MAC 109 Small Contour Brush

MAC 109 Small Contour Brush
109 Small Contour Brush109 Small Contour BrushMAC 109 vs 165

4.2

This is a great brush for contouring and really getting into the hollows of the cheeks. I've tried several "fancier" brushes for contouring, like the 164 (which doesn't even have a page on here) and an angled brush but this is definitely the best. It's soft, so it's easy to blend with. I dip it into my bronzer (Benefit Hoola) and then draw a line in my hollow with it before blending it out in circular motions. It's easy to build the colour with this brush but the blending motion helps it to look natural. Definitely worth the price and simple to use.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this brush for nearly 10 years. Own two of them in fact. They are still shedding strong.

I loved them when I first got them because they were very versatile and were my go to brushes for powder. However, they shed even more now than before and I just can't stand picking off the little hairs anymore (they're so little, they won't brush away). I've roughed them up during washing before like one of the ladies below me, but it didn't do a thing for me.

If you have enough patience and time to pick off little hairs, enjoy, but I say no no no.

I bought this to use as a contour brush. I'm still perfecting my contour skills, but this seems like a pretty good brush. It can be used to apply blush, loose powder, bronzer, highlighter, many uses! I recommend it, but I'm curious how the Nars brush compares for contouring. The shapes are very different.

on 8/27/2014 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I bought this brush probably 10 years ago when it was recommended to me for applying Studiofix compact foundation.
I've long since given up with Studiofix but now use this brush for applying loose powder. The small head allows far more precision than a larger "powder" brush and less waste of product. I would have to rush out to replace this brush if I lost it; my powder just doesn't go on as smoothly with any other method.
My brush sheds only occasionally so I'm surprised that so many people have had problems with it. Maybe they're manufactured differently now; a tip I picked up that works is to lay your brushes flat to dry, preferably hanging over the edge of a flat surface. Standing them up to dry causes moisture to get up the bristles into the base of the brush, weakening the glue and increasing shedding.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I kinda thought I'm outta my mind for splashing so much cash on a brush... but it's soo worth it! Def the best brush I own! I use this for blush, bronzer, and even highlighter.
It's the only brush I can get the kind of contour I want, and it makes applying everything so easy, products look super-blended, professionally done and it's just effortless to use, because it does everything for you! Everyone needs it in their lives, but especially if you ave no time in the morning to perfect your contouring/bronzing regime or you can never get it right and end up muddy, this will totally save you! :)

on 6/9/2014 1:11:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is the only brush I can contour with and well. I used to use the Mac 168 but I stopped using it because the bristles were not dense enough and it was just too flimsy. The Mac 109 brush is a real workhorse and collects product well. I contour my cheekbones, forehead and sides and looks super. Each time I used the 168 my face looked muddy because the application was not good, so all in all, I feel the Mac 109 brush does the better job. It washes up well, although I will agree with a few reviews that occasionally it does shed but not much, so I can put up with this. My biggest gripe with mac brushes is the packaging, which comes in flimsy sellophane.

on 6/5/2014 1:57:00 AM

Contour, blush, highlight, can be done with only this brush, which I like! The hair is very denseable, can make strong pigments you want, only cons is it sheds sometimes

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this brush, I've had it for about six years now. I use it to contour my cheeks, and it fits perfectly in that area. I also use it to put bronzer on other areas of the face like the forehead. I've also used it to apply blush, and powder foundation. It has natural hairs, and I haven't had any hairs shed from this brush. I clean it with baby shampoo, and rinse it with a tiny bit of conditioner.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

There is nothing to say about this brush it my favourite. Yes it sheds, it doesn't bother me. For appyling blush it is great even if you are not a make up artist!! It is great for contouring too of course. It is a must have.

on 10/9/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I love this brush it it my go to highlighting and contouring brush. It blends everything out like a dream. The only gripe I have with it is that it sheds. I'm on the hunt for a brush like this that doesn't shed that still performs as well. I haven't found one yet.

Video Reviews & Tutorials