Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for Sensitive Skin

Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for Sensitive SkinComplete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for Sensitive Skin

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 2.5, Octocrylene 0.5, Zinc Oxide 7.0. Inactive Ingredients: Water/Eau, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Panthenol, Niacinamide, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Steareth-21, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Stearyl Alcohol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polyethylene, Behenyl Alcohol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, DMDM Hydantoin, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, PEG/PPG-20/20 Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Steareth-2, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

I'm SUPER picky about SPF moisturizers. It needs to be SPF 30 or more, it needs to actually moisturize, and most importantly it needs to sink in quickly and not feel like sunscreen. After trying the "best" Neutrogena and Olay 7 SPF moisturizers and hating them, I gave up. Until now of course. This sinks in so quickly and it doesn't feel like sunscreen at all. After a few moments you can't even tell you put anything on your face at all. It leaves my skin moisturized but not oily or greasy. Make sure to start off with a little and don't over do the application. Would repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Webdoyenne is RIGHT! the best facial sunscreen ever! And I also find it travels well. In fact I've been known to use it as my all over sunscreen when it's just my hands and arms that are exposed. This goes onto my face, neck and decollete region every morning.

Can't even count how many of these I've gone thru! This is by far and away the BEST facial sunscreen ever. I've used it in the tropics, high heat and humidity. In the desert, high heat and scorchingly dry air. Dry winters, high UV indexes (I live in an inland desert area) and this stuff protects me, doesn't irritate and fades any freckling I get when I'm stupid and think a little colour on my face would be nice. Hint--it isn't. I'm a freckle faced PPP redhead!. A few days off for colour just reactivate all the freckles I forgot about.

No worries, a few days with this and the niacin, Vitamin C and other goodies start to fade my freckles and any age spots trying to make an entrance.

This is an excellent formula, it never breaks me out, or aggravates the rosacea or the allergic sensitive skin.

It plays well with every foundation I've tried it with.

I also find that on days I don't want to bother with foundation I can dust off the shine (yes it's a touch shiny on it's own) with a puffy powder brush swirled into a Lucidity pressed powder (Estee Lauder in Light Med) or my favourite Dual Finish compact by Lancome in Buff II which is a touch dark and I love it for summer or Neutrale II which is a touch pale and is great for winter skin.

Either way, on top of foundation or with a dusting of powder this looks good.

By the way I tried using primers recently under a good spf foundation and went back to this stuff. The little bit of shiny is simply the best luminous primer going, and it beats the other primers I've tried (Rimmel, L'Oreal). why bother with expensive primers when this little SPF marvel will do.

Last note, I tried the Walmart copy of this, hated it. The finish of this is really good.

To Read all 439 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/30/2016 12:06:00 PM

Figured I'd give this product a little love, since it's become my daily go-to. First of all, I live in Florida, so sunscreen every day is a must, even if I'm only going out to get the mail or get into my car. On top of that, I am family-history-of-melanoma pale.

The best sunsceen is the one you will use. This is a lightweight, unscented 30 SPF moisturizer in a plastic pump container. It sits next to my master bathroom sink and I'll use it several times throughout the day. Because the container is small/light, it travels well. (You can turn the dispenser top to "lock" it, but I stick it in a ziplock just to be safe.)

I paid $12.95 for this at Target. I wish it came in a larger size, but...

Caveat: If I'm headed to the beach or it's likely that I'll spend a lot of time outside, this is not what I use; my heavy duty sunscreen of choice is Banana Boat Sport SPF 50 in the pump bottle. (I love pump bottles. I hate tubes especially.)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've been wearing this for a few months to see how I like it before writing a review. I'm on my second bottle of this now and I really love it! It goes on easily and isn't very shiny. The best part of all is that it hasn't broken me out. I follow up with a CoverGirl powder to help pat away any shininess, to make my face a little more matte, and to help prolong it (I have pretty oily skin).

I wanted a lightweight moisturizer with spf (MINIMUM 30, I won't go less than that since I'm so pale) to wear for when I'm walking to class and just for everyday errands. I know they have an spf 15 version of this but, like I mentioned, I'm pale and need a higher spf than that. If I'm going to be out in the sun for longer than an hour then I make sure to wear Neutrogena's CoolSport spf 70 sunscreen plus a hat.

PROS:
- Doesn't break me out
- I love the bottle as it comes with a pump that you can make open and shut. Makes it easy to travel with and not messy!
- Not too shiny
- Makes my skin feel soft, smooth, and moisturized
- Doesn't sweat off of me immediately
- Rubs on easily, no flaking
- Doesn't have an overpowering typical sunscreen scent.

CONS:
- Pretty pricy for the size of the bottle
- Can be hard to find in certain locations. The Walmart in my hometown doesn't have it but the Walmart where I attend university does.
- May have a whitecast for those that aren't white. I'm very pale and I can tell a bit of a difference when I put it on. Not a big difference to me but it could be for other people.
- I personally wouldn't wear ONLY this if I knew I was going to be out in the sun for a long time. Moisturizers with spf tend to have less overall protection than just straight sunscreen. So I either wear a hat or wear one of my favorite Neutrogena sunscreens if I need more protection.

