Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment Bar

Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment Bar

100 Solum Fullonum (Fuller's Earth)

on 5/17/2017 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

My skin quite likes Fresh's Umbrian Clay treatment bar. I purchased it last Fall during the VIB 20% sale but didn't really start using it regularly till recently this Spring. I regret the delay now that I see that it does actually seem to clarify and purify skin. My favorite scrub (Sage) was reformulated to include jojoba beads (which is a deal-breaker for my skin), so I've been on the hunt for a replacement. Ironically, this clay brick's been sitting in my drawer in the bathroom for months. I guess my lack of initial enthusiasm is probably the result of years trying different clay masks but having minimal success. I also hated the mess that other clay masks seem to make.

As others have said, this bar is 100% Umbrian clay or Fuller's Earth. Fresh says that it's a "proprietary ingredient found solely in the Italian town of Nocera Umbra. The uniquely high mineral content neutralizes acidity on the skin, purifying and clarifying the complexion. The all-natural bar works to extract toxins, treat skin imperfections, aid in the regeneration of healthy skin cells and soothe the skin." At this point, I would have to agree with their promises. It does seem to clarify, purify and soothe.

I apply as others have suggested by dampening the finger tips of one hand, swirling on top of the bar and applying. The bar dries quickly as you do this, so you need to redampen your fingertips as needed. Used this way, the clay "mask" is quite thin but it works for me. I usually let it dry about 5 min. before rinsing off and continuing with my routine. So far, I'm using it once weekly in the AM.

on 9/28/2016 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Love the Fresh clay bar. I have had my bar now for a number of years. I also use this as a spot treatment and voila spot-gone. It may take a few spot treatments over a few days but eventually it will do its magic. Sometimes I use it more as a mask in the t-zone area and it reduces any excess oil.

I know some complain that the price is ridiculous and you can get a clay treatment a whole lot cheaper but if you use it as I do the bar will last you years. It will at a point start breaking into bits but all you need to do is dampen your index finger and rub on the bit to get a paste going -easy.

I would suggest you do not put the bar under running water ever, there is simply no need to do that and you will use up the bar much quicker than the method I suggested.

on 6/11/2016 4:32:00 AM

Really like this. I use it as a spot treatment. I run it under water then take my finger and move it around to get product on it put it over the pimple and sleep with it. LoOVE this stuff and it lasts forever!

on 12/29/2014 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

It looks expensive but it's a hard brick of clay so it lasts forever. I use it about once a week or every two weeks in conjunctions with other masks. This is basically fuller's clay or kaolin which is really powerful at drawing oil out so it's great if you have congested skin but it's not going to cure your acne. I like this and the price per use is awesome but I think there are so many other kaolin based masks out there with the addition of other ingredients that make it more potent, I really like origins charcoal mask.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I was so underwhelmed with this bar. I loved the concept of one simple ingredient in a bar that would be gentle enough to apply as a daily mask, and all of the rave reviews on it gave me high hopes. But alas. It did nothing to reduce inflammation or otherwise calm redness. I don't break out much so maybe I would have noticed more of a difference if I had acne, but I was hoping this would improve the redness of my skin and maybe diminish the noticeability of my pores, but it really did nothing to my complexion. I have dry skin and was worried this would dry me out, as it is a clay, but it didn't. For me, that was the one pro of it, but if you have oily skin and are hoping it will reduce oiliness, you may be disappointed.

There are quite a few products that I've used in which I've noticed a discrepancy between what should happen, scientifically, and how my skin actually responds. I think I just have very fickle and sensitive skin. I'm torn on whether to recommend it to reduce oiliness, because this should work for that. If you have oily skin and that's the main reason you're looking into this, I would give it a chance. That is the only case in which I would recommend it.

Quite a few users have commented on it being a pain to apply. I'm a results kind of girl, so if a product is effective, I can deal with messy application, inconvenient packaging, that kind of thing. But if you like the ease of squeezing a mask out of a tube, you may be annoyed with having to apply it from a bar. It does get messy and it does feel like you're wasting a lot of product. Keep in mind that you want the bar to dry out during the day. I wouldn't leave this in the shower because it won't dry, and the clay will continue to drip, gradually wasting a lot of product.

I let this sit on my skin for about 10 minutes every evening for a couple weeks before I gave up on it. Yes, I know that's not all that long for a skin treatment, but considering this has only one ingredient whose properties should go into effect upon contact with the skin, I felt that two weeks was a long enough trial run. It would be different if this was a retinol product that I was using for hyperpigmentation, but this is a lot more basic than that and I hadn't noticed any difference.

