Bonne Bell Lip Lix

No Image

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

I bought 2 of these lip balms many years ago when they first came out & I fell in love with them. After forgetting about them, I recently rediscovered an unopened one in the bottom of my makeup drawer & fell in love with the Lip Lix product all over again. This is the original product, in the Chapstick type tube. I have never used the more recent, updated Lip Lix gloss. I adore this product so much that I have spent a good amount of time searching for it on the internet since it has been discontinued. A few days ago I found some on eBay, sold as a grouping of 9 different shades & snatched them up (for $13.00!!) A few of the tubes are a bit sticky, due to age I assume but, most are still soft & buttery. Out of the 9 neutral shades, there is only 1 that I don't care for as it is a very pale, almost grey color that isn't flattering on me. They don't seem to have much flavor to them but, that's fine as I am only concerned about the color & feel of the product. I use these every day whether as a base for my lipsticks, lip liners, gloss or just by themselves. These are one of my favorite cosmetic purchases ever & they are cheap!

on 1/18/2008 10:40:00 AM

PROS: moisturizing, has a hint of color

CONS: the flavor i have is hotfudge sundae but it doesn't have that taste, taste more of a lipstick!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I remember having these in middle school - a vanilla one (forget the name), Cant-Elope (?), Choc-It-Up (which my sister stole), and my favorite, Gettin' Punchy (smelled JUST like Hawaiian Punch, but looked bad on me!). A LOT of those colors were pretty much flavored lipstick! I was sad when they were discontinued...

However when they sorta "came back," I decided to give them a try. I was hoping they'd bring back Gettin' Punchy (ya know, for nostalgia value, haha), but I DID get to try Espress-Yo-Self, one that I had been meaning to get but never got. I really don't like the thin incarnation of them now, but I love how sheer the color is on them.

the last strawberry is so pretty and smells really good. i just wish the bigger tubes were still around bc it doesnt seem to last very long now.

I wish these were big, like in the earlier days of lip lix. I have the "I mint to call you" one, and it reminds me of the Cover Girl gloss my mom used to wear!

I like the fact that it has a subtle pink/beige shimmer, so that you can layer it over glosses, or not pull as much attention to your mouth with smoky eyes, or one of those "I don't feel like wearing makeup" days.

It goes on pretty smooth, but the tube that holds the stick together wasn't set very well, so it slid down to the top and smooshed itself into a beveled point. :(

I would buy it again, if it weren't so popular around here!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I got this in Choc-It-Up and it's not great. I cannot smell any yumminess. I do like how it moisturizes and the tint, though. It's a caramel-y brown tint. The look of the package is cute too. I wouldn't have bought this if it wasn't on sale.

on 2/14/2004 2:47:00 AM

I had the old ones in Gimme S'more a shimmery medium beige (which was my HG nude lippie), and Choc-It-Up which was a medium grayed brown that smelled like fudge. The texture was really soft but tended to crumble and melt. Like most Bonne Bell stuff they are just fun stuff to play with but I won't be buying these again. continued >>

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Just like Lip Smackers, only tinier and less tasty. (I have one in Go Berry Wild--it came free with a Lip D'votion.)

on 11/20/2003 3:06:00 PM

I like these a lot. I use them like I would a regular lip balm. The color is sheer enough that you can apply anytime, anywhere, without need of a mirror. They moisturize like a lip balm, but have a bit of color (MLBB), which is nice for work. I should say I don't like to wear lipstick much and have to keep reapplying, but I do use lip balm all day, so these are a good compromise. I have espresso-yo-self (sheer burgundy/brown), Like U Latte (sheer shimmery nude--probably my favorite), and Last Strawberry (sheer pinkish nude with sparkles). My only complaint with the packaging is that I keep wanting to pull off the bottom part instead of the cap. I don't know why, its like the cap doesn't look like a cap to me, the bottom part that twists up to raise it looks more like a cap.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Why didn't I discover these sooner. I remember these being out in the late 90s by the bundle. Back then, I bought the Last Strawberry (a frosty neutral meduim pink) and Macho Mocha (a nude pinky brown shade). Though, I wasn't crazy about the sheerness back then, I didn't go back to buy any more colors.

Now, I've rediscovered them and kicked myself for not buying more when they still existed.

Now there are newer Lip Lix, in thinner tubes. Though I have bought the new Last Strawberry and I Scream, they just don't compare to the old ones. Maybe I'm not used to the packaging. It would be nice if they brough back more of the older scents/colors.