Cover Girl Cheekers Blush in Deep Rose

Price: $

on 9/24/2016 1:31:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Story time!
Yesterday, I was helping my 80 year old grandma apply makeup before a doctors appointment and found a ~20 year old pan of this in her cosmetic bag among some old revlon and wnw lipsticks from the 70's and 80's! (She just keeps them because they're cool, using 40 year old lipstick is a no-no) But this item in particular caught my eye.. From what she told me and by the looks of it, it is without a doubt, old as or even older than I am (pre-1990.) It has the black plastic case with gold writing on the clear lid and the faint (or so I thought) remains of the infamous medicinal scent unique to old school makeup. I had never worn such a vibrant pink/red shade of blush since I am quite pale and yellow/olive toned and own nothing like it although I have owned and used CG blushes before. And I am fascinated with old cosmetics so needless to say, I just had to try it out! With permission from granny, of course.

Application was easier than I thought it would be, just used a very light hand and came away with a natural, and quite sexy looking flush that matched nicely with the wnw dark wine lippie and winged black eyeliner I usually wear. Had a little date with the boyfriend and wanted to look special so, quite pleased with the antique sex flush on my face, I went to meet him and.. Well.. He said "wow! You look great!" which was awesome until he leaned in to kiss me.. *Sniff sniff* "what is that smell? You smell like a grandma!" Lol! We had a good laugh and then I promised not to wear it anymore, since the scent sorta burned my eyes anyway. Sad, because I love the color.

Perhaps it's age made it go rancid since I didn't put it that close to my eyes, just along my cheekbones which are so high they are almost androgynous but other than that it's a good product. Granny doesn't remember what she paid for it but it probably wasn't much! The pigmentation is perfect for such a vibrant color which starts off sheer but is buildable. Gives a nice natural flushed look and its actually quite blendable over face powder. It's something different from the neutral contouring and pale peachy blushes that are popular these days, and would certainly be WOC friendly. If they had not discontinued it I would definitely buy a new pan since they don't put the obnoxema smell anymore, but sadly this shade is no more. It was fun, anyway. Maybe I'll use it for my Boy George costume this halloween but for now, I'm on to newer and less stinky things. Happy face painting, but for the love of god don't get it too close to your eyes!

Addendum: Also, mature women (grandmas) do not stink. But men are known for saying stupid things right? I love them anyway.

Omg. This is my favorite blush by far. I picked this up at a dollar store maybe a year and a half ago and just recently finished the entire pan! I couldn't find it anywhere and went on a crazy blush shopping spree to see if i could find anything that i loved as much as this...and while i've sinced amassed a ton (and i mean, A TON) of new blushes in really awesome and bright colors, i don't love them as much as i love this. Luckily, while browsing at Beautyland in Newtown, PA (one of my fave stores ever!) i spotted them! I bought two, but am actually considering buying a few more to keep when these run out...which i don't think will ever happen considering my almost embarrasingly huge blush stash!

on 6/12/2009 12:23:00 PM

In the pan, this color is a vibrant, yet deep rose (hence the name, I guess!). Very similar to MAC Frankly Scarlet, not quite a perfect dupe as it isn't nearly as pigmented, but this may work better for some individuals. It buffs out easily to a nice sheer yet vibrant color. Could easily achieve that just-came-in-from-the-cold look with this color. And for $1 to boot...

on 7/31/2008 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

R/O for pics...

Apparently this is discontinued because I found at at a dollar store and it is no longer on the CG website. It was called Deep Rose number 166.
Anyway this is a beautiful "just got in from the cold" blush. It looks very bright in the pan, but when I swiped it on my finger I was glad I picked this up. It only looks super pigmented in the pan, but when picked up on a brush (or finger, I guess) this turns into a sheerer buildable natural rosy flush color. And to reiterate, the brush sucks. Obviously. No need to tell you to get a new one :D

I realize that the texture isn't as FINE as more expensive blush, obviously, but if you're looking for a cheap natural rosy blush, head on over to your local Dollar Tree stores.

Be wary that CG blushes contain TALC and Mineral oil. This doesn't seem to bother my oily/acne prone skin. Since its CG, theres the ever nostalgic fragrance that you either love or hate. I don't mind it. Plus the scent on this blush has long faded.

SWATCHES:

I don't know if you can tell, but there is two swipes of color. The top is just 1 layer, while the bottom is several. This is how I know blush looks natural... when it looks like my skin looks like its been pinched. LOL.

continued >>

on 11/14/2005 10:50:00 AM

I love this color. I used one similar in Lancome and they d/c'd it. It is very healthy-looking. The color is sheer, it is kind of scary red in the package but completely different on my cheeks. It gives me a natural blush, with so many plums and browns out there that DON'T work on my skin tone, it is refreshing to find this little gem. It lasts a long time because you don't need much for a soft glow! Cheep too, about $3 a pop. I don't use the included brush, I use my Bare Escentuals blush brush. Will buy Cheekers again and again!

Wanted to try something different than my normal peachy/apricot blushes and this one really stood out to me--it's a very deep red. I don't have to use hardly any at all and it makes my cheeks look naturally rosy, I just have to be careful not to go overboard with it because it can easily look shocking if you put on too much. Would probably look great on any skin tone as it is just that universal rosy cheek color.

on 9/25/2004 3:49:00 PM

This blush is a great drugstore option if you want to try a real red blush (it's about your only option for this kind of shade at a drugstore). But if you're really into this color, it's worth the money to spring for a higher quality version like Shu p red 19d, or MAC Frankly scarlet. It's a little tricky to use a shade this dramatic with a powder texture that isn't VERY finely milled. I have to really work to make this look un-clownish on me, but for the price, this is a fun one for playing around with.

I bought this color blush cause I was looking for something similar to Bare Escentuals "crushed velvet" which is like the color of a ruby so I went to Cvs and thought I'd try this and save $$$ and I love it so far its very pigmented and I use a light hand and its the perfect cool toned deep rose color for my Snow White face!

Update: No longer using this cause I feel its a little too warm for my complexion and let be honest there is better quality blushes out there

on 5/23/2004 12:20:00 AM

I have had this blush for years now-- we are talking more than 5, and I have yet to hit metal. This blush is so pigmented that you only need a very small amount for rosy cheeks. This color looks perfect on my PPP skin as well as my summer tan-ish skin. I would definitely repurchase but I don't think I will ever have to-- this lasts forever. My HG blush.

I wanted to have this really glow look on my face like you get when you first come from the cold winter day outside.

The color is *so* strong, like when I apply it, it doesn't blend. It looks like I got slapped or something. UGH!!!!