MAC Russian Red

MAC Russian Red

4.6

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

i absolutely love the color. it's a vibrant, sexy red that works with most if not all skin tones and it is highly pigmented. it's fairly long-lasting with primer. that said, it is not smudge or kiss-proof so i would keep that in mind when buying.

on 6/29/2016 11:52:00 AM

+ Best blue toned "dark" red for me.
- Gets into my lines, making them too obvious.
- Too dry and crumbles, how do people ever survive with it on without drying out their lips to death?

All in all, wonderful colour, but will look for a dupe.

To Read all 657 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Very red, very beautiful with sexy look.

But it is too dry. I had one five years ago and didn't buy another one after it's lost.

on 5/16/2016 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

The most amazing red! A must have for red lip lovers! There are some ways to wear it: with Cherry lip pencil or with Brick lip pencil as a base on entire lips for a deeper sexy Red. I also love using Pearl cream color base on high cheekbones when I wear bright colors on my lips...all products by Mac

on 5/14/2016 4:58:00 PM

All time favourite lipstick.
True red, suitable for any skin tone. Great consistency. Great packaging.
Great quality!

on 4/17/2016 4:27:00 PM

If you are not into the Ruby Woo hype, this lipstick is for you. It's my HG red lipstick and I'm completely obsessed over it. It was my second Mac lipstick and the one that started the obsession with Mac! It's a dark but bright red which is perfect for day or night. The formulas matte and it can become a little dry over time but its staying power makes up for it. It once lasted a 3 course meal and I don't own a lot of lipsticks that does that. Overall it's my go to red and one of my fav Mac lipsticks

on 2/21/2016 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My FAVORITE vamp all stops out red, not replicated by my now favorite brand of lipstick - a little known handmade brand called Elixr. I mostly wear natural lipstick now, no technical wowie ones like what makes this one stand out, so this biases how often I wear this. Still, I pull this one out when I am going all out red and looking not to reapply for hours. I apply it the old fashioned way, (which by the way also works for non-matte lipsticks):

1. Make sure lips are clean and dry (and exfoliated if possible)
2. Apply a good layer, preferably with a brush
3. Wait a minute, then blot with a tissue to remove excess
*4. Dust lips w/ a touch of powder
*5. Reapply with a lighter hand this time
*6. Blot again
Done!
*Oftentimes, w/ this lipstick, I don't do the * - forgo the second app :)

MAC is my favorite non-natural lipstick. This is true to their best of matte lipstick legacy. It goes on creamy and highly pigmented, then within a short time 'dries' to be somewhat long staying power for a lipstick (not like the paint-on super chemical stay on ones though!). I am a NC35; personally, I feel this color really stands out on the NCs more, though it's always relative to what you like personally.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this red, I've been trying it for over a year now and its such a great TRUE RED to me, its just what you envision when you read the color red, turn the page and the color hits you in the face.

on 2/1/2016 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This lipstick was my first and was almost last MAC lipstick.

Russian Red is a punch-in-the-face kind of matte red lipstick. It's bold, it's pigmented, and it is eye-catching. Things that are, for most, considered positives. Normally, these are things I would love.

It's just the formula and I did not get along. I found it, even with the Brick lipliner, to last 3 hours at max even without eating or drinking. During those 3 hours, my lips became almost painfully dry and flakey (even though I had exfoliated prior to application). On top of this, it faded unevenly, giving this weird ring around my lips.

The lipstick, like all MAC lipsticks, have a very strong vanilla scent. If you are sensitive to smells, it lingers for a while after application.

Between the lack of longevity and the uneven fading, this lipstick wasn't for me. A lot of people have a positive experience with it, and you may as well, but it just isn't the red for me.

Pros:

- Pigmented
- Vanilla scent (for those that like it)
- Great for pin-up couture

Cons:

- Vanilla scent (for those that are sensitive to smells)
- Fades unevenly
- Very drying
- Does not last long
- Requires lipliner

Wow. Beautiful lipstick! I had never really ventured the world of red lipsticks up until Russian Red. Most reds are too orange tone or I don't know, just not something I would wear. Russian Red has no awkward orange tones. It's a beautiful red.. mm like a blood red? That definitely does not sound nice but trust me, a nice wearable bold red lipstick. It complements my warm medium Indian skintone. Perfect for a night out. What makes this a 5 star lipstick is it's formula. It's matte and sets quickly. However it's not a crazy matte lipstick that is so uncomfortably drying. It's creamy just enough to apply nicely. I sometimes use MAC's Brick lipliner to create a neat application and help the lipstick's longevity (although Russian Red by itself lasts for a long time). I definitely suggest the usual exfoliation and moisturization of your lips for the best results.