Overall, I'm very happy with this sunscreen and definitely recommend it if you have sensitive skin and are looking for a nice everyday moisturizer with spf.

on 1/21/2016 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So far, I love this moisturizer. I have normal, slightly dry skin and this leaves me moisturized with no greasy finish. I've just gone off accutane, so i have a lot of hyper pigmentation and i needed a basic moisturizer that would not irritate my sensitive skin and that can go around my eyes. This does exactly that. It applies very smoothly (I use about 3-4 pumps to get the full protection I need) and it doesn't emphasize my enlarged pores. I also like that its fragrance free, when you apply it theres that sunscreen smell but it quickly dissipates unlike certain moisturizers. I've been using this for 2 weeks so far and will update if I have a change of heart.

on 1/20/2016 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used this product since my early 20s (38 here), and I believe my skin is the better for it (not much sun damage, very few wrinkles). I have Fitzpartrick Type I skin, which basically means very susceptible to sun damage (and skin cancer). I can use this all around my eyes, which are sensitive, with zero irritation, so it is a great eye day cream by itself even if you are using another SS on the rest of your face. By the way, this does now offer broad spectrum sun protection since Olay added a small amount of Zno to satisfy FDA regulations on this front.

*Application/Finish:This applies smoothly, with no product balling. It gives a decent amount of hydration, without making the skin too greasy for makeup application. I have no problem wearing foundation over this. I am a tretinoin user, and it keeps my dry skin soft and smooth looking as well as preventing sun spots.The Zno content can give this product a white/pasty look or flashback in photographs. I don't personally have the problem because I am naturally pasty! That is, I'm pale enough that it pretty much blends in perfectly. It might be an issue on darker, warmer skin tones though.

*Ingredients/protection: I appreciate that this is fragrance free (a must for me), as well as the addition of antioxidants like Niacinamide and green tea extract. The the spf ingredients are stable, and I think 7% Zno is fine for incidental sun exposure. Mind you, I don't rely on this as a prime facial sunscreen during Summer months or other serious sun exposure. For example I used the Olay on my face on vacation in the Caribbean, and it pretty much failed the Asian PP standard (persistent pigmentation), meaning I got a lot of color to my face in a very short time, though not a burn. It seems the spf was enough to prevent burning (UVB protection), but that there wasn't enough UVA protection to prevent sun pigmentation, which whether we like it or not, is damaging to the skin. However, I am not normally out and about in the sun or vacationing in places near the equator, so it's great for my daily SS in the Winter or when I am otherwise protected, which is most days.

*Packaging: I really like the pump bottle. It is sleek and hygienic, making it very easy to travel with. however, it does cause significant product waste. There is 7-10 days worth of product left in the bottle by the time the pump stops picking up product. I end up removing the top daily for a week or so at the end of each bottle, which is annoying.

*Tips: 4 pumps amounts to 1/4th tsp, which is the requisite amount to get the label protection of spf 30. I have a very small face, so I usually only use 3 on my face. To get the smoothest finish I apply two pumps, wait 10 mins or so and then apply the rest. I wait at least another 10 mins and go about my other morning stuff before applying makeup.

*Price: In drugstores this often runs near $17.00/bottle, which I think is absurd. I find it for about $10/bottle on Amazon or drugstore.com (NA).

Will continue to repurchase as long as it is available.

on 11/2/2015 1:08:00 PM

In my recent search for more affordable AND more effective skincare, I circled back to this product. I'm pretty sure I tried this about 12 years ago, when I wanted something a little more moisturizing and with a higher SPF than the Complete Sensitive SPF15 that I had used successfully for awhile. I think at that time, I found this too moisturizing and moved on to other (more expensive) options. "Too moisturizing" isn't generally a complaint I have at this stage of my life anymore. When the all-physical Neutrogena Healthy Defense 50 was just too heavy and started showing signs of being pore-congesting, I thought I'd give this another try. I haven't used anything but all-physical sunscreens since my earlier experience with Olay but, since my finicky skin got along okay with Octinoxate then, I thought this was worth a try. First layer is Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum (fragrance-free), then about a pump-and-a-half of this for my face and neck. Takes a little bit of rubbing in but the white cast is minimal. Tarte Amazonian Tinted Moisturizer blends well on top. The result is really nice, glowy, slightly dewy, YOUNGER looking skin. If I'm feeling a little dry, I can easily add a layer of moisturizer after the serum. I must say, I'm really loving Olay these days. Thanks, Makeup Alley & Paula's Choice, for the great recommendations!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Got this at Target for $12.39 to replace my beloved Cerave AM SPF30 which unfortunately does not offer broad UV protection.

I do not recommend this sunscreen at all if you have dry skin. I have dry skin but use plenty of serums and heavy moisturizers underneath sunscreen, so I thought I could get away with it - NOPE. My face was so tight after about an hour's wear.
It takes about 20 minutes for this sunscreen to set and leaves a nice glow, not greasy looking so I think this would be more suited for oily-normal skinned people.

With that being said, this is a good sunscreen for daily wear. Great for when you don't leave the house (UVA rays still attack you through your windows), going to the office, or shopping. It is not water-resistant so when people leave negative reviews because it didn't hold up for a day at the beach, gardening, or attending an outdoor sporting event- it kind of bothers me.

This sunscreen also contains a small amount of Niaminicide. If you are sensitive to that ingredient, you may have a reaction.
I use 3 pumps for my face (1/4 teaspoon), 1 pump for my neck, and then 1 pump on my cleavage wrinkles.

on 10/21/2015 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm really impressed with this moisturizer. I've been using expensive moisturizers for years but decided to give this one a try. I have acne prone skin and it has not caused any breakouts. It provides just enough moisture for my oily skin. It doesn't feel greasy or cakey and is fantastic under my liquid foundation. I don't think it would provide enough moisture for someone with dry skin skin though.

on 10/14/2015 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Impressive product for the price and overall I would recommend; however, it was not enough moisture for me. It didn't irritate my sensitive skin and I really liked the consistency, but just not enough moisture. This says more about my skin than the product - I struggle with spf products for this reason.

I tried it, gave it to my mother, and went back to my tried and true Olay Total Effects SPF 15 which I find provides my skin sufficient moisture. (Don't worry, I apply a proper sunscreen if I'm going to be outside!)