but will definitely recommend MAC lipsticks to those who's lips are rarely getting dry.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I normally wear nudes everyday. For Christmas, I pulled out this red and decided to give it a try.

I have pink undertones and was worried about how it would look, but with a simple winged eyeliner, it looked classy and beautiful. A bold, heavily pigmented, pop of color.

If you're a reds girl, you definitely need this one in your collection!

on 1/21/2017 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

MAC Russian Red lipstick looked great with my very deep tan that I'd gotten when I went on vaycay 😁

on 1/15/2017 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am trying to find a lipstick to replace my red one: MAC Opera (Toledo collection). I must say i will never buy limited editions of anything because of this. MAC don't carry Toledo's anymore and it is not permanent.

Russian Red is a comfortable matte to use. The lipstick glides on the lips without tugging and has a great lastig power for me (4-5h). It fades if you eat, but it is not a problem to me because i always remove my lips before eating. It also transfer on me, but leaves a stain behind.

It has a buttery application, although not in the same league as MAC Opera (Toledo Collection) or NARS Cruella.

However I will not buy it again. It is not the lipstick fault, but i feel its final color don't go with me. I am around NC43-NC45 (olive skin) in MAC and my lips have two colors: inferior is mostly a light pink, while the superior is half split into light pink and a medium brown (feature of dark skinned people).

Since Ruby Woo, i stick with blue based lips. Russian red (some say it is blue based) applies too warm to my lips, with a hint of orange to it. No go for me.

But it is a great formulation. I say go for it.

on 12/10/2016 2:23:00 PM

My first red ls. I love it. The sa told me tk try it on. He was so right. I have full lips and very rarely wore bright or bold ls. This one is superb. You do need to have very moisturized lips. You cant skip that. It wears beautifully. It lasts for hours even when you drink coffee and smoke. It doesn t feel drying even though it is a matte ls. I never use lip primer cause I keep my lips moisturized all time

the best red's you can find, gives you a natural flush and lasts too!!
my absolute fav for lips as well as some on the cheeks!

on 8/14/2016 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My favorite red lipstick. A classic true red lipstick that looks beautiful and lasts hours without reapplying. Recommend highly 💋