I'm giving it two lippies because it had no adverse effect on my skin. But otherwise this was meh for me and I returned it.

on 11/18/2013 11:33:00 PM

I stumbled upon this product when searching for natural remedies for cystic acne. Needless to say, this isn't a miracle product, but it helps clear up inflammation and redness like no other! I usually use it once or twice a week, usually for 30 minutes or so. The application isn't ideal, it's messy and you definitely will have to clean either your clothes or your counter afterwards. However, once I rinse it off, my pores feel tight and clean and my skin is smooth and has a noticeable glow to it! Again, not a miracle product-- can't say if it did anything for my acne. But as a treatment for redness or oiliness, or if you feel like treating yourself to a mini-facial in your own bathroom, this is a great product. Bought it about a year ago (less than half of it has been used up!) and got one for my mom for Christmas. She loves it too.

If you're looking for a (much) cheaper but somewhat similar product, Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque is your go-to. Doesn't do everything the Fresh bar does, but you still get that nice tight skin/clean pore feeling.

on 10/29/2013 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 4 ($44 CAD for a bar!)
Packaging: 2
Buy again: yes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I came across this product when I was looking up reviews for the matching Umbrian Clay oil-free lotion (which I also have) and I was curious. I have combo/oily skin that is breakout prone when I'm really stressed or use the wrong products. I love clay masks, but I often put off using them because of the mess and it can sometimes be a pain to remove. Plus I like the idea of just having a bar of pure clay that I can apply to my face and not having to worry about the "wet" ingredients in a tube of mask to dry out or expire.

Let me just say: the price. WTF. So expensive. I've been reading online that some people say this bar is the exact same thing as fuller's earth and some people who say it's completely different - I don't know. Even if it is the same thing as Fuller's earth, I like that this is a compact, mess-free bar.

It's pretty easy to use. I use it like most people on here do; I hold the bar with a dry hand, and rub it on my wet hand to make a thin paste and then apply the paste to my damp face and let dry. I let it sit from 5-30 minutes (depending on how forgetful I am) and then rinse.

I love that my face doesn't feel like it's uncomfortably tight or cracking like when I use other clay face masks. In fact it feels like I have nothing on my face at all. It rinses easily, and leaves my skin feeling very soft and clean afterwards, not dried out at all. I tried it on one of my small blemishes and it helped get rid of it almost instantly! Amazing.

I will keep trying it over the next few months and will update if I have any new revelations.

EDIT (11.10.2013):
I tried using it today by rubbing the short end of the bar on my wet face after washing it - it works much better that way! It basically creates the mask paste right on your face without having to wet your fingers (I keep the clear plastic on my bar so I stays pretty dry). I like this way the best. I let it dry for 5-10 minutes and then rinsed, and my blackheads/pores on my nose were pretty invisible, and my skin just felt clearer and less congested. Love this!

This clay bar has been my favorite skincare item I've ever purchased. I am so glad I decided to splurge on it. I use it about 1-2x week and it has lasted me at least 6 month and I still have more than half of it left. This is why I don't think the price is too much, because it lasts so long. Whenever I am having a really bad breakout or a bad skin week I just use this bar and my skin clears up shortly after. I have very oily skin, so this bar doesn't dry me out instead it keeps my oil under control. It also does wonders for my black heads. If they are getting inflamed, I use this bar and they calm down. It is also very good for sensitive skin, I've never had a bad reaction to it.

on 11/19/2012 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this for about a week now nightly after my cleanser. Not entirely sure if it was my switch from my cleansers containing BHA to a mild cleanser and this clay or if it was the work of the clay entirely but my skin has not been this good in a long time. I have recently been breaking out with whiteheads and cystic-like acne around my jaw, but ever since I made the switch all has been dramatically decreasing. In order to use, I just use a spray water bottle on one end and rub on face. A little is a lot when it dries. The only problem I have is that I recently fell asleep with some on my face as a spot treatment; however, it was very difficult to take away with my cleanser and water. (Reason why I did not give 5 stars)

I love this product. It really helps to keep my skin under control. I use it a couple of times a week in the evening after washing my face. I moisten the bar, slather on a good amount, and let it dry on my face. Sometimes I leave it on for up to 30 minutes. It seems to really help with oil control, and makes my pores tighter. I have had the same bar for about a year, and it is not even halfway gone.