MAC Cosmetics Viva Glam V Lipglass [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Black
MAC Cosmetics Viva Glam V Lipglass [DISCONTINUED]

4.4

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Let me start off by saying that I hate lip glosses. The mirror-shiny look just isn't appealing at all to me. It's just a huge turn-off.
That said, this lip gloss is an exception. The color is a univerally-flattering shade. I would describe it as an MLBB warm shimmery pinky mauve--gorgeous! My only complaint would be the shimmer...I don't like shimmer on my lips; it just looks unnatural and unflattering.
The texture is very smooth, but it's also pretty sticky! MAC Lip Glasses are known to be sticky, and this one is no exception. I once wore this lip gloss to school on a very windy day with my hair down...bad decision! My hair constantly flew into my face and stuck to my lips. It got annoying so I had to take off the lip gloss.
The packaging isn't really special or anything, but no complaints about it here! Comes in a hardy, easy-to-carry-around, no-frills plastic tube.
The applicator is really nice. It's a doefoot applicator, so it's very soft (I know this sounds weird, but I love the feeling of it against my lips!), and it allows for precise application. I have geisha-shaped lips (full lips that are thick/wide but not long. If you don't get what I mean, look up "geisha lips" on Google Images) for reference.
The finish is exactly what the names implies: lip glass. They make my lips literally as shiny as glass, which might appeal to some people, but not me--definitely an unattractive look in my opinion. So I apply it in minimal amounts and then blot my lips once or twice to achieve the perfect slightly-shiny look (which I like).
I'm only rating this a 4 because of the stickiness and shimmer, but other than that, I love this lip gloss! It's the only lip gloss that I can tolerate (hmmm, does that mean that this is my HG?), and I've had this lip gloss since I was in 6th grade (yeah, this was one of my first lip glosses), which should tell you a lot, considering I'm in 11th grade now and I'm STILL using it.
And, yes, I like this better than the lipstick version.
Would I repurchase? Yes!

on 11/24/2011 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!! This, i believe was one of my first ever makeup purchases. I still have it, and i should probably throw it out and buy another one, but i digress.
--------------
SHADE: I'm probably an NC44 in MAC and i wear Warm Honey in Bobbi Brown foundation stick. THis is the perfect lipgloss colour for my lips and skintone(i have heavy yellow undertones). Nothing else matches this.
-------------
TEXTURE: Very very moisturising, makes my lips super soft , super supple and feels really really good. Slightly sticky, but i don't really care. Feels better than your Revlon Starburst Lipglosses(which are not bad imo).
-------------
STAYING POWER: The moisturising lasts a looong time. Seriously. I wore it to sleep and woke up with the same super soft lips. It even helps with burning, chapped lips, i'm not kidding. It lasts longer than my NYX lipliner. The colour wears off though.
-------------
PRICE: I bought it for S$28 in here in Singapore. Expensive compared to buying in the US, but whatever. Sunk cost. Plus i actually like it. So i don't mind.....that much.

*2.5 Stars* I really wanted to love this lipglass after all the rave on it and the lipstick. It ended up being really dark on me and made my lips not neutral but a muddy brown color. The gold shimmer in this gloss is beautiful but doesn't take away from the mud-like color. In the packaging, it is a neutral browned pink with gold shimmer.
I like the formula of the MAC lipglass: slightly tacky, but lasts longer than the average lipgloss with a warm vanilla aroma with non-gritty shimmer. The applicator is a standard doefoot.
I am not sure if this was just my batch of lipgloss because I was expecting a more noticeable pink undertone to make this more wearable. Sadly, this lipgloss might be getting the boot.. Luckily, the money from the purchase goes to charity or else, I would be completely dissatisfied. Online swatches and the MAC description ended up being false for me. However, if it works, it works! But for me, the color contrasted too deeply from my skintone and comfort zone for lip colors.

on 11/24/2009 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this. It is my go-to lipglass when I want just a hint of color on my "I don't want to feel made up" days.

It's perfect!

on 4/16/2009 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i bought this today and this is THE perfect nude lipgloss for my NC45 skintone!!! i love how its not sticky and that part of the proceeds go towards a great cause. VG5 is a pretty brown/pink/mauve color with a touch of gold shimmer. HG!!! Yay!!!

on 7/26/2008 8:35:00 AM

I have heard tons and tons of reviews on this product from youtube and on here how it suits every skin tone. So finally I decided to give in and try it. So I went to the local MAC counter and tried the VIVA GLAM V lipstick and the swatch on my hand looked great but when I tried it on my lips( after getting it sanitized), it looked kinda frosty on my lips. As a reference, I am a dark-skin toned, using NC45- NC50 as foundation.
So I decided to try the lip gloss and boy I fell in love with it! It is the exact same shade( duh) but doesnt look frosty at all like the lipstick.
It definitely one of my favorite lip gloss of all time, cause it gives this nice neutral look with a slight pink hue ( maybe darker on fair skin tones) and if you put it over a darker lipstick it is ready for night time!

If you have'nt tried it, try it, its awesome!!

on 5/11/2008 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Gorgeous colour (tan Asian). Not too sticky + good staying power. Definately recommend

on 4/24/2008 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

For reference: I'm NC44 (think Latina coloring of the "natural tanned" look) with plum-toned bare lips.

I bought this as a "My Lips But Better" to nude gloss. Generally, the stuff store SA's recommend as nude make me look dead and decomposing. The MLBB's that have been recommended look...like clear gloss.

This has a mauvey color with a lot of sparkle. My lips (plummy) are brightened up by this--a tad lighter but the sparkling adds a nice dimension. I find that for my coloring, this a great "shine but not much color" look. A natural gloss that improves the dimension of my lips.

I haven't tried it yet on lipsticks to see what effects I can get, but I love it as a simple "shine me up/brighten my face" without looking done up.

It lasts nicely. Yesterday, I drank some OJ and still had gloss remaining afterwards. I even had a hard time washing the gloss off the glass, which goes to show how tenacious the gloss is.

The color goes really well with the tone of my gums (that particular pink of the gums). I think that combo (enhances my plummy lips and reflects my pinkish gums) is what makes it a really great "natural" but better gloss for darker gals. (And a nice mauvey color for fairer gals.)

T

on 1/19/2008 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

MLBB - perfect for the neutral/soft lip look that comes with the smokey eyes. Love the tiny gold flecks and warm tone that suits my asian skin. Bad points is the staying power. - and sometimes I get paranoid that the build up on my lower lip will get to my teeth somehow. But Im willing to risk that for the flattering colour.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great colour payoff, average staying power. A perfect MLBB shade, but pity, MAC lipglasses dry my lips out really really really bad leaving those whitish flakes of dead skin at the rims of my lips. It's not just me alone, I see that happening to my friends too... Why is that so??